Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

18 hours ago, Thor said:

It was a first time outing for Sarum’s Lot at Laarsens Bar in Basingstoke last night, a reasonable crowd turned up and seemed to enjoy what we churned out, we’ve been invited back and a couple approached us to do a private party for them. Glad to have the spring upon us but am feeling a tad jaded having got to bed at 3am and then being on Grampy duties this morning….😴😴

https://www.facebook.com/peter.brown.92317/videos/6058598330891437/

Singer has some good pipes to be banging that out at the end of the night.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neepheid said:

Unfortunately I came away with a blocked ear - maybe I pushed some wax in with my earplug. Off to the shower to see if I can steam it out.

10 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Euw time, but had my lugs cleaned on Friday. Twice a year without fail. I use moulded plugs and for sure wax plus regular in ear use ends in blockage. 

My wife and I have had great success with the Otex Combi Pack (ear drop and rubber bulb). It takes a few days for the drop to break down the wax enough for the bulb to do its job, but when it does... oh what joy! And a lot cheaper than getting it done privately. Many GP surgeries don't offer this service anymore as it's no longer a free NHS service).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Redonizm were back at the Haystack, Canvey Island on Saturday. Previous readers will be relieved to know that it didn't end up in a mass brawl this time, and patrons were well behaved. A full pub with a great crowd who were up for a proper party - singing and dancing the whole way through.

I had a particularly full on day and was broken by the end of the night. My wife had booked matinee tickets for the "back to the future" musical as a birthday present without realising we had a gig that evening. One of the guitarists kindly picked up my gear and change of clothes the evening before, and we managed to high tail it back to Canvey after the show in plenty of time (Adelphi theatre to Canvey in about 1hr 20mins!) to set up and soundcheck.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

My wife and I have had great success with the Otex Combi Pack (ear drop and rubber bulb). It takes a few days for the drop to break down the wax enough for the bulb to do its job, but when it does... oh what joy! And a lot cheaper than getting it done privately. Many GP surgeries don't offer this service anymore as it's no longer a free NHS service).

Thanks for the tip.  Thankfully this time a hot shower seems to have done the trick.  Oddly enough it wasn't the usual revelatory pop and whoosh of relief, more of a gradual improvement through the day until I realised that things had got back to normal in the early evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

Singer has some good pipes to be banging that out at the end of the night.

He never ceases to amaze me - sometimes we'll do 4 or 5 AC/DC covers in the second set - you'd think he'd have a sore throat at the end of the night but hasn't done so yet!?

We did Thunderstruck before that one.... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Another +1 for the Otex here. Some of the things it's shifted out of my ears looked like Father Jack's candles.

• Haha 1

Friday night, Salty Dog in Northwich. I'm sure it's been fuller for us before but the boss says not.

You may recall me talking about a sound engineer who had to be shouted back to his station because he'd muted the acoustic guitar? Same guy. This time he stayed at his station, but he was so glued to his phone he didn't realise we were waiting on stage, ready to play, at the allotted time. At one point it sounded like he'd undone all of his bass boosting EQ and stopped the almost constant feedback. That lasted for about 20 seconds before he managed to f*ck it up again and get back to his phone. 

Fair enough if you don't like our music, or maybe you don't like us as people, or whatever, but if you're being paid to do a job, and a pub full of people are relying on you to do the job, it'd seem to be to be the right thing to do to either learn how to do it, put the effort in, or quit and give someone who wants the job a go

Anyway, there was a dog running around while we played. I'd been speaking to the owner before the set and she explained that the dog doesn't like loud noises, which was quite confusing as she'd brought her to a gig! I've never owned a dog but I couldn't shake the thought of causing this dog distress as I played. We've had a lot of positive feedback about the gig, and several people have complimented the presence of the dog too (her name was Melon) so, I'll let the audience be the judge, and they were happy. 

I guess the fact I had to drive home later, and this pub has the best beer on our circuit, also put a damper on my mood. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Friday night, Salty Dog in Northwich. I'm sure it's been fuller for us before but the boss says not.

You may recall me talking about a sound engineer who had to be shouted back to his station because he'd muted the acoustic guitar? Same guy. This time he stayed at his station, but he was so glued to his phone he didn't realise we were waiting on stage, ready to play, at the allotted time. At one point it sounded like he'd undone all of his bass boosting EQ and stopped the almost constant feedback. That lasted for about 20 seconds before he managed to f*ck it up again and get back to his phone. 

