Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We played at The Regent Theatre in Stoke on Trent last night. Another big grand old place, and we

drew around 1200 punters in - this was a rescheduled gig from earlier in the year when the band was 

suffering from bouts of Covid and flu. Audience were well up for it and the band played well,

despite still being a cellist down. Bit of a long drive home, but in bed by 2am.

IMG_3055.jpeg

• Like 18

Much better last night than the previous one (we were part of a 5 band line up then and it was awful). Our third gig and everyone seems to stepped their game up, which is encouraging. I decided to use my shorty Stingray and during soundcheck, it seemed to cut through nicely FOH, but was lacking oomph to my ears. On stage it was often difficult to hear it. For the second set I changed to the JMJ Mustang and there was that low end power, I only hope that it sounded as good out front. Only downer was that I dinged the ‘Ray on the drummer’s floor tom, such is the life of a gigging bass I guess.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

We played at The Regent Theatre in Stoke on Trent last night. Another big grand old place, and we

drew around 1200 punters in - this was a rescheduled gig from earlier in the year when the band was 

suffering from bouts of Covid and flu. Audience were well up for it and the band played well,

despite still being a cellist down. Bit of a long drive home, but in bed by 2am.

IMG_3055.jpeg

Wow! Impressive venue. :o

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Wow! Impressive venue. :o

It is one of the best theatres we do. Holds around 1500 I believe, and last night was the best audience 

we’ve had since we started doing it. Everything is good - from the load in to the massive stage, the 

crew are superb, and the backstage facilities are great as well. Considering the height of the domed

ceiling, the sound is actually okay too, although our PA guy said he was pushing the levels during 

our second set. 
( My next gig is with the acoustic duo in a local pub on Tuesday, and I love doing that sized gig as 

much as the bigger venues. )

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

It is one of the best theatres we do. Holds around 1500…

( My next gig is with the acoustic duo in a local pub on Tuesday, and I love doing that sized gig as 

much as the bigger venues. )

Such are the variations in the life of a gigging musician, great that you enjoy the small ones too, have a good one on Tuesday.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, casapete said:

IMG_3055.jpeg

A great theatre, but one specific memory of the place sticks out for me. During the get in for the JC Superstar soundcheck, 9/11 was just breaking on the news...

:|

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, lowdown said:

A great theatre, but one specific memory of the place sticks out for me. During the get in for the JC Superstar soundcheck, 9/11 was just breaking on the news...

:|

We all know where we were when.............I was in the chippy, thought it was a disaster movie at first..............

Those of us of a certain age think the same about when JFK was shot.

:sad:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

We all know where we were when.............I was in the chippy, thought it was a disaster movie at first..............

Those of us of a certain age think the same about when JFK was shot.

:sad:

Had just got up as I was off sick with a smashed shoulder. Turned on the news just as the second one went in 😢

The Swan in Crawley last night. Smaller than usual crowd as another pub was hosting a charity do in memory of a local muso who passed away last year. But an enthusiastic bunch and at midnight when we all just wanted to clear up and go home they still wanted a couple more numbers. Home after one, back at my church for a pre service rehearsal at 9 this morning - not at my best to be honest. Used my new to me Rafferty HPF last night, it’s all very subtle to my clumsy ears but a definite tightening up of the low end. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Pice from last nights show at The Bend Theatre.

Not my best night. The Theatre was packed, around 350 people. Nice dressing rooms comped with high end pizza and drinks.

The real take away for me was, doing these hour and 20 minute theatre shows I find were positioned where were have to put more energy into the show than you would put into a 4 hour bar gig. I was wore out at the end of the show.

Blue

FB_IMG_1682228596468.jpg

FB_IMG_1682223097365.jpg

FB_IMG_1682222703991.jpg

FB_IMG_1682222679295.jpg

More pics.

FB_IMG_1682259239548.jpg

FB_IMG_1682257929488.jpg

FB_IMG_1682257852021.jpg

• Like 10

We've had a spate of closures in town recently, the "major" music venue has been closed down and is going to be knocked down to make way for another hotel, the other venue, has been closed to make way for a hostel type hotel, which leaves 1 small venue to host bands that don't play Scottish "Trad" style music. 

Anyway, we played there last night, not having played there in a while. Played with 3 other bands, two of whom pulled in a decent crowd, and it was the opening bands first gig. We seemed to go down well, and had plenty of people complimenting the band after we'd played. Big grins all round.  

• Like 7

On 22/04/2023 at 10:08, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve tried my ELF at rehearsals as it’s my backup amp too. 

I could easily gig with it using my SVT212AV 4 ohm cab as it’s loud enough yet still stays clean. 

