Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Was that one he'd written? God I'm not surpised he was chuffed. That's a proper result for any song-scribbler.

Did it go 'So here it is Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun, Look to the future etc etc....)

Cos if it does he's cheating 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

Was that one he'd written? God I'm not surpised he was chuffed. That's a proper result for any song-scribbler.

It was Rich, we wasn't too sure how it would go down (you know how punters can be with stuff they haven't heard before) but it was well received.

• Like 3

Played a private function at Southampton on Saturday with an 8 piece band.

Venue is called Roddington Forge, which was a new one to me. But a nice place with a decent sized stage - shame it's upstairs so a bit of a haul for equipment.

And the second outing for my newly acquired '96 Stingray - seems to be a good 'un.

Cabaret included a magician who performed seemingly impossible 'mind reading' tricks - audience was....... errr...........spellbound.  😉

image.png.2c07c9b48a0239c23c0253ffdf3d7390.png

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Rich said:

The "It's a long story" is a link to the, errm, long story :lol: 

TL;DR version: it's a bitsa/butchering job specifically engineered towards ska/bluebeat, only has the one pickup because I found I just wasn't using the bridge pickup

Cheers Rich that never dawned on me that it was a link. Sat was a late night and i was still tired..........honest :laugh1:

I'm away to read the link story now but thanks for the summarized version LOL

Dave

On 04/12/2022 at 04:16, gafbass02 said:

Decent little public/local gig last night, I just really felt like playing bass all day after playing a super boring solo acoustic gig the night before, so an up for it crowd and a great sound in my IEMs just made the whole night a pleasure. 

B0B7A6B2-0312-4F48-B12E-5BC67EFA4A19.MOV 22.95 MB · 2 downloads

Nice crowd!

Blue

• Like 1

10 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Played a private function at Southampton on Saturday with an 8 piece band.

Venue is called Roddington Forge, which was a new one to me. But a nice place with a decent sized stage - shame it's upstairs so a bit of a haul for equipment.

And the second outing for my newly acquired '96 Stingray - seems to be a good 'un.

Cabaret included a magician who performed seemingly impossible 'mind reading' tricks - audience was....... errr...........spellbound.  😉

image.png.2c07c9b48a0239c23c0253ffdf3d7390.png

Good looking band.

Blue

• Thanks 1

Two shows over the weekend, Sheffield and Newcastle. We'd recently lost our drummer, which in a three piece is a sizeable dent. I've travelled and roomed with him but he obviously hadn't been happy for a while (more with the other guy, I assume rooming with me is an absolute charm!). The new guy seems to have injected a huge amount of enthusiam into things and it made me realise how unhappy I had been things over the last few months. Both shows were great fun and we also had a great time in the downtime, exploring a few old haunts of the North East (my Mum's family were all from around there and the guitarist / singer also has family connections). After a misfire I had been trying to ignore, we're back!

1222ShefTim.jpg.c247b0a676d5922e01544c8589413b8b.jpg

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Two shows over the weekend, Sheffield and Newcastle. We'd recently lost our drummer, which in a three piece is a sizeable dent. I've travelled and roomed with him but he obviously hadn't been happy for a while (more with the other guy, I assume rooming with me is an absolute charm!). The new guy seems to have injected a huge amount of enthusiam into things and it made me realise how unhappy I had been things over the last few months. Both shows were great fun and we also had a great time in the downtime, exploring a few old haunts of the North East (my Mum's family were all from around there and the guitarist / singer also has family connections). After a misfire I had been trying to ignore, we're back!

Its amazing how a new member can uplift and invigorate a band. 

Well done.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Cool pic, Tim, and even cooler looking bass!

On 06/12/2022 at 09:31, Cat Burrito said:

Argh, where abouts in Newcastle did you play?

• Like 1

I played a gig this Friday past. 

IT WAS AMAZING.

I’ve never sounded better, I could hear everything. Crowd was loving it. Actually had someone come up and say my bass tone was the best he’d ever heard 😂😂😂, the band after were dumbfounded that we were on before them and apparently crapping it following us. 
Even had someone ask for my setlist… like, we’re a crap band from Aberdeen! But sure - go wild!

My singer posted on his channel (we need to do more with our YT): 

A66C745A-407C-4BE2-A80F-4E242721B6DC.jpeg

34B675FB-53AB-4650-AF73-6861F6283CF8.jpeg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, woodyratm said:

I played a gig this Friday past. 

IT WAS AMAZING.

I’ve never sounded better, I could hear everything. Crowd was loving it. Actually had someone come up and say my bass tone was the best he’d ever heard 😂😂😂, the band after were dumbfounded that we were on before them and apparently crapping it following us. 
Even had someone ask for my setlist… like, we’re a crap band from Aberdeen! But sure - go wild!

My singer posted on his channel (we need to do more with our YT): 

A66C745A-407C-4BE2-A80F-4E242721B6DC.jpeg

34B675FB-53AB-4650-AF73-6861F6283CF8.jpeg

Cool pics and huge sound.👍

Blue

8 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I dropped mine face down on asphalt in a parking lot. Couple of dings but know other issues. I gig mine allot.

Blue

FB_IMG_1657821428389.jpg

My Pedulla did a face plant off of my guitar stand the other day....no (extra) known issues....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I dropped mine face down on asphalt in a parking lot. Couple of dings but know other issues. I gig mine allot.

Blue

FB_IMG_1657821428389.jpg

Lots to like in this photo. GK rules. And a sunburst strat with a bridge humbucker into a Mesa? Shut up and take my money already!!

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Haha 1

Last night's gig was a local fundraiser. Inoffensive background straight-ahead jazz required, so we prepared a set list full of ballads &c. and invited a vocalist to join us for them, thinking our clarinetist could play the heads of any instrumentals, take various solos etc. The usual pianist was unavailable so we had a dep. guitarist. He sounded like a proper jazz guitarist but was inexperienced (2nd time playing in public) so was only willing to take solos on two tunes.

A mere 15 minutes before starting we got a message from the clarinetist that he hadn't felt well during the day and thought that he wasn't up to it. But, by padding things out with bass solos and the vocalist playing a baritone horn (almost left behind as she thought it wouldn't be needed) for heads/solos we managed to get away with it. The audience were pleased, so it must have been a success.

• Like 10