Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played the 1st full gig with the new band on Friday night. Also 1st chance to use my Peavey cab that I bought ages ago and has been sat in my front room since. Soundman was almost an hour late which set the whole night back. Sadly no sound check for any band but everything sounded fine.
Great reception. Sold some freshly printed t-shirts. Some pics are now up on our Facebook page
Https://www.facebook.com/stateofember

Edited by mikebass84

Just got home from playing the Alley Cat Club in Denmark St.....when i got there about 6 ish i looked at the small stage and the single monitor and raised my eyebrows. I needn't have worried. The sound was fantastic. I used the house Fender Rumble 500 which sounded good too.

Oh and just so you know the gig was arranged for a retirement do but it did feel weird gigging on a Tuesday.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1485942119' post='3227804']
I'm playing at a pub in Donington on Sat, needless to say I shall be using it that way in future too ;)
[/quote]

We play Reading on the August Bank Holiday every year.

It's the St Helena Association annual sports day, held in a rugby club. But it is Reading, and it is the same weekend.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1485789084' post='3226680']
Depped for 'Crawfish Junction' ( a Blues Band would you believe) at the King Billy in Glastonbury on Saturday night, I can now say I've played Glasto....!
[/quote]
[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1485942119' post='3227804']
I'm playing at a pub in Donington on Sat, needless to say I shall be using it that way in future too ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485942512' post='3227809']
We play Reading on the August Bank Holiday every year.
[/quote]

And I've played Woodstock several times - Woodstock Social Club in Oxfordshire!

I forgot to moan about the one from a week ago. Saturday night in Belper. This venue has it's own PA, but it's knackered and rubbish, and there's never a soundman. People have told me there's a soundman but I've never seen him. They ask us to get there for 7, we arrive on time, and there are just some old blokes standing around chatting, taking bits of the PA apart. I f*** off to the bar. When I come back later the first band are on (not bad, pretty good bassist actually, but I think the drummer tuned my toms higher while I was gone which was annoying) and it's way too loud. There's clearly no-one running the sound, I guess they set it up themselves. The 2nd act begged me to do his sound so I did the best I could but his guitar was distorting no matter what I did with the levels. All of this I expected, so it was fine, we played a good set, went down well, and I was pleased (and a bit pissed) at the end of the night. Our bassist was not pleased but I don't understand why, we've played this place 3 times now and it's always the same

Anyway, this weekend, Warsop on Friday, it was OK but we seemed to make a hell of a lot of mistakes. Our frontman was a bit ill so maybe that put him off which put the rest of us off? It could have been the fact that the sound went to sh*t and then the soundman wandered off? Anyway, we did not play well, but as usual no-one noticed

Saturday night in Hereford, great venue, good sound (if too loud as usual), and I love the headline band "Steve Ignorant's Slice Of Life" - they're just ace

Fantastic Friday night gig in Arundel. Nice place, nice owner, nice people behind the bar. We've played here a few times a year for the last couple of years so they know what we do and they like it. Walked in to find a few old friends in for the night and a sprinkling of other folks. Thought it might be a bit quiet: time of year, cold wet and miserable night etc. but a steady trickle of people then more of a stream from about 9.30 until the place was packed. Great atmosphere, band played well (despite me being a bit rough in places: no reason for it just one of those nights) and they would have kept us playing til breakfast if they could. Clapping, cheering, dancing, the whole 9 yards. Happy crowd, happy band,happy landlady, what more do you want. We've got three more gigs there this year which is great.

We had a lovely gig at the Wheatsheaf, Oxford last Friday.
4 bands on the bill, we played first, then third up we were the backing band for travelling psychedelic pop guru, Anton Barbeau, briefly over from Berlin via Sacremento for a mini (mostly solo) tour.
The audience was great and a good turnout, as Anton did live in Oxford for a few years a while back.
We had 1 rehearsal on Friday afternoon, that was it!
Video clip here:
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8cjmcya1zk1qna/AntonBarbeau-KK-03feb2017-q2.mp4?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....017-q2.mp4?dl=0[/url]
56Meg download though

Routine pub gigs last weekend, both Sat & Sun happened to be in tiny pubs with very small playing areas, not very comfortable but thought I gave it my best shot. Funny moment, the playing area was so small on Sun I had to leave my interval shandy (half drunk) on a shelf in a public area couple of foot away from me as there was nowhere onstage to put it. Glanced over during 2nd song of second set to see some local old boiler finishing it off, obviously thought it had been left and was therefore up for grabs. Had a streaming cold so she might be equally under the weather by now, glass must have been well contaminated.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1486471197' post='3232045']
Routine pub gigs last weekend, both Sat & Sun happened to be in tiny pubs with very small playing areas, not very comfortable but thought I gave it my best shot. Funny moment, the playing area was so small on Sun I had to leave my interval shandy (half drunk) on a shelf in a public area couple of foot away from me as there was nowhere onstage to put it. Glanced over during 2nd song of second set to see some local old boiler finishing it off, obviously thought it had been left and was therefore up for grabs. Had a streaming cold so she might be equally under the weather by now, glass must have been well contaminated.
[/quote]

ugh... who does that? going around drinking other people's abandoned drinks...?

well, my old singer in the RHCP tribute band did :lol:
he was a character

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1486472451' post='3232063']
ugh... who does that? going around drinking other people's abandoned drinks...?

well, my old singer in the RHCP tribute band did :lol:
he was a character
[/quote]