Fair enough if you don't like our music, or maybe you don't like us as people, or whatever, but if you're being paid to do a job, and a pub full of people are relying on you to do the job, it'd seem to be to be the right thing to do to either learn how to do it, put the effort in, or quit and give someone who wants the job a go

Anyway, there was a dog running around while we played. I'd been speaking to the owner before the set and she explained that the dog doesn't like loud noises, which was quite confusing as she'd brought her to a gig! I've never owned a dog but I couldn't shake the thought of causing this dog distress as I played. We've had a lot of positive feedback about the gig, and several people have complimented the presence of the dog too (her name was Melon) so, I'll let the audience be the judge, and they were happy. 

I guess the fact I had to drive home later, and this pub has the best beer on our circuit, also put a damper on my mood. 

We’ve all had em mate, sadly soundmen vary from excellent to barely sentient, you clearly got one from the shallow end of the gene pool. 
I’d agree generally gigs and dogs don’t mix, Megdog, my wappy cocker occasionally attends backstage at some of my gigs but she’s a good girl 🤣66A73CDA-D13B-45D4-A7CC-11F9621DF4C9.thumb.jpeg.f006d25cf0d4979b8a531a29b6f5dfe2.jpeg

• Like 4

I think I might 'win' for this weekend just gone, if you indeed call it winning.......

The venue was an engagement party at a rugby club in a fairly rough town in Somerset. The bride to be was slightly overweight, and in a short-ish glittery red dress. The groom to be was rather thin, and appeared to be missing some of his upper row of teeth. Both were probably in their late forties. 

The first set went well playing-wise, but with a limited crowd reaction, mainly some head nodding and clapping but without leaving the table, or indeed even getting up. However, the bride to be was almost constantly dancing and trying to cajole others to join in, bless her. The odd one or two did, briefly, then sat down again.

At half time we all felt a bit 'meh', agreed it was just 'one of those parties', and the drummer said "I hope we don't get the wedding gig".

Two songs into the second set, in the middle of a (requested) Wonderwall, and a very flustered barmaid came running up to me saying "Stop playing, stop everything, the party is over". I thought Wonderwall was sounding just fine, too. None of us like it, but I'd assumed we'd hidden that fact rather well. However, said barmaid went on to explain that there was a lady who'd taken ill in the toilets and an ambulance was on its way. She also said that at a wake a few weeks ago someone else had collapsed but "the rest just kept on enjoying themselves, and I'm not having that again". Okay, noted, and we started to pack down, just as the main room lights came on.

The next update was about five minutes later, when we were told that it was actually the bride to be who'd collapsed, she wasn't breathing and her heart had stopped, but the deployed defibrillator had done its job, and she was coming round slowly. We asked that our collective best wishes be passed on to her, and fully observed the gravitas of the situation whilst packing down in virtual silence. 

She left in the ambulance whilst we carried on putting everything away and loading out, and randomly glancing in the general direction of the bar in amazement................where we could still see the groom to be, with his pint, propping up the bar i.e. certainly not in the ambulance, and definitely not hotfooting it to the hospital, to be with his betrothed. His friends occasionally put a consoling arm around him. Oh well, what works for some couples doesn't always work for others, I guess.

Afterwards, we deduced that we probably wouldn't get the wedding gig after all. People, eh?

• Like 6
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 4

A few days late -

I had a show in Edinburgh on Friday.

Initially planned as a double bill of Glasgow then Edinburgh, the logistics didn't work out so it was just the one city.

Absolute breeze of a journey from London. I didn't realise it was so quick on the train!

Lovely intimate venue, really attentive and up for it crowd, wonderful feedback from the set and sold all my merch.

Can't wait to get back to Scotland to promote my next release at the end of the year.

Glasgow next time for sure, but my sights are also on Aberdeen.

• Like 6

Played our monthly residency at a local pub with my acoustic duo. It's a request evening, and never fails to 

amaze me with the variety of songs people want to hear.  Really busy night further bolstered by a group

of people who had been in since lunchtime attending a post funeral do, so suitably lubricated by the time

we struck up at 8.30pm. Some of the party were from Australia, so the evening was scattered with some

(perhaps stereotypical) songs for them - starting with 'Waltzing Matilda', through to 'Whole Lotta Rosie'!

These were fortunately well received by all the audience, and made the evening fly by for us. I really

enjoy the unpredictability of gigs like these, which make a welcome contrast to my main band's gigs.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played our monthly residency at a local pub with my acoustic duo. It's a request evening, and never fails to 

amaze me with the variety of songs people want to hear.  Really busy night further bolstered by a group

of people who had been in since lunchtime attending a post funeral do, so suitably lubricated by the time

we struck up at 8.30pm. Some of the party were from Australia, so the evening was scattered with some

(perhaps stereotypical) songs for them - starting with 'Waltzing Matilda', through to 'Whole Lotta Rosie'!

These were fortunately well received by all the audience, and made the evening fly by for us. I really

enjoy the unpredictability of gigs like these, which make a welcome contrast to my main band's gigs.

I just don't know how you can remember all those songs. ?

