Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

Darren and Chris at the Bass Merchant in Essex will be taking stock of this range. Chris May himself will be attending the shop and setting each one up personally!

Great service. Got my beady on the trans blue contemp Jazz!!

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='1133101' date='Feb 19 2011, 09:52 AM']Darren and Chris at the Bass Merchant in Essex will be taking stock of this range. Chris May himself will be attending the shop and setting each one up personally!

[/quote]

I've yet to see a five string J or find out what finishes are available- they do look good don't they! It's just a shame Overwater aren't more proactive on the info - or maybe as a small custom builder that's the point of the tie-up in which case... it's a shame Tanglewood aren't more proactive on the info!!! Gotta go now, I think me mrs' waters just broke :0 - no seriously!!!

[quote name='neilb' post='1133101' date='Feb 19 2011, 09:52 AM']Got my beady on the trans blue contemp Jazz!!
[/quote]

Me too, although I'd quite like to know what other finishes are available. I'd quite like one in a natural finish.

[quote name='neilb' post='1133101' date='Feb 19 2011, 09:52 AM']Darren and Chris at the Bass Merchant in Essex will be taking stock of this range. Chris May himself will be attending the shop and setting each one up personally!

[/quote]

Played that one at the Moffat Bass Bash a few weeks back. Stonkin Bass.

[quote name='sime17' post='1133852' date='Feb 19 2011, 10:20 PM']I've yet to see a five string J or find out what finishes are available- they do look good don't they! It's just a shame Overwater aren't more proactive on the info - or maybe as a small custom builder that's the point of the tie-up in which case... it's a shame Tanglewood aren't more proactive on the info!!! [b]Gotta go now, I think me mrs' waters just broke :0 - no seriously!!![/b][/quote]

It was a girl btw!!!

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1133978' date='Feb 20 2011, 02:09 AM']Played that one at the Moffat Bass Bash a few weeks back. Stonkin Bass.[/quote]

I spoke to Chris May a few weeks ago about something else, and he mentioned these then. I hadn't previously heard of them.

How much is that Jazz ?

I've just heard that the ship from the east with the Aspirations has arrived. They are to be set up up Chris before being sent out to dealers.

Eek - I really like the look of the Contemporary J - in blue with the block inlays - or am I being seduced by mere looks rather than sounds?

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1138576' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:58 PM']I've just heard that the ship from the east with the Aspirations has arrived. They are to be set up up Chris before being sent out to dealers.

Eek - I really like the look of the Contemporary J - in blue with the block inlays - or am I being seduced by mere looks rather than sounds?[/quote]

only time will tell! :)

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1138576' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:58 PM']I've just heard that the ship from the east with the Aspirations has arrived. They are to be set up up Chris before being sent out to dealers.

Eek - I really like the look of the Contemporary J - in blue with the block inlays - or am I being seduced by mere looks rather than sounds?[/quote]

No it sounds fantastic. In fact just like an Overwater. :)

They do look lush. I played a fretless Overwater jazz 5 the other day which felt lovely and was a thing of beauty.

However, in the interview in Bass Guitar Magazine, it seems that this new range is being built in North Korea. Is this really true?

(Edit: my phone changed "fretless" to "restless"!)

Edited by JimBobTTD

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1139533' date='Feb 24 2011, 06:53 AM']They do look lush. I played a restless Overwater jazz 5 the other day which felt lovely and was a thing of beauty.

However, in the interview in Bass Guitar Magazine, it seems that this new range is being built in North Korea. Is this really true?[/quote]
Highly unlikely. I'm sure it was China..

I'm sure I read in one of the interviews that Chris mentioned it was a small (relatively) factory on the Korean side of the Korea/China border. Right so where's my atlas as I have no idea if that rules S Korea in or out.

Can't imagine it's NK though or I'm sure it would have had a cameo mention in Team America :)

I too am seduced by the darkside and am GASing for a Contemporary J4 in black trans. :)

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1139533' date='Feb 24 2011, 06:53 AM']They do look lush. I played a restless Overwater jazz 5 the other day which felt lovely and was a thing of beauty.

However, in the interview in Bass Guitar Magazine, it seems that this new range is being built in North Korea. Is this really true?[/quote]
It actually says, "...a smaller factory on the China and Korean border. It's a Korean company..."

[quote name='vsmith1' post='1139653' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:58 AM']It actually says, "...a smaller factory on the China and Korean border. It's a Korean company..."[/quote]

That's nice and vague - it could be a South Korean company with a factory in China. China is hardly angelic, but it is a lot more palatable than the Dark Side that is North Korea.

Hope posting this isn't out of order, but I work in a music shop in Yorkshire and we went to see the Tanglewood Overwaters arriving today in Leeds and made a video which you can see here:

[url="http://blog.musicianscentre.com/2011/03/tanglewood-overwater-bass-guitars/"]http://blog.musicianscentre.com/2011/03/ta...r-bass-guitars/[/url]

We're very excited about showing these to people. Chris was great to talk to and he deserves success with this range.