Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1112575' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:04 PM']Is that RoundAboutSound NJE?[/quote]

Yeah mark is getting them in, cant wait to try them, I see poverty in my future if they are even 1/10th as good as the handmade ones.

[quote name='hubrad' post='1112609' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:36 PM']A taster..[attachment=70901:Overwater1.JPG][attachment=70902:Overwater2.JPG]

:) :)[/quote]

Hmmm, I like em... but.... at risk of sounding hard to please - I'd luv a classic j 5 string. Still, 3 tone sunburst contemporary j would look nice, and perhaps some semi- custom options like scratchplates would be possible for a modest fee?

[quote name='crez5150' post='787055' date='Mar 26 2010, 03:36 PM']Iconic bass guitar luthier teams up with Tanglewood for 'aspirational' mid-priced instruments
Chris May, whose Overwater custom bass guitar brand celebrates 30 years in 2010, has teamed up with Tanglewood guitars to create Overwater by Tanglewood, a range of bass guitars designed and overseen by May.

The initial launch at Musikmesse sees Tanglewood's new stand in the electric guitar hall showing four new models in the Aspiration series with prices ranging form £329 to £899. A fifth model will be added soon to bridge the gap between the £549 mark and the top of the range £899.

Overwater basses (of which a fiver string model is pictured) are among the most revered in the world and are played by professionals in all walks of music, and May has been keen on getting into a more accessible price range for some time.

"When Tony (Flatt) came to me with the idea, I knew the time was finally right," said May.

"Tanglewood has an excellent reputation for its quality in the mass market of acoustic guitars and, importantly for me, is a British company.

The development process has taken some 18 months, with May bringing in a team of experts in the luthiery business, including the pickup technician, Alan Entwistle, bass electronics 'guru' John East.

"The beauty of the project is that Tanglewood told me to design the guitars, using the components and designs I wanted and then we would look at how much they would cost," May continued. "This meant we could consider everything very carefully."

This is now the second project Tanglewood has undertaken with a top luthier, following on from the success with Michael Sanden and the Master Design series of acoustic guitars.

Tanglewood has also launched a new range of electric guitars at the show (the Signature series), a new range of gigbags (Original Airline) and is showing its new Historic series acoustics.[/quote]

With regard to this OP..I would be very wary of this tactic. It is the watering down of a marque, IMV...and a path many have gone down. I don't like to see it... but maybe it was a hard decision between trying to compete with more 'illustrious' luthiers and coming up short and cashing in and taking a back seat.

It is s business decision that will live or die but I can't see it being good for owners of classic Overwaters..

Just my POV... maybe, in the same position, I would take the money and run.

That is how it reads to me...

[quote name='JTUK' post='1117436' date='Feb 6 2011, 10:38 AM']With regard to this OP..I would be very wary of this tactic. It is the watering down of a marque, IMV...and a path many have gone down. I don't like to see it... but maybe it was a hard decision between trying to compete with more 'illustrious' luthiers and coming up short and cashing in and taking a back seat.

It is s business decision that will live or die but I can't see it being good for owners of classic Overwaters..

Just my POV... maybe, in the same position, I would take the money and run.

That is how it reads to me...[/quote]
A valid point, JTUK, and this was also my first reaction when I heard about it. However on reflection I think that, as long as the quality works out as Chris May intends, these will complement the UK range nicely.
I'm an Overwater convert anyway, and to me they're really worth the money. Most folks I know are as follows:
1) "Tried them, love'em, got one (or more)!"
2) "Tried them, love'em, but can't afford one"
3) "Tried them, doesn't work for me"
4) "OverWHO?"

I personally think these are aimed at cat.4: if the name is better known rather than being some mystic whisper never backed up by playing the real thing then more people are likely to move towards the other categories, hopefully cat.1. Chris seems to have had a very close involvement with this project and is very much putting his name behind the basses. I am heartened by this! He's going to be checking and setting up at least the first couple of batches himself.
Also, if the previous paragraph works as a concept, it could actually increase the second hand value of the UK basses, as the problem with their resale value (I'm not interested in selling mine anyway!) is lack of brand awareness, IMHO.

Onwards and upwards!

Chris May was at the Moffat Bass Bash yesterday with an example of each model.
They are outstandingly good and undeniably Overwaters, ( or Tanglewaters as he calls them).
The fret work on the one I really examined is outstanding.
I had a very long chat with him and he has got it right IMHO.

