Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

51 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played at the wonderful Harrogate Royal hall last night. Capacity crowd of around 950 in a beautiful

room, probably the most impressive theatre we regularly do.

Had a good soundcheck but once the show started there were some sound issues for us onstage, which

our new engineer did a great job of battling with and eventually winning! This may explain my rather serious

face in the pic below - the booming was around a 'C', and you've guessed it, plenty of the stuff we do is in

that key!

The other picture shows a guy who came to our Sheffield gig the week before - he's a professional Ringo

act from Detroit called Michael, and he's seen here chatting with our guitarist Jan after the show.

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

329287962_738624374292147_4340231315359329661_n.jpg

Now that's a venue worth playing. Absolutely gorgeous building. 

Dave

• Like 1

Played the Flying Horse, Rochdale last night. Good place to play but the parking & load in is harder than usual because the square it's on is closed for refurb. So park and lug round the corner it is.

Singer had messaged about sore throat/general illness earlier in the day so didn't know what to expect, but she loaded up on sudafed and powered through.

I put my Ibanez sms1005 through an Ashdown RM 500 and TKS 212. This has been a pretty consistent rig for a while and I'm really happy with it.

Standard February gig, a bit quiet at the start, but full of appreciative dancers and singers by the end. Had to catch a falling speaker hit by a drunken dancer during Rio, then put the bass down to re-set it and administer a mild telling off to the gent in question. Rest of the band carried on and we barely missed a beat as I joined back in.

This is the last year for this band, so I also had the bittersweet task of turning down some folk wanting to book us. As band years are like dog years, our 12 yr run with the same line up has been pretty good. 

Got a tiny bit of phone footage from the singer's dad. too. Good job, as I completely forgot to take any pics.

• Like 6

Redonizm were back on The Rock a.k.a. Canvey Island on Saturday night. This time at a new venue for us, a Starr Sports, a sports/pool bar on the seafront. Keen readers may recall our last visit to Canvey ended in a 20 person brawl as we finished our last song. Well this visit was complicated by a murder of a patron of that same venue the night before, and the town centre was cordoned off all day (I believe the cordon is still in place now. I was concerned that we might be playing to an empty bar considering the circumstances, but was quite relieved to see a busy venue, full of people.

The gig went well. Plenty of people enjoyed themselves, singing and dancing for most of the evening. I people dance then I’m a happy man. Only issue was a room resonance centred around low G (about 100hz). I was able to notch it out for my personal frfr speaker via my helix (seriously, the global eq in this device is worth the admission price) but there was still the odd boom and rumble from other instruments less able to notch it out, but I don’t think it impacted the audiences enjoyment one iota.

Added a couple of tunes since last gig, “Torn” and “Baggy Trousers”. The latter was a particular highlight with our male vocalist playing the sax lines on a kazoo!

E8D9CAA1-F8AB-4299-B4CB-F8931C62C839.jpeg

D8AFAE10-888A-42EB-B264-429D9628E575.jpeg

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 8

Rare Sunday afternoon gig yesterday marked a return to gigging for us lot after a 4 week lay off.  City centre pub in Huddersfield, hideous to get to (all the sat navs were defeated with aplomb) and the loading bay was a 20 minute only stay so had to go hunting for near non-existent parking.  Once set up the clientele consisted of an old man (with flat cap) and a whippet so the auspices were not good.  Nevermind, professional as ever we ventured into the changing room (read - unused kitchen) and got into character.  15 minutes later we emerged into a packed house full of eager punters.  2 great sets ensued.  Just goes to show you can never tell.....

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It`s always amazing when that happens isn`t it Mart, sounds similar to a local venue to me, The Wheatsheaf in Leighton Buzzard. At 21:25 there`s no-one in there, band on at 21:30 and it`s rammed.

I played a Wheatsheaf pub in mid 80's near Luton i think it was Dunstable. Was a brilliant night and a few of the audience came back to see us the following morning to help with our gear. We were staying overnight during a mini tour around England. Venue let us leave the gear overnight so we could have a few beers with the clientele. Think this was the last stop before heading back up to Scotland. I had a broken leg too which meant roadies doing all the heavy stuff. I just went on stage and played. Happy days :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 3

Small pub gig for The White Line at The Bluebell in Jesmond. It was a little weird for me, they've only really just started putting bands on so it was the first time I've ever played there but it was a student hangout for 3 years straight. I feel like I know every millimeter of the place. Gig was solid, we played well and were asked back but I felt a little bit of apathy from the crowd to be honest, plenty of people singing along and such but just really sitting in their seats and not really getting involved. Thanks much to the three drunk ladies who at least danced for the encore. "Could have been a jukebox", the occasional curse of the pub band. At this point a rig shot seems redundant but it seems to be expected. The only thing that's changed in the past 3 years or so is that my venerable Samsung SMT800 stopped charging properly after the last gig, so this gig was the first with my brand new Amazon Fire HD10 to control the mixer and it performed flawlessly.

