Why become a member? ×

What cheap basses do you desire?

OutToPlayJazz

With all the high-end basses that help earn my living, I sometimes crave a really cheap bass to knock around on.

I still have a thing for the Epiphone EB0 & EB3 models, £130 & £200 respectively...

And also keep going back to the Thomann sound clip of the new version of the Ibanez SR500 (not so cheap at around £400.) These just sound amazing to me for the money. Still looking around for one of the new ones to try...

What cheapies do you crave at the moment and why? :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

However nice that ibanez may be I liked the look of it untill I saw the strat style input. Argh it looks horrid.

I had a wee thing for danelectro basses till I got to play one. The EB0 looks nice too.
The thing tht really gets me interested though is the random japanese stuff that crops up, although up here i reacon that bassassain gets it all!

Squier Jazz.

Don't know why, I've hated Fender style basses (and Strats) since I've been playing music, but recently I've started to come around to them. Had a go on a MIM Jazz a while back and it felt great. I'm a 6 string (bass) player, so can't really justify a 4 string Fender and I'm planning to get a new ERB (Warwick) anyway, but the Squier VMJ and CVJs have been getting raving reviews.

It's a shame I'm in the middle of upgrading my main rig or I'd have had one by now.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

I'm hankering after that sr 500. Actually went and tried a new one and was really impressed. Sadly my short lived wealth/tax rebate ended up going on sensible things like the mortgage. I keep scouring the for sale section here, waiting for someone to sell me theirs.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='781461' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:35 AM']Great basses but would you say they are cheap?

For me[/quote]

I guess now is as good a time as any to ask a question which will make me seem incredibly stupid :) What's with the thumb rest type thing below the G string?

As for me, I'm currently playing a very cheap beginner instrument... So i'd love something like an Ibanez SR300M or one of the yamaha RBX range

[quote name='JordanRLS' post='781484' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:50 AM']I guess now is as good a time as any to ask a question which will make me seem incredibly stupid :) What's with the thumb rest type thing below the G string?

As for me, I'm currently playing a very cheap beginner instrument... So i'd love something like an Ibanez SR300M or one of the yamaha RBX range[/quote]

The "thumbrest" on the wrong side was originally named the "tug-bar". When Leo Fender originally designed the electric bass as a more portable instrument for double bass players, he envisaged the player plucking with the thumb and anchoring the fingers on the tugbar underneath the strings. It was deleted some time later when most bass players played with their RH fingers and the rest reappeared on the opposite side and became a thumb rest.

The SR300M is a great bass, btw :rolleyes:

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='781491' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:00 AM']The "thumbrest" on the wrong side was originally named the "tug-bar". When Leo Fender originally designed the electric bass as a more portable instrument for double bass players, he envisaged the player plucking with the thumb and anchoring the fingers on the tugbar underneath the strings. It was deleted some time later when most bass players played with their RH fingers and the rest reappeared on the opposite side and became a thumb rest.

The SR300M is a great bass, btw :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks for the info and thanks for the good review :)

[quote name='JordanRLS' post='781484' date='Mar 21 2010, 10:50 AM']I guess now is as good a time as any to ask a question which will make me seem incredibly stupid :) What's with the thumb rest type thing below the G string?

As for me, I'm currently playing a very cheap beginner instrument... So i'd love something like an Ibanez SR300M or one of the yamaha RBX range[/quote]

I believe it's for back when it was played with the thumb and you would anchor your fingers on it.

Edit: Well I was ages behind

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='781498' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:11 AM']I've got a 60s Squier CV precision and I'm so in love with it I'm starting to pine after the 50s one now! I'd have a go at refinishing it if I got one though as I hate the idea of having 2 basses the same colour.[/quote]

I refinished my Sunburst P bass in that colour, came out well.