Not sure if it would cope running around 3/4 volume all night but it definitely has the power to gig in a loud pub band scenario 

The other point is it sounds very good, a bit like an ABM or RM amp 

I played a couple of gigs with the Elf at a long thin venue. It was plenty loud enough and did not struggle.

• Like 2

Redonizm were back at Starr Sports, Canvey Island again. A decent night again and playing for an appreciative crowd. More importantly, after testing a new subwoofer (EV ELX200-12SP) it’s clear we need to spend some time in a large rehearsal room with the full PA to dial everything in just right. Whilst I think the sub did its job, it probably wasn’t the ideal room to try it out in as the ceiling is quite low and excites everything around low G on the bass, keys and acoustic guitar, even with low cuts and eq. Standing out front I noticed my bass tone was quite boomy and lacked definition compared to my frfr.

On the other hand, the new Xvive U4 IEM a couple of us are using performed really well, if a little shrill sounding. But probably the best IEM sound I’ve ever had. FYI, we tried this out at our previous gig a couple of weeks ago at Birchanger social club (that I completely forgot to to a write up about), but we had a few interference issues with the one of the lead vocalists mic and one of the guitarists mics. In retrospect, we should have spent some more time researching and determining the most appropriate channels for each device, but live and learn! Anyway, we worked this out since and it performed very well last night with not interference issues whatsoever.

If we can spend some quality time with the gear in a rehearsal space, and get everyone onboard with this IEM system, I’m now confident we can leave all the backline and home and just use PA.

• Like 5

Sadly another gig free weekend as the singist tested positive for Covid on Friday. Definitely having a run of bad luck health wise at the minute 😞

N’mind, onwards and upwards, next gig is a bikers rally at the north Cheshire show ground on the 5th May…..hoping I remember how to play 😆

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

Sadly another gig free weekend as the singist tested positive for Covid on Friday. Definitely having a run of bad luck health wise at the minute 😞

N’mind, onwards and upwards, next gig is a bikers rally at the north Cheshire show ground on the 5th May…..hoping I remember how to play 😆

Feel your pain Mart, we’ve been stricken with illness for a couple of months and had to cancel some gigs.

Nothing you can do, and audiences / venues will hopefully understand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

Feel your pain Mart, we’ve been stricken with illness for a couple of months and had to cancel some gigs.

Nothing you can do, and audiences / venues will hopefully understand. 

Cheers Pete, we hate cancelling gigs, especially at short notice. We’ve had to cancel the last 2 on the trot, both new venues that we were looking forward to. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, martthebass said:

We were lucky that way that we all seemed to catch covid over the same 2 week period and luckily we had no gigs on.

Hope you all feel better soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Another really enjoyable, busy gig at the Railway Hotel in Royton (near Oldham). The whole band is squeezing every ounce of fun out of our last year together.

Excellent LL who looked after us (and paid us extra as he was so happy with the performance).

My setup is very settled now. Ibanez SMS 1005, Ashdown RM 500 and TKS 212. Got some folk to get video on my new phone and I'm really happy with my tone and the overall mix.

Even a stress fracture in my leg that curtailed my dancing couldn't take the shine off.

https://youtu.be/njBUH1kJeCM

https://youtu.be/rzJweF9AxM4

• Like 11

Played a great gig on Friday! Had some weird issues with one of our DIs dying for some reason - but we got it sorted!

Got an insane amount of of compliments on the band and even my bass sound and playing. I have to learn how to take those compliments! 😂

Sadly the live stream didn’t go on but oh well. Next gig in a battle of the bands for £2k. So if anyone is free in aberdeen and wants to see a band that sounds like faith no more covering the prodigy (apparently!), you’re welcome to come party! 

LED shoes not required 😂

IMG_9512.jpeg

Edited by woodyratm
Wrong day!
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

The Swan in Crawley last night. Smaller than usual crowd as another pub was hosting a charity do in memory of a local muso who passed away last year. But an enthusiastic bunch and at midnight when we all just wanted to clear up and go home they still wanted a couple more numbers. Home after one, back at my church for a pre service rehearsal at 9 this morning - not at my best to be honest. Used my new to me Rafferty HPF last night, it’s all very subtle to my clumsy ears but a definite tightening up of the low end. 

I ought to have another go at getting something there but have recollections of it being tiny from the last time I was there probably 10 years ago

Played a battle cruiser called the Galway in Retford last weekend. Let the singer ( who was trembling like a crapping dog all night ) sound check my mic because I was busy with a pint of Dancing Dragonfly and couldn't be bothered to do it myself............ came home with Covid !! Whoopee - 2 years working in a covid jabbery and being Santa to grubby working class rugrats and I've dodged every bullet only to catch it from a shared mic !!!

No symptoms BTW. I've always said bugs can't live on me. They take one look , say phuq that for a game of soldiers and go elsewhere.

• Sad 2