Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

Iconic bass guitar luthier teams up with Tanglewood for 'aspirational' mid-priced instruments
Chris May, whose Overwater custom bass guitar brand celebrates 30 years in 2010, has teamed up with Tanglewood guitars to create Overwater by Tanglewood, a range of bass guitars designed and overseen by May.

The initial launch at Musikmesse sees Tanglewood's new stand in the electric guitar hall showing four new models in the Aspiration series with prices ranging form £329 to £899. A fifth model will be added soon to bridge the gap between the £549 mark and the top of the range £899.

Overwater basses (of which a fiver string model is pictured) are among the most revered in the world and are played by professionals in all walks of music, and May has been keen on getting into a more accessible price range for some time.

"When Tony (Flatt) came to me with the idea, I knew the time was finally right," said May.

"Tanglewood has an excellent reputation for its quality in the mass market of acoustic guitars and, importantly for me, is a British company.

The development process has taken some 18 months, with May bringing in a team of experts in the luthiery business, including the pickup technician, Alan Entwistle, bass electronics 'guru' John East.

"The beauty of the project is that Tanglewood told me to design the guitars, using the components and designs I wanted and then we would look at how much they would cost," May continued. "This meant we could consider everything very carefully."

This is now the second project Tanglewood has undertaken with a top luthier, following on from the success with Michael Sanden and the Master Design series of acoustic guitars.

Tanglewood has also launched a new range of electric guitars at the show (the Signature series), a new range of gigbags (Original Airline) and is showing its new Historic series acoustics.

MB1. :)
Havent Tanglewood previously produced some Curbow Basses with Greg Curbow?
a Tanglewood Overwater would be most interesting!.Tanglewood instruments i have seen.. have been Inexpensive, Good Quality, well made playable instruments.

Edited by MB1

The lad has a 4 string version. Not sure if its a licence thing but its all wood (as opposed to the all synthetic Curbow). Highly unfashionable, I'm sure, but he's not into relic/vintage etc. Its a really nice bass, get used the small body and it plays very well indeed with a big sound and lots of variance with the active. They go ridiculously cheap and he's extremely proud (protective!) of it.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='787139' date='Mar 26 2010, 04:20 PM']The lad has a 4 string version. Not sure if its a licence thing but its all wood (as opposed to the all synthetic Curbow). Highly unfashionable, I'm sure, but he's not into relic/vintage etc. Its a really nice bass, get used the small body and it plays very well indeed with a big sound and lots of variance with the active. They go ridiculously cheap and he's extremely proud (protective!) of it.[/quote]

Assume your talking about the Tanglewood Curbow there? The synthetic body ones are made by Cort (Cort Curbows). Curbow itself is the hand-made real-deal.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='787189' date='Mar 26 2010, 04:52 PM']Assume your talking about the Tanglewood Curbow there? The synthetic body ones are made by Cort (Cort Curbows). Curbow itself is the hand-made real-deal.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Unless its a
Tanglewood Curbow resin Body (Made in Korea) :rolleyes:
Not Cort.

This curbow is a cracking beltabout lightweight bass doesnt sound too bad either!.Not noisy like the cort version with the Bartolini.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='787279' date='Mar 26 2010, 06:16 PM']so there's a wooden AND composite bodied curbow done by tanglewood AND a composite bodied by cort? learn something new every day! :lol:

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddd we're back on topic! :lol:

Throwoff, looking forward to hearing what you have to say :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
...Me Too...Pics Please!.
Sorry about the detour!...We're Very Proud!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='787279' date='Mar 26 2010, 06:16 PM']so there's a wooden AND composite bodied curbow done by tanglewood AND a composite bodied by cort? learn something new every day! :rolleyes:

aaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddd we're back on topic! :lol:

Throwoff, looking forward to hearing what you have to say :)[/quote]

Just keeping of topic for a minute....
I think that the composite Curbows were branded as Tanglewood in the UK on their initial
release. Later they were rebranded as Cort,as Tanglewood released a wood 'copy' called
the 'Canyon'.

Back on topic.......

This could be an interesting endeavor for Overwater. I'm guessing that they will probably be made
in the Cort factory anyway.

I want to try one of these for sure, I wonder when we'll see them in the shops and on either of the company's websites. It's about time more UK luthiers got on the offshore bandwagon. A far Eastern Wal anyone?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='787293' date='Mar 26 2010, 07:31 PM']Off - yes, the Canyon, very nice. I didn't know Tanglewood made the synthetic version either.[/quote]
Oh, yes. I have a black Tanglewood Curbow 5 (Luthite body/Ebanol fingerboard) sitting in my living-room right this minute. In fact...

[attachment=46057:curbow_5.JPG]

[quote name='throwoff' post='787191' date='Mar 26 2010, 05:54 PM']Im actually at the show had my hands on one today
interesting bass

will post a more thorough write up when I get back[/quote]

Ok!
Sorry it took so long a lot of stuff to do after the show,
I didnt really get a good chance to play it at the show (would of been upside down anyway) but the general vide was very positive, my only experience with Tanglewood basses was the Rebel 4K and these instruments keep to the tradition set by the 4k of incredibly well spec'd good looking instruments for very reasonable prices.

Looks - This is the one thing I can really promise, they look amazing. They have a lot of presence and really catch your eye. Obviously the ones on the stand I assume were prototypes or advance issues for the show but if they look even half this good at production then I will be impressed.
The finishing is flawless, hardware etc looks perfect.
Fret edges were A1 and the fingerboard was just right (I dont know if that makes sense but it just felt fine to me)

I want to see a production model to pass judgement and am unsure about them making a lefty but when these hit stores im going to find one!