Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

Well, I waited until the end of the day the Bass Guitar show (a little bit quieter) to have a go of the deluxe, jazz and artist. These are seriously nice basses and in my opinion, have set the bar for this price point. Nice and punchy with a very good feel and a good weight.
My personal favourite was the Artist, based purely on the fact that it appeared to be a bass that I could grab hold of, roll the p/u pan towards the MM bridge pick up and play. Simple and very funky.
Also, the J p/u was good and the bright switch (volume push/pull) did exactly what it says on the tin.
So impressed, I'm now collecting mine this week !

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1159928' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:15 PM']Tried a Jazz 5 and really liked it but couldn't buy one at the show. There was a guy on the OW stand who just came over while I was playing it through the TC combo - he muttered something and then turned the amp off..so I thought oh well keep your bass then. £600 sale lost.[/quote]

Not good :)

Well, in a moment of madness at the bass guitar show yesterday I went and bought the classic J model on the Bass Merchant stand. The build quality and finish are excellent especially considering the price. It sounds good too and there's quite a variety of tones avaible. One feature that I like is that instead of the two volume controls and one volume control that you'd find on a standard jazz, there is a master volume, a pickup blend and a tone control.

looking forward to rehearsal tonight so I can see how it sounds with the band.

Here's some pics

[attachment=74718:DSC_0006_edited_1.JPG]

[attachment=74719:DSC_0001_edited_1.jpg]

[attachment=74720:DSC_0003_edited_1.JPG]

[quote name='SlackAlice' post='1160667' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:42 PM']Yes I had a look at the Contemprary J in blue yesterday at the Bass Show - it's a beauty!......didn't have chance to play it unfortunately (wouldn't have heard myself anyway!). Very tempted to invest in one but would like to test it out in a 'quieter' environment :)

Angie[/quote]
Oh you mean this one ? I was very impressed with it. Image featuring niceguyhomer and MythSte :).

[quote name='Machines' post='1160676' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:48 PM']Oh you mean this one ? I was very impressed with it. Image featuring niceguyhomer and MythSte :).

[/quote]

That's the one..... They had a 4 string reduced to £399 by mid-afternoon as apparently it had fallen off the bracket & was damaged! They sold it though.

Angie

[quote name='Machines' post='1160676' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:48 PM']Oh you mean this one ? I was very impressed with it. Image featuring niceguyhomer and MythSte :).[/quote]

Image featuring niceguyhomer and MythSte :) just before the OW guy came and switched the amp off?.

[quote name='spike' post='1160660' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:32 PM']Well, in a moment of madness at the bass guitar show yesterday I went and bought the classic J model on the Bass Merchant stand. The build quality and finish are excellent especially considering the price. It sounds good too and there's quite a variety of tones avaible. One feature that I like is that instead of the two volume controls and one volume control that you'd find on a standard jazz, there is a master volume, a pickup blend and a tone control.

Here's some pics

[attachment=74720:DSC_0003_edited_1.JPG][/quote]
Oh god, that is gusset-dampeningly lovely. I want a 5 string just like that one please.

[quote name='spike' post='1160660' date='Mar 13 2011, 04:32 PM']Well, in a moment of madness at the bass guitar show yesterday I went and bought the classic J model on the Bass Merchant stand. The build quality and finish are excellent especially considering the price. It sounds good too and there's quite a variety of tones avaible. One feature that I like is that instead of the two volume controls and one volume control that you'd find on a standard jazz, there is a master volume, a pickup blend and a tone control.

Here's some pics

[attachment=74720:DSC_0003_edited_1.JPG][/quote]

Agreed, lovely bass for sure, great price and by far the best colour, nice buy enjpoy.

Definately liked what I saw at the show. Played the "Classic J" and for under £400, was blown away.
In case this thread is read by anyone from Overwater, can I please reiterate my request for a "Original" shape (a la Craig Adams from the Mission) to be added to this range?
As the missus knows that has always been my dream bass, I already have the "green light"!

looking forward to rehearsal tonight so I can see how it sounds with the band.[/quote]
As a prospective buyer of a Contemporary J (prefer a 4-string) I am going to sound cheap - but is a gig bag or case included? Also I do have Schaller Strap locks on my other bass (Cort C5h) and the Vintage v940b that was sold. So what do the Tanglewaters have?

I'm just sitting on my hands waiting for the local dealer to get them in the shop.

And how did it sound?

I had a play on them on Sunday and was impressed. The guy on the OW stand (sorry, I've forgotten your name) was incredibly helpful and forced some of the more expensive Overwaters into my hands even though I'd already said I couldn't afford them. Was very close to leaving with one but they just missed a bit of a spark for me. If they'd had a maple boarded one in black and in the non-jazz shape, I'd probably have struggled to come home empty handed.

Just having another drooling session :) (sorry I can't help it, it's my age) on the OW site.

For a non-adept such as myself, could somebody clarify how the controls work on the Contemporary Jazz? The blurb says Volume (pull for bright), 3-band EQ and pickup pan, but there are only 4 controls? :)

[quote name='ead' post='1163565' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:40 PM']Just having another drooling session :) (sorry I can't help it, it's my age) on the OW site.

For a non-adept such as myself, could somebody clarify how the controls work on the Contemporary Jazz? The blurb says Volume (pull for bright), 3-band EQ and pickup pan, but there are only 4 controls? :lol:[/quote]

Hi Ead,

I do believe there has been some miss information regarding the contemporary jazz bass circuit, its actually a two band. Volume(pull bright), pan, treble, bass. hope this helps :)

There's one for sale on EBay already :

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290545468384&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1079"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3#ht_500wt_1079[/url]

Looks like the blue one in the pics above?

Edited by molan

[quote name='martin lee' post='1163574' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:49 PM']Hi Ead,

I do believe there has been some miss information regarding the contemporary jazz bass circuit, its actually a two band. Volume(pull bright), pan, treble, bass. hope this helps :)[/quote]

Thanks very much for the info, I just assumed I was thick :)

It is the one from the show. The seller (different username to eBay) had it on here first until I queried it with him then he pulled it a he didn't want members here to think he was after a quick buck !
[quote name='molan' post='1163700' date='Mar 15 2011, 09:03 PM']There's one for sale on EBay already :

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290545468384&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1079"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3#ht_500wt_1079[/url]

Looks like the blue one in the pics above?[/quote]

[quote name='Machines' post='1163811' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:22 PM']It is the one from the show. The seller (different username to eBay) had it on here first until I queried it with him then he pulled it a he didn't want members here to think he was after a quick buck ![/quote]

Which he is.