Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, the moisture in the air is what chills the bones. 

100%.

Coldest i've seen here in central belt Scotland was -26 oC back in early 80's. I was working outside doing a backshift and my hands were literally sticking to things outside that i was working on. After that it was -22 oC in 2010 and altho not as cold it never climbed above 0 oC for approx 3 mths that winter. The amount of damage it caused at work with frozen and burst cooling water pipes on large compressors and gas plants was "trying" to say the least paddling thru 1-2 ft of warm water in plant shops to reach an isolation valve. Happy Days and thankfully long gone for me now. I don't miss working at all :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You always need to play to your audience @neepheid maybe you should have played the first again and let them catch up on what they missed. :laugh1:

Dave

I don't mind a legitimate sincere encore from the whole room. I don't know how I feel about one or two dudes " three sheets to the wind" requesting one more song. Lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My band 'Shreds.' played in Boston, UK at The Carpenter's Arms ("The Carps") on Saturday.  It was a great show with a number of excellent bands and one solo act, but had one unfortunate incident.

An audience member was crowd-surfing and fell, landing on his hip (not during our set).  He was screaming in pain and yelling for someone to take him to the hospital.  The bar staff called for an ambulance straight away, but it was taking too long to arrive and ultimately one of the other musicians drove him to the hospital.  Fractured hip apparently, with a few days in hospital.

Otherwise it really was a great show.  We played well, although the sound guy was all but absent.  While this seems really bad, the lack of his attention actually made our show easier since we always record our set live using our mics, preamps and a laptop.  He was visibly drunk by the time we arrived, and at some point handed me a broken SM-58 to use but when I turned it over to plug in the XLR cable I found a vacant cavity missing any pins!

Our show recording turned out great.  Perhaps the best yet.  I gigged the Rickenbacker, and used Ric-o-Sound... I sent the bridge pick-up through some distortion and into my bass amp during the show, and sent the neck pick-up directly to our recording gear (it was a small venue, so only vocals were going through the PA).  Once back at home, I re-amped the clean neck pick-up and mixed it in with the recording of the amplified bridge.  This turned out really well!

At the end of the year, we're going to take our 2023 gig recordings and make a live album. 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.13.01 AM.png

• Like 19

On Saturday I was back at The Angel this time with In Isolation supporting B-Movie.

The gig was sold out and I have never seen the venue so full. There were people queuing up the stairs waiting to get in just after we had finished our sound check, and during the gig the room was rammed with the promoter turning people away who didn't have tickets.

Played really well including the new songs and the audience who more mostly there to see B-Movie were very appreciative. Sold some CDs and T-Shirts. And got more gigs in 2024 from the promoter.

I don't think there will be any photos to post as I didn't see anyone taking any while we were playing.

New gig on Sunday 3rd at The Black Bull in Gateshead - apparently it's in the afternoon.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had the 12" combo and ext speaker and altho it always sounded great out front and fits into a mix really well i never quite liked the onstage sound and sold it on to get my first Mesa rig with Mpulse 600 into PH212. I'm really enjoying the Ampeg SVT7 with Mesa SW210/115 cabs. The ampeg has a little bit of grind to it when i dig in that i really like.

Dave

Sadly I wouldn’t fit all that in the boot of me Mini Dave 😂

IMG_1195.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't mind a legitimate sincere encore from the whole room. I don't know how I feel about one or two dudes " three sheets to the wind" requesting one more song. Lol

Daryl

Only joking there Daryl. I'm one of those folks that cant even be bothered with drunks at gigs but it goes with the territory. :laugh1:

Have to admit that some of the clubs i've played last year the afternoon gigs were great because people don't seem to get too drunk. Just "happy".

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Sadly I wouldn’t fit all that in the boot of me Mini Dave 😂

IMG_1195.jpeg

I was able to fit 2 Berg AE112 cabs and a 19" rack and 2 basses into my wife's Cooper S about 10 yrs ago.

I did remove them when i sold the car tho. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yesterday was an afternoon gig for BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band in Airdrie. Quite a decent sized venue and a large stage area to play on so that was great.

Wasn't sold out but a decent sized audience for a first gig in this club.

Lots of dancing and lots of vids being taken with mobiles. Decent applause for each song. Was an odd crowd tho as they were slow to start but not sure if they were stunned by our appearance.

