Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

I'm a supporter of this project, and would consider buying one. Never owned an Overwater but I've always been impressed when I've played them. I've got one silly gripe though - those photos look like Peavey basses to me?

I'd better go hide now before everyone tells what a fantastic and innovative company Peavey etc etc etc and have I ever played a T40 etc etc years ahead of their time...apparantly.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='802650' date='Apr 11 2010, 02:46 PM']I personally think it would be nice to see some more adventurous, eye-catching designs - more experimentation with body design, shape, contours, colour etc. Something that says "Ah, this is 2010 design".[/quote]

Trouble is, most bass players (even more so guitarists) are a very conservative (small c as it's so close to an election) lot, and for every exotic Sei or space age Gus there are thousands of P's J's and Stingrays. Just look at the plaudits this forum gives the Squier CV series. I think with the strong commitment to QC that I am sure Overwater are going to apply and the strength of the brand will make this series a huge success. Could be what I will be looking for in a few months.

[quote name='MB1' post='802640' date='Apr 11 2010, 02:37 PM']I like that Red JP! :)[/quote]

Me too, add another string on a 4 over 1 headstock and that would be a real winner. I look forward to trying these out hopefully in the not too distant future.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='802686' date='Apr 11 2010, 03:16 PM']Trouble is, most bass players (even more so guitarists) are a very conservative (small c as it's so close to an election) lot, and for every exotic Sei or space age Gus there are thousands of P's J's and Stingrays. Just look at the plaudits this forum gives the Squier CV series. I think with the strong commitment to QC that I am sure Overwater are going to apply and the strength of the brand will make this series a huge success. Could be what I will be looking for in a few months.[/quote]

I largely agree with you but maybe they're conservative because they aren't offered much variety?

I like the look of the'modern' basses,but it looks as if the bodies are a little too large,and could do with more contouring on the edges for forearm comfort.
That minor quibble aside,all the best to a UK bass manufacturer for bringing us something to break the Fender/Warwick/Ibanez stranglehold.
I look forward to trying one out.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='802814' date='Apr 11 2010, 05:50 PM']I largely agree with you but maybe they're conservative because they aren't offered much variety?[/quote]

I'm pretty certain that's not the case - I think the power of the brand and the heritage of certain styles outweighs any new innovations and the builders have responded by giving the majority what they want. I must say though, that in my short time in retail, bass players were completetly polarised into the "old faithful" camp and the exotic custom build camp. There were a lot more of the "old faithfuls".

[quote name='overwater' post='795732' date='Apr 4 2010, 02:47 PM']I did want these basses to be recognisably different from our UK handmade instruments – however both headstocks have been used by me before – so there is some continuity here. But as I said earlier, there will be quite a bit of re-working and refinement before we go into production and things will change, plus there are a couple of other models in the range not yet seen...

It has already been decided that only the Overwater logo will appear on the front of the headstock on the production models.

Prices will start around £329 in the UK for the passive ‘Classic J’ basses and around £449 for the active ‘Aspiration’ – raising up to around £899 for the ‘full Overwater spec’’ ‘Elite’ models..

Five strings and fretless will be available before the end of the year...[/quote]

Hi Chris,

Been watching the thread with interest and am very interested in trying these out, will you be stocking them at the Jam Factory? Would love to visit and catch up.

Best wishes

Dave Anderson

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='803203' date='Apr 11 2010, 11:11 PM']I'm pretty certain that's not the case - I think the power of the brand and the heritage of certain styles outweighs any new innovations and the builders have responded by giving the majority what they want. I must say though, that in my short time in retail, bass players were completetly polarised into the "old faithful" camp and the exotic custom build camp. There were a lot more of the "old faithfuls".[/quote]

You know I real wish they'd asked [i]me [/i]to design those basses instead of Overwater. What is it that prevents designers picking up a pencil and drawing some fresh lines?? I'd have come up something [b]10 times[/b] more arresting.

Mind you, it might have been a commercial disaster (like my other ventures into capitalism)

The mass market tends to go for what the mass market wants and that does tend to be a bit conservative sometimes. Ask why so many manufacturers play it safe with P and J basses. Even high end builders do the same. How many custom luthiers have a J model in their protfolio?

These designs are not perhaps to my taste, but then I tend to fall for the higher end basses these days, having tasted it with two Status basses.

I do hope they are successful though. Risks have to be taken or the world doesn't move on.

I'd be up for this. For a start I could finally show my O level history teacher who once wrote on my school report:

"His ability to design guitars is considerable. I would prefer it to be used in other ways"

Unfortunately I rather suspect that the total sales would be limited, especially since I hope would hope to get at least one free...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='805040' date='Apr 13 2010, 04:39 PM']I'd be up for this. For a start I could finally show my O level history teacher who once wrote on my school report:

"His ability to design guitars is considerable. I would prefer it to be used in other ways"

Unfortunately I rather suspect that the total sales would be limited, especially since I hope would hope to get at least one free...[/quote]

You want to join me? C'mon lets take the bass world by storm, my friend....even if we have to take Tanglewood down with us.

[quote name='cd_david' post='803212' date='Apr 11 2010, 11:18 PM']Hi Chris,

Been watching the thread with interest and am very interested in trying these out, will you be stocking them at the Jam Factory? Would love to visit and catch up.

Best wishes

Dave Anderson[/quote]

Hi Dave - Good to hear from you!

We will no doubt have a few here - I'd like to be able to offer our own friends and personal customers a choice from here once we are in production - if you want to pop over any time, you'd be welcome as always..