So did an ex-navy friend of mine when he'd had a few. "Minesweeping" he called it. Announced by him looking at me and announcing "Three Green Balls!" which is apparently the flag they fly when carrying out said activity. Did I ever join in - you betcha! Can't leave a guy on his own now, can you.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1486493803' post='3232287']
So did an ex-navy friend of mine when he'd had a few. "Minesweeping" he called it. Announced by him looking at me and announcing "Three Green Balls!" which is apparently the flag they fly when carrying out said activity. Did I ever join in - you betcha! Can't leave a guy on his own now, can you.
[/quote]

:lol:

still... UGH! :P

It wasn't even a late night gig, one of those early eve Sunday jobs so we probably started the second set around 7:15. What cracked me up was her initial expression when she realised it was only 50% lager and 50% lemonade but then just carried on drinking it anyway. Probably been on the sauce all day, not alone in that respect in that particular venue either. Generally a pretty good atmosphere though, just a stupidly cramped playing area which I never like much.

Last night was a private party. The punter asked if we could play 9-10 and then 11 til midnight which was odd. Great venue with a proper stage and lighting. It was in a social club, and when we got there the remains (pardon the expression) of a wake from the afternoon were still hanging around. They never really left!

The first set was OK a few people joned in the singing and danced. It emptied out a bit before the second set, but the crowd were really into it. Probably the most responsive crowd we've ever had right from the first number. We got loads of positive comments and overall it was a great night.

Thi fighting didn't start until we'd finished strippng down.

Friday night: short-notice gig at the Thistle Park Tavern in Plymouth, due to a cancellation. Did it as our original 3-piece line up as per when we started - a few weeks off 10 years ago! Blimey, where did that go...
Really enjoyed going back to a trio, and the punters loved it too.
Must do more as a 3-piece!

A double helping of top gigs for us - first of all Friday we had a gig at a new venue with a dep drummer. Although it sounds like recipe for disaster it couldn't have been further from the truth! A good crowd who were ready for every Thin Lizzy track we could throw at them, and a return booking later this year.

Last night saw a return to The Greyhound in Beeston and another cracking night was to be had. The young sound tech Richard certainly knew his stuff and just like the night before, the enthusiastic crowd loved it from the first note to the last. Again, a return later in the years is penciled in

After a few weeks away from the live scene over Xmas this was just the return we all wanted.

Edited by DaytonaRik

We played the Rolleston in the centre of Swindon last Saturday, good venue, small but well attended, have bands on at least twice a week, so the audience are really into it. Had our home crowd of Saints (people from St Helena) in, our drummer and guitarist are from the island. We always go down well with these guys around. We're moving away from a fixed format for our songs and allowing more room for jamming, seems to be a popular move with the audiences.

After a couple of months depping in another band I was back with the 80s band for a local gig this weekend. A place we had played a number of times before with good crowd participation, this time however there must have been something in the beer because I can't remember the last time I played to such an unresponsive bunch......tumbleweed at the end of most songs even in the second set. Nights like these make me wonder why I bother :/

Played The Star Inn in Guildford on Saturday with my hard-rock/metal type band; arrived with my gear to be met by a pub full of nicely turned out people eating their dinner & thought “Oh dear, it’s going to be one of [i]those[/i] nights” but the barman sees me then sends me to the back-room & it’s awesome – proper little music venue, good sized stage & decent looking PA, result!

Crowd wasn’t the biggest but an ok size, we played fine & got another booked somewhere else off the back of it so all good. The best part was actually getting to use my “big-rig” which looked tiny compared to the 410+115+different heads the other bassists were using as it’s only 2*112 but it sounded absolutely thunderous – I forgot how aggressive the TKS S112’s can sound when you start driving them with some decent power!

Despite PA issues and problems with my gear Friday night was a more than respectable gig.

We played an 7- 11 at The Grafton Live Arts Center. It was fun to play to something other than the typical bar crowd.

Big room with large tables, large dance floor in front of the risers set up for us. Bar in the rear of the room.

Really nice size crowd and more dancing than we've had in ages. And we're not a dance band.

It was a 60 plus crowd that still appreciates the 3 guitars , a drummer and vocal harmony format.

Blue

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1486979266' post='3235930']
After a couple of months depping in another band I was back with the 80s band for a local gig this weekend. A place we had played a number of times before with good crowd participation, this time however there must have been something in the beer because I can't remember the last time I played to such an unresponsive bunch......tumbleweed at the end of most songs even in the second set. Nights like these make me wonder why I bother :/
[/quote]

It happens to most of us, all gigs are not great. It's a part of the business. You play your best regardless , get paid and go home.

All it takes is one "hot gig" and you'll feel great again

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1486970690' post='3235870']
We played the Rolleston in the centre of Swindon last Saturday, good venue, small but well attended, have bands on at least twice a week, so the audience are really into it. Had our home crowd of Saints (people from St Helena) in, our drummer and guitarist are from the island. We always go down well with these guys around. We're moving away from a fixed format for our songs and allowing more room for jamming, seems to be a popular move with the audiences.
[/quote]

Sounds like a cool fulfilling gig Dave.

Blue

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1486885829' post='3235188']
Friday night: short-notice gig at the Thistle Park Tavern in Plymouth, due to a cancellation. Did it as our original 3-piece line up as per when we started - a few weeks off 10 years ago! Blimey, where did that go...
Really enjoyed going back to a trio, and the punters loved it too.
Must do more as a 3-piece!
[/quote]

Nothing better then When a trio is burning on all 6 cylinders.

Blue