Feedback from the Club committee members that booked us was excellent and they've never seen anything like it in the club before. They asked us to do 2024 Hogmanay gig which has now been confirmed. They also want us to play thru the year as well so all good.

Sound on stage was great too. Singer/guitarist managed to coerce me into doing an audience walk around on the last song which has a guitar medoly of songs before going into Bay City Rollers Shang-a-lang. Dance floor was full and i kept getting dragged into photo shoots with several women. All great fun and that's the first time i've ever had the nerve to do that.

No pics or vids yet but hopefully some will appear soon.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

My band 'Shreds.' played in Boston, UK at The Carpenter's Arms ("The Carps") on Saturday.  It was a great show with a number of excellent bands and one solo act, but had one unfortunate incident.

An audience member was crowd-surfing and fell, landing on his hip (not during our set).  He was screaming in pain and yelling for someone to take him to the hospital.  The bar staff called for an ambulance straight away, but it was taking too long to arrive and ultimately one of the other musicians drove him to the hospital.  Fractured hip apparently, with a few days in hospital.

Otherwise it really was a great show.  We played well, although the sound guy was all but absent.  While this seems really bad, the lack of his attention actually made our show easier since we always record our set live using our mics, preamps and a laptop.  He was visibly drunk by the time we arrived, and at some point handed me a broken SM-58 to use but when I turned it over to plug in the XLR cable I found a vacant cavity missing any pins!

Our show recording turned out great.  Perhaps the best yet.  I gigged the Rickenbacker, and used Ric-o-Sound... I sent the bridge pick-up through some distortion and into my bass amp during the show, and sent the neck pick-up directly to our recording gear (it was a small venue, so only vocals were going through the PA).  Once back at home, I re-amped the clean neck pick-up and mixed it in with the recording of the amplified bridge.  This turned out really well!

At the end of the year, we're going to take our 2023 gig recordings and make a live album. 

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 8.13.01 AM.png

Update on the crowd surfer:  Broken left hip, and he'll have surgery this morning.  Poor guy, we're sending him a free 'Shreds.' t-shirt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, tvickey said:

Update on the crowd surfer:  Broken left hip, and he'll have surgery this morning.  Poor guy, we're sending him a free 'Shreds.' t-shirt.

And it didn't even happen during your set.  You guys are lovely, well done.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, tvickey said:

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

And it didn't even happen during your set.  You guys are lovely, well done.

Def, really nice gesture that

• Like 2

A bit late reporting on Mustang Sally's weekend, due to me being a bit cream-crackered yesterday!  Friday was a private party in Beaminster in the Fleet Club, a few miles up the road from me - it's the only upstairs load-in we play at the moment, but with our roadie and some punters we got the gear in and set up, squeezed into a diagonal on the route to the loos and opposite a long table ominously placarded with various curry names! First gig with the 2-Notes bass boost pedal, worked very well with the HB shorty (no room for the Bongo without braining the drummer anyway). No crowd surfing but a very happy crowd, good pay, table-dancing from our singiste and a fairly early finish and a lovely 20 minute drive home instead of the hour-plus from our more usual North Dorset venues. Saturday morning I couldn't find any of the band clothes that I'd left hung-up on the floor - Mrs G pointed to the washing machine: "They stunk of curry, and so do you!" she trilled gaily "so get under that shower or you can go in the next wash too..." Yes, the half-time free food had been a Smorgasbord of nothing but curries, and the jeep and instruments inside it were well-Madrassed too. 

Saturday's gig was at the Coronation club in Gillingham - it's been recently refurbished quite nicely but there are now 'banquettes' around all the walls, so the amps and speakers had to be sat on top of them in the corner next to the bar through lack of floor-space. Using the same setup as Friday, I soon realised something was very wrong with the bass sound - hardly audible, very woolly. Changed everything I could between numbers, eventually mostly solved it by removing the 2-Notes booster from the signal chain, taking the cab off the padded seat and squeezing it onto the floor, and changing to the Bongo. A forensic investigation today revealed that I'd used the wrong AC adapter in the 2-Notes (9v 0.25amp) instead of the 12v 1.0amp that came with it. Stupid mistake, but in the semi darkness of the corner of the room when setting up and a bagful of cables and adapters to choose from, I'd f**ked up - lesson learned! Not proud of my performance that night, too much self-induced stress, but the punters all loved the band and most importantly everyone but me had a good evening!

