Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

[quote name='Rich' post='812375' date='Apr 20 2010, 11:27 AM']I'm still willing to bet that the majority of players would choose a 'normal' shaped bass over a wilder alternative. Although I am of course just voicing my own opinion here and speaking for myself and so on.[/quote]

For me, the problem with those Overwater designs is that (for whatever reason) they appear to be rather cool exercises in moderation and restraint and therefore fail to excite as a result. There are dozens of basses that look like them (or a bit like them) on the market already.

We all know bass guitars are pretty similar between bridge and nut... and they also usually sound [i]very[/i] similar too because of ubiquitous pickup designs and the small spectrum of materials available. In reality, that really only leaves one major area you can experiment with and strive to make an impact; the exploration of line, colour, and the relationship with the body in terms of shape, balance, style and ergonomic features. Unfortunately, I can't see any evidence of that in these very plain designs. It looks like someone has simply drawn around an existing design and presented that to the client.

It might have been more interesting to give the job to a designer instead of a guitar maker to see what would happen (I'm reminded of the Ned Steinberger story).

For anyone who missed it, here's a link to BigRed X's fantastic thread featuring adventurous guitar design:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5525&hl=Weird+wonderful"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...Weird+wonderful[/url]

Hi Spoombung & BigRedX, I really understand, and support your opinions on having less conservative designs, there really should be room for more weird and wonderful. But as one of you admitted, one of your previous forays into the murky world of capitalism didn't work out. How about setting up a new, seperate thread on bass design rather than raining on Overwater's parade and let us dullards support them in what should be a really great commercial venture for a well respected bass company?

Cheers,
Mike

[quote name='Spoombung' post='812977' date='Apr 20 2010, 08:23 PM']It might have been more interesting to give the job to a designer instead of a guitar maker to see what would happen (I'm reminded of the Ned Steinberger story).[/quote]

I know where you're coming from, involving designers from outside the musical instrument field can produce some interesting results - the Musicman Bongo was a collaboration with BMW as far as I recall, and from what I've heard, the majority of folks who actually get their hands on them are very enthusiastic about the results.
One thing to consider though, is the fact that Musicman has an enormous corporate backing, which I'm sure could sell "the emperor's new bass" to some folks if they wanted to.
I don't think Overwater are doing anything wrong here, they're sticking, roughly, to what's made them a success.
I'm going to reserve judgment till I see the final models.

Regardless though, I wish them all the best with the new venture.

Eude

[quote name='hubrad' post='812371' date='Apr 20 2010, 11:25 AM']As an Overwater fan and player, I'm quite excited about these - Having spoken to Chris, I'm looking forward to getting me hands around one sometime to see what a job it's been possible to do at the price. Everything he says suggests he's going about this the right way and wants more than just a cheapy with the name on the headstock.
If the new models are anywhere even vaguely approaching the quality of the Progress and Jazz range they'll be sock-blower-offers!
As someone said earlier, if you can get a good 5 string fretless into this price range.. we could convert more players to the path of fretlessness! :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

I have spec'ed a fretless Hugh - and that's another area where we needed to be specific; usually in a production situation, a fretless tends to be just a fretted model without frets - an after thought - like left handed (!). But we are looking at either walnut or mahogany (instead of ash) for the fretless body to help with that classic fretless mid-range swell...

Chris

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='813072' date='Apr 20 2010, 09:21 PM']How about setting up a new, seperate thread on bass design rather than raining on Overwater's parade and let us dullards support them in what should be a really great commercial venture for a well respected bass company?

Cheers,
Mike[/quote]

Yes, that's a good point and I think I should probably refrain from any more comments about the Overwater designs as I admit I am [i]very [/i]critical of them. I get the feeling criticism of instrument design is not altogether welcome here anyway; that's evidenced in the frequent[i] 'each to his own'[/i] and [i]'that's just your opinion' [/i]comments that pop up over these issues. Opinions aren't welcomed on the subject... unless asked for.

I'm sure the Overwater basses will play and sound okay. They have plenty of fans.

