Why become a member? ×

Overwater basses by Tanglewood

crez5150

[quote name='setekh' post='1163865' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:14 PM']And is something inherently wrong with that? The price is way too high (for a few quid more you can just buy a new one), though.[/quote]

Absolutely not. If someone is prepared to pay that sort of price for a damaged instrument when a new one is little more, more fool them.
I just found it funny that when asked if it indeed was the London Show Bass, it vanished from the For Sale section to appear on e-Bay for nearly £50 more.
No doubt some mug will buy it.
Just wondering what would happen if you offered the price it went for at the show. :)

[quote name='martin lee' post='1163574' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:49 PM']Hi Ead,

I do believe there has been some miss information regarding the contemporary jazz bass circuit, its actually a two band. Volume(pull bright), pan, treble, bass. hope this helps :)[/quote]

Are you sure? Looking at the pics of the contemporary Js, I see 4 knobs.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1163886' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:47 PM']Are you sure? Looking at the pics of the contemporary Js, I see 4 knobs.

[/quote]

(1) Volume(pull bright), (2) pan, (3) treble, (4) bass.

I think Martin works for Overwater so i guess he should know. :)
I tried this actual bass at the moffat Bass Bash and it was definately a 2 band Eq.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1163892' date='Mar 16 2011, 12:01 AM'](1) Volume(pull bright), (2) pan, (3) treble, (4) bass.

I think Martin works for Overwater so i guess he should know. :)
I tried this actual bass at the moffat Bass Bash and it was definately a 2 band Eq.[/quote]

Sorry, that'll be me not reading properly haha. :)

[quote name='BassBunny' post='1163873' date='Mar 15 2011, 11:23 PM']Absolutely not. If someone is prepared to pay that sort of price for a damaged instrument when a new one is little more, more fool them.
I just found it funny that when asked if it indeed was the London Show Bass, it vanished from the For Sale section to appear on e-Bay for nearly £50 more.
No doubt some mug will buy it.
Just wondering what would happen if you offered the price it went for at the show. :)[/quote]
The seller pulled it, I didn't ask him to. I think his conscience got to him, until he put it on eBay anyway...

The entirely wonderful Mrs ead has, after much grovelling due v insecure job situation (and having sold 4003 and a Cirrus BXP 5) consented to the acquisition of....

[attachment=74928:OW_CJ_01.JPG]

....(just landed) - Thank You Bass Merchant, excellent people. She is officially top banana of the week :)

Now trying to think of credible reasons to leave work early :)

After several hours noodling and playing I have to report that it's a great bass. Slick neck, excellent tonal variety with the 2-band EQ. Beefier than it looks on the pics, very solid hardware although I swapped the strap pins for a some black Schallers I had spare.

I live in fear of doing a full review incase silddx does a "BGM post" style job on me :)

To all those on the fence I would say "go for it".

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1165033' date='Mar 16 2011, 09:40 PM']Same colours as my wife - black and blue (if she doesn't let me buy one)[/quote]

Hang on, I thought you were niceguyhomer :)

[quote name='Rich' post='1165331' date='Mar 17 2011, 07:45 AM']Nah, give us a full review. Pleasepleaseplease.[/quote]

OK, OK, OK, I'll do my best :)

The band have a gig on Friday night at which I feel a certain inevitability that the OW will be plugged in, so I'll think about a report after that (and the 6 Nations on Saturday...) although be nice as I've never done a review before and my bass playing ability would fall into the "must try harder" category :)

Review added.

I thought I'd do this after band practice last night (full electric) as I should probably be thinking about other things during the gig this evening :) Think of it more as an "initial impressions" rather than based on months of playing the bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127755&st=0#entry1166665"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=0#entry1166665[/url]

[quote name='ead' post='1166672' date='Mar 18 2011, 08:28 AM']Review added.

I thought I'd do this after band practice last night (full electric) as I should probably be thinking about other things during the gig this evening :) Think of it more as an "initial impressions" rather than based on months of playing the bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=127755&st=0#entry1166665"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=0#entry1166665[/url][/quote]

Nice review ead.

I'm hoping to take my Aspiration Artist out for a full test run at rehearsals next week so maybe I can give some feedback on that. (loving the J/MM pick up config though! ) In the meantime, here's a pic.
[attachment=75052:DSC_6865.JPG]

Hi Floyd

Very interested to hear your views on your new bass; I have the same one pre-ordered from the fantastically helpful people at Musicians Centre.

Ead: Thanks for an excellent review. Really enjoyed reading it.

This is my first post but I've been following this thread with much interest; thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Take care

B

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='1166820' date='Mar 18 2011, 10:57 AM']I'm hoping to take my Aspiration Artist out for a full test run at rehearsals next week so maybe I can give some feedback on that. (loving the J/MM pick up config though! ) In the meantime, here's a pic.
[attachment=75052:DSC_6865.JPG][/quote]

Beautiful looking bass. It was touch and go for me on an Artist, but ultimately I thought that the dual Humbuckers would suit the band and me more.

I can't see the series/parallel switch for the MM pickup that is shown on the blue bass in the publicity shots though?

Afternoon guys,

Its great to see that the basses have started to reach customers and that you're already reviewing them!

We (Overwater) appreciate that there has been a lot of talk about the new Aspiration series and at times information has been a little bit slow coming through. However, the basses are here and we will be getting a definitive list of dealers together ASAP. There should be an Aspiration bass dealer close to most players!

I'm going to create a guide to explain the EQ and what the trims pots do . This will be available to downlaod as a PDF on the Overwater site by the end of next week. In the meantime, if you have any questions email the Laurence or Chris via the OW website. They are busy at the moment, but will get back to you as soon as they can.

Alternatively send me a message here. I can provide you with full details, images etc or help with any issues you may have.

Thanks

Stu

[quote name='flip' post='1167399' date='Mar 18 2011, 04:53 PM']Blimey, these look lovely! I see they have lightweight bodies in the specs, what sort of weights are they clocking in at?[/quote]

My Contemp Jazz 4 weighs in at 10lbs on my scales.

Hi , sorry to break up the Overwater Hard-on party.
Looking for a bit of info from the Tanglewood/Overwater guys.
My son has aquired a Tanglewood Bass for next to nothing
It is a Tanglewood TEB 4 string active, 5 knobs, one is a pull boost
2 Bartolino style, EMC pickups
Natural finish, looks like rosewood board, 24 frets
Both guitar, headstock and fretboard inlays look very similar to a schecter stiletto.
Anybody any info on this model which seems rare as rocking horse doo daa.
One of the main questions is , can it be gigged with these EMC pick ups.
Any info on this model would be gratefully received
Thank you in advance
Mick