Why become a member? ×

What cheap basses do you desire?

OutToPlayJazz

After years of Overwaters, Sadowskys, Musicmans etc I've ended up with a two budget basses:

A Fleabass and an old Squier Precision. They're both fabulous, and I couldn't be happier. You can keep yer expensive stuff ta.

Exactly its what YOU are happy with.
Its not to often a bass catches my eye but a couple of weeks ago this Ibanez SR500 was just calling to me in a Pawn shop window,it looked fab with its slender neck and very low action..my fingers were twitching but the shop was closed..for the rest of the week i could not stop thinking about it.....it was priced up at £295 and looked mint apart from missing the bass boost knob (easily replaced).Well it was the usual should i shouldnt i scenario,before with the kind blessing of the wife she said go for it...went back it was still there,had a quick play and knew there was no way i was going to leave the shop with out it and they chucked a lovely case in marked up at £80 for free...Result!
I am very very pleased with it,that neck is so fast its ideal for me as i only have small hands and short fingers,and a big difference from playing my beloved Fender P.
I would give the Epiphone EB3 serious consideration,especially after an EB3 was the weapon of choice for many years of the bass player who got me into bass,Jimmy Lea of Slade.

Am still GASsing for a Dano Longhorn - think I may have found one at last.
Mega cheap n cheerful but somehow so good-memories of seeing Gary Tallent with Mr Springsteen I think.
I like all Dano stuff,mainly because it's not derivative of any other brand-same goes for maybe Italia too.

I've always liked the Hohner B Basses & Jack Basses, very well made instruments and cheap as chips on ebay. I have a battered B-bass but would like another. However i have recently tried the Squire Biffy Cliffy (who ever he/she is) bass, the lake placid blue one as someone has added earlier, and wow i was blown away. I a/b'd against a Fender in the local shop and i still much preferred the Squire, they sound soooo good aswell as looking good too....just need some cash and i'm going that way me thinks!

Think I'm with you on the Epi EBO Rich, I intend to pick one up soonish as a 'carry on' for Jam Nights (after upsetting a 'drunk' because I wouldn't let him use my MM at a Jam a few weeks back).

Also wouldn't mind a Squier VMJ Fretless - though I don't know where I'd put it...

A good number of my basses that I play regularly are considered 'cheap' but offer a lot of value for money and are excellent playing and sounding instruments. My ATK's, my Italia Torino, my Cort Artisan B4.

Had it been available lefthanded, I would love to own a Squier VM Precision TB (the Telecaster Bass version, with the big Wide Range humbucker in the neck position)! I'm also strangely attracted to SX, they have some very interesting looking instruments in their range.

Add a Squire Jazz of some sort to OutToPlayJazz's list and then I'd be heaven.
The Epi's would be just the ticket for my Andy Fraser impersonations. :rolleyes:
As for the jack point on the Ibby, they're so skinny it may be the only place it can be located.

And yes the SR300 is good. I can't see me ever getting rid of mine. :)

Its all about the Yamaha BB414!!!! Got mine new for £200 from GAK, the tones from this bass are simply great! check out all the reviews from Harmony Central. I know some people may find the bass odd looking but this is a seriously good bass to have.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='782054' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:25 PM']was thinking of the squire 'Badtz Marou' (penguin face) or Dean Zone bass in bright green.
Not tried either,but for the price ,alot of thought goes into them :)

Don't know how to post pics up[/quote]

I think you mean these two...

[quote name='Ruck' post='781980' date='Mar 21 2010, 07:32 PM']Its all about the Yamaha BB414!!!! Got mine new for £200 from GAK, the tones from this bass are simply great! check out all the reviews from Harmony Central. I know some people may find the bass odd looking but this is a seriously good bass to have.[/quote]

Fancy the yammy 415 to match the old bb I've got. Must be black though, can't see me living with orange.

Mind you, even cheap basses are dear in this part of the world. :)