Bass was my 2007 EBMM Ray 4, Shure GLXD, HX Stomp.

Vocals were a sore throat, Prodipe TT1 Pro, K&M 25600.

Foldback was a QSC K12.2 with a lot of vocals and a small amount of bass, high passed at the same 120Hz we do our tops at.

Post gig pizza was pepperoni from On The Go Pizza.

Is that enough? Can I go now?

PXL_20230204_204324123.MP.jpg

PXL_20230204_204338529.jpg

329362147_565231512330889_211374492239884616_n.thumb.jpg.33632e917a00691294e8e05f912ab929.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I played a Wheatsheaf pub in mid 80's near Luton i think it was Dunstable. Was a brilliant night and a few of the audience came back to see us the following morning to help with our gear. We were staying overnight during a mini tour around England. Venue let us leave the gear overnight so we could have a few beers with the clientele. Think this was the last stop before heading back up to Scotland. I had a broken leg too which meant roadies doing all the heavy stuff. I just went on stage and played. Happy days :laugh1:

Dave

That's The Iconic Wheatsheaf in Dunstable. We played it once about 5 years ago. Little old chap called Maurice runs it and insists on trying to get on a mic with his harmonica regardless of what sort of music you play I seem to remember. Lovely guy but seemed a touch crazy to us. We went down well and they wanted us back but we took a band decision not to return (partly due to having to climb over a load of tracksuited baby toting chavs to get the gear in and we struggled to fit in the space allocated for the band)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Yes a well known venue that, Dave, have had many a good night over there.

• Like 2

Strange one on Friday evening: doing a favour for the committee of the Village Hall where two of the band live. We provided music for their pub night. Trouble was it had to be at a volume that would allow people to chat over a drink. Fortunately the drummer in this band uses an electronic kit, so we can turn the drums down! Still it is really weird playing at such a low volume, we couldn’t get any energy into the first set. Also a very small stage, so I had to stand right up against the BF One10 I used, with a Warwick Gnome running with the master hardly on at all. Everything DI into the hall’s tiny Yamaha Stage Pass PA (8” speakers I think). I couldn’t get close enough to my monitor because of where the lead guitarist had to stand, so I couldn’t hear myself, or the rhythm guitarist most of the evening.

Fortunately, for the second set the dancing faction among the punters got their way and we were able to turn up a bit. Our energy levels went up and they repaid us by dancing for most of the set. Women of a certain age are great in an audience: they just want to have some fun and they don’t give a toss what anybody thinks of their dancing😀.

We were doing this for free but it turned out that somebody had passed round a bucket (not to throw up into) and people had been pretty generous with their donations. It easily covered fuel costs and a couple of drinks each for the four of us.

After the gig, the rhythm guitarist/vocalist, who is suffering with tinnitus, said it was really great playing at that stage volume and we should do it all the time 😱! We are now considering a wireless IEM system. Any advice/experience gratefully received.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

After the gig, the rhythm guitarist/vocalist, who is suffering with tinnitus, said it was really great playing at that stage volume and we should do it all the time 😱! We are now considering a wireless IEM system. Any advice/experience gratefully received.

Get thee over to this thread. There's a short written test at the end

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/389429-the-iem-in-ear-monitors-bible-thread/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudpup said:

That's The Iconic Wheatsheaf in Dunstable. We played it once about 5 years ago. Little old chap called Maurice runs it and insists on trying to get on a mic with his harmonica regardless of what sort of music you play I seem to remember. Lovely guy but seemed a touch crazy to us. We went down well and they wanted us back but we took a band decision not to return (partly due to having to climb over a load of tracksuited baby toting chavs to get the gear in and we struggled to fit in the space allocated for the band)

About 20 years ago I was in there with a friend who got glassed. The perpetrator was allowed to escape through the bar.