However, I will bow out by saying that I feel every new decade needs something fresh and funky in terms of mass-produced instrument design and 2010 is in great need of new, innovative bass designs that stand out with real indentity and grab attention. I can only confess that I find the all pervading output of anonymous yet familiar templates, the same old shapes, the Fender-cloning and vintage conservatism (regarding mass-produced models from well known companies) a bit depressing...afterall...we've had over a decade of it!

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='813989' date='Apr 21 2010, 05:44 PM']thats all fine, but why do you feel that overwater should be the one to complete your vision?[/quote]

Oh, I'm just jealous, really, as I'd like a golden opportunity to design a mass produced bass. It's nothing more than that. Also, I don't know what Overwater's brief was from Tanglewood. For all I know it could have been "Design us four anonymous-looking basses that you think will sell like hot cakes. Nothing too out the ordinary, please."

Anyway, I said I wouldn't make any more comments, I'll dig myself into trouble.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished instruments & a 5 string fretless would really be of interest.
The only thing I'm not too keen on is how pointy the top horn is, the size is fine but if it was squared off a little so it didn't look 80's (like the tip of most Overwater top horns).

[quote name='xgsjx' post='814532' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:09 AM']I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished instruments & a 5 string fretless would really be of interest.
The only thing I'm not too keen on is how pointy the top horn is, the size is fine but if it was squared off a little so it didn't look 80's (like the tip of most Overwater top horns).[/quote]
I'm really into my 5 string FLs... I chopped the head off my original one, which was basically a P copy. Improved the balance no end, if you pardon the pun!
The Overwater Progress III, which has that bit more pointy horn going on, balances beautifully.. it's not just held there by art, you know but still I find it pleasing to behold. :) :rolleyes:
Even their Jazz 5, which doesn't look so out of the ordinary, balances spot on which is great for a half-ton bass.
Here's hoping for a 5FL in the range - not enough affordable ones around IMHO.

Edited by hubrad

I think Chris is onto a winner with these!

They ARE a success already - as Chris says, they are a series of instruments in their own right and if someone wants one, they will buy one! Take it from me, I've designed basses over the years that some people love (i.e the E Basses Hornet which was voted bass of 2001 by The Guitar and Bass mag) and others absolutely detest (bast*rds!!) - no one is forcing anyone to either like, love, hate or purchase ANY bass! The prototype stage is of vital importance and Chris is very open to ideas and suggestions; however at the end of the day, its his venture and people need to respect that. At the same time, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and who knows, we might see some more new bass makers spring forth into the market place, such as Big Red Bung with a brand new take on design/form!

Good luck!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eude' post='813297' date='Apr 21 2010, 01:06 AM']the Musicman Bongo was a collaboration with BMW as far as I recall[/quote]
Not with Armitage Shanks?

I'm interested in seeing what the final products look like. It can't be easy finding a shape which isn't similar to someone else's shape, given that the instrument also has to sit reasonable well-balanced on a strap and be sufficiently conventional as not to drive potential buyers away.

[quote name='tauzero' post='824162' date='Apr 30 2010, 03:45 PM']Not with Armitage Shanks?[/quote]

I hear ya man, I don't find them that visually appealing, however, from what I've heard, they're wizard comfy to wear and play.

Eude

• 1 month later...

If that neck through came with six strings and east electronics, I'd be asking where to preorder...

I understand making a six string bass is not very smart business, but with all the seriously nice budget instruments that have been popping out lately, I'd like to see one that elevates the standard from the ibanez sr506's and whatnots.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to bump this thread because I got to play these yesterday at Bass Day.

Well I actually got to play the PJ Jazz bass and man with the pricing point these things are incredible, the fit and finish is great, it was red with a light sparkle and matching headstock which is always a winner for me.

I actually didn't try the others, as I didn't try out other Overwater basses as I've just bought my 4th and thought I can't afford another so I stayed away and i actually thought for most of the day that some of the Aspiration series were Perceptions because the finish was so good.

Once they were pointed out to me I could see the difference in the body shape, but they are seriously nice looking basses.

I am most certainly picking up the PJ bass up when they are released as they are easily as good as any jap fender I've played.

The other aspirations I may very well pickup a 6 string or something in a fretless depending on how I feel but I was so surprised when I played them they do not feel or sound like their price bracket.

• 4 weeks later...