• Like 14

We (Milestone acoustic duo) played another gig last night at The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough.

Capacity audience in this small venue meant I had to sit alongside my Rumble 100 combo instead of having it behind me. It surprisingly worked out fine, another myth debunked! Some great requests from the audience, including ‘Mack the Knife’ and some Buddy Holly right through to ‘Wichita Lineman’ and Chasing cars’. Best audience response yet, wouldn’t let us finish before doing a couple more tunes. Probably my favourite ever regular gig, despite a slow 50 mile drive home last night due to icy conditions. 
We are there in a couple of weeks for their Christmas party which should be brilliant, and then

a couple of Sundays every month starting January 2024. 

Edited by casapete
Spelling
  • Like 17

Really cool gig as part of the Andy Wales Blues Band at the Donkey in Leicester, playing a mix of originals and well-chosen covers. 

We’ve only done about half a dozen gigs so far and most have been support slots etc. This was I think our second or third full-length gig, but it was nicely busy in there. 

We went down a storm! We’ve been making a point of rehearsing every week which combined with our familiarity of each others playing styles means we are really on it in terms of being tight and interacting with each other. It also means we bring at least one or two new songs to each gig to keep it fresh. 

I’ve previously gone straight for Precision Bass with flatwounds for this sort of gig, but last night opted for Yamaha BB604 with lots of active growl and punch which worked a treat and added a new dimension to it. 

Some very nice things said to us afterwards from the audience, so really buzzing. Feels great!

IMG_0504.png

IMG_0497.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 19

6 hours ago, casapete said:

We (Milestone acoustic duo) played another gig last night at The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough.

Capacity audience in this small venue meant I had to sit alongside my Rumble 100 combo instead of having it behind me. It surprisingly worked out fine, another myth debunked! Some great requests from the audience, including ‘Mack the Knife’ and some Buddy Holly right through to ‘Wichita Lineman’ and Chasing cars’. Best audience response yet, wouldn’t let us finish before doing a couple more tunes. Probably my favourite ever regular gig, despite a slow 50 mile drive home last night due to icy conditions. 
We are there in a couple of weeks for their Christmas party which should be brilliant, and then

a couple of Sundays every month starting January 2024. 

Love Wichita Lineman. One of the classics IMHO. 

Sounds like a great duo to listen to in your local pub.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2023 at 12:33, Cat Burrito said:

I had a couple of band things coming up this week but I lost my amazing Mum after a very long illness on Tuesday. I was with her when she died peacefully. I hoped I would be up for a new open mic at the pub down the road that my friend is running but figured I would take things a day at a time. My bandmate came over yesterday to run through our songs. To be honest, I welcomed the distraction. We worked up a version of Boys Don't Cry, which I remember buying the 7" single on holiday with Mum back in '86. Obviously I dedicated this to her from the stage. I think we did about 8 or 9 songs and I mostly played on my 8 string mandocello. 

It was my time venturing out socially and I am pleased I gently pushed myself. I have another big band project on Tuesday and this was a dummy run for that. I think I passed with flying colours... although I have the worst hangover today! I'm not looking for sympathy, I am forever grateful that I had a truly inspirational mother. Happy to take sympathy for the self inflicted hangover. I think I'll reign it in when I get past the next couple of weeks. 

c77b0f44-c170-4423-8cf3-785349e85e42.thumb.jpg.e7bcdd41d72a7b1dc415ac64d7543b11.jpg

So sorry for your loss, very difficult time when you lose your mum, devastated me when it happened to me :( 

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Two gigs with Public Service Announcement this weekend. Saturday night was at the Trinity Bar, Harrow. Originally, we would be opening the show, followed Damage UK (who organised the event) and headlined by Eddie Roxy and the Adjacent Kings. Unfortunately Eddie Roxy had to cancel, so Red Anger joined the bill as opener and Damage UK headlined. Venue had an Ashdown combo to use and knowing bands play upstairs, I decided to use house rig as frankly, I couldn't be arsed to lug my rig up stairs! Something in me said to have my little Warwick gnome in my bag and my Orange SP212 cab in the boot - just in case. 