But equally I'm certain there will be one or two dealers in Newcastle who will stock them too - looking at the current production schedule I think we will be looking a September in the shops - though we should have the final pr-production samples here by the end of June..

Chris

Agree that the body shape is odd and very Peavey-like. I'm guessing it has something to do with trying to minimise the costs of the production process. The top horn, in particular, and the upper half of the body just look a bit too big for the bass.

However, that PJ looks great and I would pretty definitely buy an 'Overwater by Tanglewood' Jazz, especially if it had matching headstock colour. Even more so if (as suggested) there was a 4 over 1 headstock 5 stringer (with actives ofc)...

[quote name='Spoombung' post='802814' date='Apr 11 2010, 05:50 PM']I largely agree with you but maybe they're conservative because they aren't offered much variety?[/quote]
Warwick's Adam Clayton monstrosity is basically a P bass. How many people would choose it over a similarly-priced 'ordinary' P? Not many, I'm willing to bet. One man's interesting cutting-edge design is another man's WTF. We [i]are[/i] a conservative bunch -- if we weren't, Fret-Kings would be flying off the shelves faster than they could make them.

[quote name='Brother Jones' date='Apr 19 2010, 12:03 PM' post='811205']
Agree that the body shape is odd and very Peavey-like. I'm guessing it has something to do with trying to minimise the costs of the production process. The top horn, in particular, and the upper half of the body just look a bit too big for the bass.

[color="#800080"][size=3]Just to clear up a couple of things here - firstly, can I refer you back to my longer post earlier on in this discussion - these prototypes should be seen for what they are; [u]a work in progress [/u]- and are only a first draft that probably wouldn't have been seen had it not been for Frankfurt...

And to confirm - yes the body as you say is slightly too big - infact it's the 5 string version meant to be coupled with a 35" scale neck and has been scaled down for the four string! Bodies will also be more contoured in the final versions. My main concern with the first prototypes was to get the electronics, timber, sound and playability right - cosmetics will be sorted out by the time we get to production..

I have been working on revisions since before we went to Frankfurt last month and we should have the second set of prototypes ready within a month or so and either myself or Stu will post some pictures when we are happy with them...

Thanks,

Chris

[/size][/color]

[quote name='overwater' post='811604' date='Apr 19 2010, 05:53 PM'][
[color="#800080"][size=3]Just to clear up a couple of things here - firstly, can I refer you back to my longer post earlier on in this discussion - these prototypes should be seen for what they are; [u]a work in progress [/u]- and are only a first draft that probably wouldn't have been seen had it not been for Frankfurt...

And to confirm - yes the body as you say is slightly too big - infact it's the 5 string version meant to be coupled with a 35" scale neck and has been scaled down for the four string! Bodies will also be more contoured in the final versions. My main concern with the first prototypes was to get the electronics, timber, sound and playability right - cosmetics will be sorted out by the time we get to production..

I have been working on revisions since before we went to Frankfurt last month and we should have the second set of prototypes ready within a month or so and either myself or Stu will post some pictures when we are happy with them...

Thanks,

Chris

[/size][/color][/quote]
And this is why Overwater are a successful business. The designer is listening to people. Keep up the good work Chris. I look forward to the finished products.

The Jazz looks great, and guess what..you get to have an Overwater at a fraction of the price..yes it'll be mass produced to an extent..but isn't it right that everyone should get to try and be able to buy one of these and not for Overwater to stay, to some extent hidden, from the majority of bass players.

I'm sure that some people will be annoyed or slightly peeved that Chris is doing this, but why the hell should they be...it's a perfect opportunity to branch out and create quality,playable and enjoyable basses for the mass market through Tanglewood's infrastructure

I'm sure that they will be great basses, otherwise you would never see Overwater on the headstock and Chris is probably resting his reputation on this venture and we can all pester the wives for a new Christmas present!!!

Good luck is what I say,and yes feel free to send one over to me :)

Dave

[quote name='Rich' post='811233' date='Apr 19 2010, 12:33 PM']Warwick's Adam Clayton monstrosity is basically a P bass. How many people would choose it over a similarly-priced 'ordinary' P? Not many, I'm willing to bet. One man's interesting cutting-edge design is another man's WTF. We [i]are[/i] a conservative bunch -- if we weren't, Fret-Kings would be flying off the shelves faster than they could make them.[/quote]

Speak for your self. And apart form the Esprit, Europa and Ventura, in the main the Fret King models are essentially well-known shapes with strangely shaped pick-guards.

As an Overwater fan and player, I'm quite excited about these - Having spoken to Chris, I'm looking forward to getting me hands around one sometime to see what a job it's been possible to do at the price. Everything he says suggests he's going about this the right way and wants more than just a cheapy with the name on the headstock.
If the new models are anywhere even vaguely approaching the quality of the Progress and Jazz range they'll be sock-blower-offers!
As someone said earlier, if you can get a good 5 string fretless into this price range.. we could convert more players to the path of fretlessness! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='812046' date='Apr 19 2010, 10:57 PM']Speak for your self. And apart form the Esprit, Europa and Ventura, in the main the Fret King models are essentially well-known shapes with strangely shaped pick-guards.[/quote]
:rolleyes: :)
OK.
[b]In my opinion [/b]we are a [b]mostly[/b] conservative bunch -- if we weren't, [b]the more unusually-shaped[/b] Fret-Kings would be flying off the shelves faster than they could make them.
Is that better?

I'm still willing to bet that the majority of players would choose a 'normal' shaped bass over a wilder alternative. Although I am of course just voicing my own opinion here and speaking for myself and so on.