• Sad 3

First gig of 2023 and it was at Ipswich Social Club 

Played for nearly 3 hrs with many new songs in the set and a good sound 

Three bookings secured for 2024 so they obviously liked us 

Ashdown CTM100 head performed amazingly well, great valve tone with 80% of set played using a pick and the rest fingers 

Very happy with the rig 🤟7EB2D2AA-4CC0-42BC-98C5-FFC3519D71A0.thumb.jpeg.96b627443895a168582d2f07e3de569a.jpeg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Muzz said:

Ohhhh, I love playing The Flyer...always a lairy (in a good way) night there...and yeah, the PA's always in danger by about midnight... 🙁🙂

Yeah, it's a good gig. Think I played one of my first ever in the upstairs room there circa 30 years ago.

It's one of a couple of venues on our rotation where the average drunkenness is noticeably higher (the Bowling Green, Horwich being the other).  Good for a crowd up for a party, but I do spend the night preventing speaker toppling and taking drinks off the subs/stage and, in one scary case, a 4 way extension lead!

• Like 1

On 05/02/2023 at 21:11, colleya said:

I put my Ibanez sms1005 through an Ashdown RM 500 and TKS 212. This has been a pretty consistent rig for a while and I'm really happy with it.

Is that the short/medium scale version of the sms1005?  If so, it sounds great and could be just what I’m looking for. 

• Thanks 1

Rough Trade in Nottingham on Friday night. I love playing here, there's something very cool about this place. This is our stripped back acoustic set, so you'd think the sound engineer would also strip back, but no, two mics on the bass drum (with no resonant head), close mic on the snare and hats. A good 10 minutes of EQing the drums. 5 mins EQing each vocal mic etc. During sound check I have to admit I was internally rolling my eyes a bit, but I've never heard so many compliments about the sound, and it was great on stage, so, shows what I know!

About halfway through our set, an un-known punter with a very striking appearance made their way to the front. It was difficult to concentrate while she twerked, spanked herself, rolled around on stage legs akimbo, and periodically tried to stuff her bosom back into her "top". Very entertaining. There's footage on the internet but I'm not sure it's fair to share it around. Here's the setup from sound check

20230203_185307.thumb.jpg.0fe39555bcd333caa7b8c1db3b12d508.jpg

Compass Cafe in Blackpool on Saturday. Only 70 people in here but it can't really fit any more. I had to do our sound so only one mic on the bass drum :) I absolutely hate doing live sound, and there's no way you can do it properly from on stage behind a drum kit, but whatever, we got away with it. This might be the only venue where I can order a beer from my drum stool

20230204_192101.thumb.jpg.06edd259e3886c649e2df83b295bb611.jpg20230204_192056.thumb.jpg.f1a3240caf25b8f509b79e6928f9412b.jpg

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 11

16 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Is that the short/medium scale version of the sms1005?  If so, it sounds great and could be just what I’m looking for. 

Yep. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't feel *quite* as nice as my Sandberg California, but it sits in the mix very nicely and weighs less than a duck.

I loved the seafoam green finish available on the regular scale model, so I got a bike builder mate to refinish it to match.

IMG20221026115518.jpg

• Like 5

Fantastic sold out gig at Sudbury Quay Theatre last night with Leather & Lace! Crowd were well up for it and we had a great sound. 👍

I was especially pleased when the Sound guy told me that mine was the best bass tone he's ever been presented with!😲 Had a few more compliments on my sound from punters after too.... 🎸🎶😎

20230210_181828.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

Fantastic sold out gig at Sudbury Quay Theatre last night with Leather & Lace! Crowd were well up for it and we had a great sound. 👍

I was especially pleased when the Sound guy told me that mine was the best bass tone he's ever been presented with!😲 Had a few more compliments on my sound from punters after too.... 🎸🎶😎

20230210_181828.jpg

Love the finishes on those 2 C

• Thanks 1

Private party last night. In my home town though so that was easy.

An impromptu set as our own support, then I stood in for a band comprising the birthday boy and his son's for a few tunes and then a full blown Bandeoke which descended into good natured drunken chaos.

Great fun.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Shot from the wings of Gig at a nice club in the centre of Barton-Upon-Humber last night. This one was an uphill battle, I’m still struggling with a dog inflicted injury (tripped on said dog and fell downstairs landing on a big toe - not broken but it’s not happy) and the singist’s voice was buggered from this persistent viral jobby that’s still doing the rounds. We got through it and the audience was appreciative but it definitely felt like a double shift. Hopefully we’ll all be in better nick next week for a return to a particularly nice club in Dronfield. Rock n roll eh?

Only just spotted I’d left my mid spot banana energy booster on top of my minimalist pedal set up.

85C874EC-93CC-4796-997A-DD6608769565.thumb.jpeg.24aca8f6c4f032f275336a3214e2133f.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2