Good job I did, as arrived at venue to find the house rig wasnt working.

Back up rig sounded great. Onstage sound was definitely one of the best we've had.

All thee bands played well to a very receptive, but small crowd. Not sure the line up change at fault or just a slow night. I find originals gigs really can be hit and miss attendance wise. Drive home was just 30 mins, so home well before midnight

Sunday we headed down to a rainy, windy Brighton for the Punk 4 the homeless gig at the Pipeline. We had a 5pm slot. We parked in a multi story and then three of us lugged guitar, bass, pedal boards, cable bags, mic stand, cymbal bag across Brighton in search for venue. Why we didn't pull up outside venue, drop off gear and then park, I don't know...

We got to venue in time to rest our achy arms and enjoy a pint while we waited for the drummer, who'd headed down earlier with his wife. We waited, and waited and waited and then we got nervous, and then we got anxious. As the band on before us finished their and started to pack up, in he strolled, looking a drowned rat. He wiped the rain of his glasses so he could see, took his wet coat off and rushed to the stage.... House rig was an Ampeg head through an Ashdown 4x10. Sounded great! Wish I noted what model the head was - not that I have need or money for any more gear.

we played really well and went down a storm. Calls for a encore which we had time to fulfill and some great moshing from the younger audience at the front.

We then grabbed a beer and enjoyed Watching Rage DC before lugging the gear back through the  now dark streets in the wind and the rain, loaded the car and then sat in the traffic jam on the M25

And exhausting weekend. Loved every minute

• Like 16

Three hour afternoon gig on Sunday at (the pink torpedo (LoL)) the C*ck in Dereham with the Checkmate Kings (blues band). As you can see from the photo, it’s very tight for space and the punters are spread across three rooms but it always turns out to be a good gig (this was our 5th in two years). We got plenty of positive feedback and the landlord was talking about getting repeat gigs every three to four months next year, which is a result.

I used my BF Two10 with Mark Bass LM III (overkill for the venue really but I like the tone) and Maruszczyk Elwood 4a medium scale.

I’ve got two more gigs to go this year but with two different (non-blues) bands and very little overlap in the set lists. A bit of practice is called for!

image.jpeg

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 13

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Only joking there Daryl. I'm one of those folks that cant even be bother off topiced with drunks at gigs but it goes with the territory. :laugh1:

Have to admit that some of the clubs i've played last year the afternoon gigs were great because people don't seem to get too drunk. Just "happy".

Dave

Off topic.

When break time comes or after the show I struggle with guys that are drunk and want to talk to you about music.

And at the same time I complain when nobody approaches me or gives me any attention. 

Daryl

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Off topic.

When break time comes or after the show I struggle with guys that are drunk and want to talk to you about music.

Daryl

I struggle with that big time, mainly as hearing wise I can never fully - or sometimes hardly - understand them. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Off topic.

And at the same time I complain when nobody approaches me or gives me any attention. 

Daryl

I'm quite lucky that during break time i'm getting changed for the 2nd set performance and those outfits take time to get into especially the platform boots. :laugh1:

After Sundays gig the singers wife came into changing room and said there was a guy asked if he could get his photo taken with my wig on. I said no of course not as i wear that wig and i'm not letting a complete stranger put it on. Its like letting someone else try your underwear on. Disgusting.

Apparently he wasn't too happy about it. Its the same with the jackets. People want to try the jackets on and have even lifted them from front of stage when the singer removes his and puts it down when too warm and they think they have the right to lift it and wear it to dance with. They don't appreciate the fact that those jackets are  hand made and cost from £300 upwards.

I did have a young woman get very excited about my boots on Sunday, so much that she went and brought her friends over to the front of stage to point them out.  We were playing at the time and i thought she was pointing towards my effects board as if something was wrong and then the singer said its your boots Dave. Bit of a "DOH" moment there.  :dash1:

To be honest i'm not used to the attention at gigs and usually leave it to singers and guitarists but in last few yrs i've had a lot of compliments about my playing. Maybe i'm just taking my ability for granted as i've been doing the same thing for 40+ yrs.

I guess the outfits do tend to draw attention to you. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 11