[quote name='hubrad' post='1118704' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:09 AM']A valid point, JTUK, and this was also my first reaction when I heard about it. However on reflection I think that, as long as the quality works out as Chris May intends, these will complement the UK range nicely.
I'm an Overwater convert anyway, and to me they're really worth the money. Most folks I know are as follows:
1) "Tried them, love'em, got one (or more)!"
2) "Tried them, love'em, but can't afford one"
3) "Tried them, doesn't work for me"
4) "OverWHO?"

I personally think these are aimed at cat.4: if the name is better known rather than being some mystic whisper never backed up by playing the real thing then more people are likely to move towards the other categories, hopefully cat.1. Chris seems to have had a very close involvement with this project and is very much putting his name behind the basses. I am heartened by this! He's going to be checking and setting up at least the first couple of batches himself.
Also, if the previous paragraph works as a concept, it could actually increase the second hand value of the UK basses, as the problem with their resale value (I'm not interested in selling mine anyway!) is lack of brand awareness, IMHO.

Onwards and upwards![/quote]

I agree totally.

I've got a OW J5 that looks pretty much like the blue Tanglewater but cost consderably more. These affordable models will bring the Overwater name and brand to many more players out there, who will enjoy the instruments and hopefully progress onto the big brother models.

[quote name='woodster' post='1118951' date='Feb 7 2011, 02:42 PM'][url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/ow_tanglewood.html"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/ow_tanglewood.html[/url][/quote]
Nicely spotted, woodster.. that wasn't there a few days back!
I particularly like this bit:
'But it has long been an aspiration to be able to offer a line of ‘off the peg’ Overwater instruments at prices available to everyone – though equally important to maintain the standards we have always stood for - without compromise in design, build quality or playability!'

[quote name='woodster' post='1118951' date='Feb 7 2011, 02:42 PM'][url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/ow_tanglewood.html"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/ow_tanglewood.html[/url][/quote]

Finally! Seeing them in the high res pics they look very nice indeed.

Still a bit limited on info tho (doesn't say scale length of 5's - must be 35" like his others surely?) and haven't seen the choice of colours there yet.

Don't seem to be any of the listed dealers stocking any yet either. I'm keeping them peeled.

[quote name='owen' post='1119641' date='Feb 7 2011, 11:25 PM']5 string J? Please?[/quote]
[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/index.php?page=Contemporary_J"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/index.php?page=Contemporary_J[/url] perhaps?

Like BassBunny, I had a chat with Chris May at Moffat, and a play on the 5-string Deluxe (though not through an amp). Comfortable neck, easy to play, impressive detailing - very good quality instruments. I don't think it's diluting the brand - while they are high quality, they form a coherent family which is obviously not part of the top end family. In fact, it's a rather different approach to Fender and Warwick who both produced full-fat and budget versions of the same model.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='owen_87' post='1132309' date='Feb 18 2011, 03:03 PM']I'm interested to see how the Classic J will stack up compared to a Fender. Considering that has an RRP of £399 it is a hundred or so cheaper that a Mexican Precision or Jazz at the moment.[/quote]

The Bass Collection P and J basses are getting good reviews too - they're made in S Korea and are about the same price as these Overwaters (if not a bit cheaper) for a more straightforward Fender Jazz or Precision copy. If I'm not mistaken they look a lot like the Lakland Skyline Osborne/Glaub basses that were made in Korea until a couple of years back - I wonder if it's the same factory using the same tooling? If so you can't go far wrong- I use two Korean Skylines and I can't fault the build quality - they live in a van all year and are never far out of tune when I get them out the case even in these quiet months when I might not have seen them for a few weeks. My Skyline DJ5 is a keeper - absolutely nails it every time I plug it in.

I still want to see someone stocking these Tanglewaters/Overwoods to see what they're like in the hand. I think a nice 35" classic J 5 string would be hard to resist... but they don't seem to make one :)

[quote name='sime17' post='1132812' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:35 PM']I still want to see someone stocking these Tanglewaters/Overwoods to see what they're like in the hand.[/quote]

Me too. I phoned Overwater this week and was in contact with what I suspect will be my nearest dealer but news and dates are all very vague. Shame really, a lot of noise but a bit lacking in follow up. Personally getting a bit fed up. :)