Dave

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I just don't know how you can remember all those songs. ?

Dave

We’ve been playing together a long time Dave, and between us can usually get through a wide range

of songs. My mate Gary is an amazing guitar player / singer and knows so many ‘old’ songs- never ceases

to amaze me. We can usually remember song structure / chords etc, it’s the lyrics that trip us up. Because

of this we use a massive pad of material accessed via the ForScore app on iPad. Must have over 2000 

songs which really helps in such situations. I think audiences understand that to play such a diverse 

set we need a bit of help so not a problem, and they really appreciate it when we can do their choice.

We have a booking to play at a village hall do in the Yorkshire Wolds for the Coronation in May, and

guess there’ll be a massive list of requests to challenge us - can’t wait! 

Edited by casapete
  • Like 6

I co-host a weekly jam night which is attended by some very talented regulars, and there's a couple of hotel/cruise veterans (well, they're late 20s/early30s, so hardly veteran) and some pro musicians, and their ability to either know/remember or just bluff an enormous number of songs is astounding. I enjoy it because it's a constant stretch, playing stuff I've never played (or in some cases even heard) before, after a quick 30-second chat about chords or just watching the guitarist's left hand like a hawk...I also have a 'backup' iPad set up to look songs up, but I've only had to use it a couple of times (there's usually not enough time to search and scroll, plus I normally forget me glasses... 🙁).

Oh, and the vets/pros can all sing, play guitar, bass and even drum to a ridiculously high level, too...then again, if I didn't have a demanding day job, and could just play all day, I'd be a whole lot better than I am...

• Like 7

In Isolation mini tour at The Fidler's Elbow in Camden along with X-Superstar, Gothzilla and Feather Trade.

On the whole went well although with the venue not opening until 5, getting all 4 bands sound checked before Feather Trade were due on-stage at 8.00 was a bit of a struggle. 

However well done to the venue's sound engineer who managed to keep on top of all the bands' different sound requirements and made sure that everything ended up being plugged in where it should be during each changeover. And according to those members of the audience I spoke to afterwards made us sound awesome FoH.

No photos as yet, but there were at least 2 professional looking photographers in attendance so no doubt I'll be posting something later.

Off to York (Fulford Arms) tonight with Gothzilla and Eyrx London.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In Isolation mini tour at The Fidler's Elbow in Camden along with X-Superstar, Gothzilla and Feather Trade.

On the whole went well although with the venue not opening until 5, getting all 4 bands sound checked before Feather Trade were due on-stage at 8.00 was a bit of a struggle. 

However well done to the venue's sound engineer who managed to keep on top of all the bands' different sound requirements and made sure that everything ended up being plugged in where it should be during each changeover. And according to those members of the audience I spoke to afterwards made us sound awesome FoH.

No photos as yet, but there were at least 2 professional looking photographers in attendance so no doubt I'll be posting something later.

Off to York (Fulford Arms) tonight with Gothzilla and Eyrx London.

A good sound engineer is worth the weight of several bad ones in gold.

• Like 3

In Isolation, plus Gothzilla and Eyrx London in York last night at the Fulford Arms. The venue has completely changed since The Terrortones use play on the tiny stage crammed into one corner of the room. Big proper stage and a decent PA and lighting rig. Everything wass much more relaxed that Thursday's gig probably helped by the fact there were only 3 bands playing and everyone was sound-checked in plenty of time before the doors opened.

And a decent sized crowd for a rainy Friday night. Played well, sounded good and got a proper encore too!

There will be photos but no-one's posted any on Facebook yet.

Last gig of the tour tonight at The Acoustic Couch in Bracknell.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

How was my gig last night? Cancelled, that's how it was. 5 minutes from the venue when I got the news 

Thats a little irritating, been there, seen that, didn't get the tshirt.

Was that 5 minutes away from a 5 minute away venue or 5 minutes away from an hour away venue?

I did have that '20 minutes loading the car, shut the boot, phone rang' cancellations once which was a bit irritating.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

How was my gig last night? Cancelled, that's how it was. 5 minutes from the venue when I got the news 

That's not good or very nice. 

2 things :-

Why was it cancelled ?

Why weren't you told earlier ?

Dave

We had our first gig as a new band (The 77’s) last night at The Oak Tavern in Sevenoaks.

it went really well, the place was packed and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it. We had a few errors here and there but nothing terrible. 

couldn’t have asked for anything more from a first gig.

I had to hire a head for the night as my recent purchase was faulty, but the hire amp did the job.

A4B46008-7078-49B2-92C8-F63B15F90408.jpeg

637A8A1F-6FD7-4065-9A67-332C99BB74A5.jpeg

1CC8E4DC-AD51-4898-BCFA-70794BEEFD39.jpeg

• Like 7