Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Went over to Nottingham for [b]KevB[/b]'s jam session again yesterday afternoon.This time took the rest of the band and we got up and did our 4 best numbers (sorry Kev, that's as good as it gets, lol :lol: ) Later drummer and I got up and did a couple of songs with another guitarist that was there. Drummer really enjoyed this - it's the first time he's ever done anything like it as he, like me, is relatively new to all this.
So all in all it was a good fun afternoon.

Kev was in fine form, of course. In particular, I really loved his version of Cheap Sunglasses B)

Sunglasses hmm...shame the rest of the house band hadn't listened to it as much as I'd hoped. We did a lot of stuff not done for ages (or at all) so it was all rather hit and miss, that particular lineup has only ben going 3 or 4 sessions so we are all learning from each other to some extent still. Nice to see 'Shell and the rest of sun puddle. Jam sessions are a good stepping stone for new bands between rehearsals and a full on gig I always think.

Played a new pub...for us...in order to get summer season gigs in the Garden party thing started as I know new LL will target this
as the setting by the river is fab. Marquee, summers day will really work.

Had a real star turn on the kit who totally wowed the crowd...and I mean, totally.
Good turnout but I doubt they noticed the rest of us... ha ha ...and they were our followers...!!!

So, he's booked again, then :lol:

Played my first proper gig in years on wednesday night (you might notice i've been absent from these parts for a good while now), it was with some folk I've been jamming and playing open mics with a little recently. Last week, the singer asked me if I could play in a gig she had lined up, and could I learn a 45 minute set? I said yes, not realised what I'd gotten myself into - a week isn't long enough to properly learn a 45 minute set! We had three short practices, none of which the full band was present for and was properly ropey, but somehow, it all came together on the night. We messed up in a few places, but I don't think many people noticed, and we had a really good reception - probably the best gig I ever played! We've decided to keep at it and get some more gigs, and I've got more motivation to play and will be buying a new bass tomorrow, so good stuff all round!

couple of photos :)

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1384161278' post='2273263']
Headlined the Oxjam takeover day in Cardiff.
Had a quick rehearsal beforehand to teach the drummer new tunes and remind everyone of structures of a couple that we hadn't played in a while.
And ...wow. We had 3 singers and an MC and we tore the roof off! Made up new arrangements on the fly and the crowd were going nuts for it... quote of the night was "every time I see you guys my face hurts from grinning so much!"
[/quote]

And here's a pic - 20 of us in the band at this point!
[URL=http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/chaylockyer/media/905316_10151956960240141_923303595_o_zps25564c5a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/chaylockyer/905316_10151956960240141_923303595_o_zps25564c5a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Not too bad. Dep with the drummer from my 'main' classic rock band in his funky/disco function band. Bit of Chic, Kylie, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroqui etc. Interesting for a person who is happier with a pick and ends up with an odd claw like method for some bits but it works(ish) :)

Not a lot of room to move, particularly with a stand for the keyboard for bass synth - for two songs - why on earth did I bother!?

Seemed to go OK & remembered most of it.

Rig was sounding nice where I was. Wal > Microbass II (as a mixer for the synth & bass) > TC BH250 > Super12T on a Gramma Pad. Seemed to have a fairly solid sound with a bit of snap.

Bit different than usual as it was on guitar. A duo with a female singer so nowhere to hide :ph34r:

Went down well and picked up a private gig for next Saturday in some chateau, where we'll apparently be playing to the owner and 20 guests so not exactly Woodstock but sounds like fun with probably nice food.

Great to have the opportunity to play stuff like Fly me to the moon, Got you under my skin, Girl (boy) from Ipanema etc. Might even help my bass playing a bit with all these chords.

We had a great gig @ the Beat Bar in Widnes last night. We where told by the agent midnight start, but it ended up being 1am before we started playing!! Since we started so late we opted to play through without a break. The crowd where great, helped by the fact they where all quite drunk. Apparently this place is where everyone goes when the pubs close!!
Very high stage, so lucky I had my gramma pad to prevent boom, the guitarist had his own probs with that.

All in all a great gig, got to bed just after 4am.

we played a little pub just outside Chester for my brothers birthday , it was fantastic , everyone was bouncing all the way through both sets, we blooded a couple of new songs and were asked to play them again B) .
We played on after the landlord gave us the nod to a couple more songs after 12.00 and everyone went home drunk and quite happy

Long long house band stint today at a jam session, wouldn't normally relate it but one particular set was bizarre. Asked to back a couple of guys playing guitars doing a few songs I don't usually do but happened to know them reasonably well. One of them sets off doing the songs fine, the other clearly didn't or had some kind of serious mental block. The bizarre thing was he evidently wasn't listening to either me or the other guitarist or even looking for guidance, seemed genuinely oblivious to the train wreck he was creating and ploughed along throwing in wrong chord after wrong chord. Utter shambles that seemed to just go on forever. Still, that's jam sessions for ya :rolleyes: Felt like I earned my fee today...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1385339660' post='2287266']
Long long house band stint today at a jam session, wouldn't normally relate it but one particular set was bizarre. Asked to back a couple of guys playing guitars doing a few songs I don't usually do but happened to know them reasonably well. One of them sets off doing the songs fine, the other clearly didn't or had some kind of serious mental block. The bizarre thing was he evidently wasn't listening to either me or the other guitarist or even looking for guidance, seemed genuinely oblivious to the train wreck he was creating and ploughed along throwing in wrong chord after wrong chord. Utter shambles that seemed to just go on forever. Still, that's jam sessions for ya :rolleyes: Felt like I earned my fee today...
[/quote]

Blimey Kev, that sounds excruciating! Almost wish I'd seen it though, out of morbid curiosity lol :D
Well done you for ploughing through - that's why you're a pro :-)

Saturday night at one of our usual venues, landlady's birthday so the place is packed out, good night had by all. Incidentally, new extension cab arrived Saturday morning so perfect timing to try it out. I'm set up by the window, bass sounds great, really clear and I can actually be heard over our two guitarists. End of the evening, the drummer's missus comes to pick him up and says "I've been sat in the car down the road and I can hear the pub's windows vibrating". :ph34r: That'll be me then... They might get some complaints.....

Had a gig this morning at 10 15 a.m. to an entire 1st school audience!

They filed in to " Night Train" and we did an original number( Zoot Dukes) where we all got a solo, then "Minnie the Moocher" ( had them all singing hi de hi de hi), "Caledonia", "Choo Choo choo Boogie", and they filed out 15 minutes later to "Tequila". Good job they were too young to look at the lyrics on a few of the tunes......!

First chance to use my Gramma Pad on a wooden hollow stage, sounded well good...

Funny driving home at 11.15 am. No Kebab or Curry Houses open!

Dick Venom & The Terrortones were supporting The Meteors at The Hairy Dog in Derby last night.

On the whole really good gig. Potentially quiet a hard audience to impress, but we had support from some of our regular fans, and by the end of the set we'd won a good number of crowd over. One or two technical glitches during the second song but I doubt many people noticed, and we really could have done with a bit more room on stage, but that's the downside of supporting someone well known and not being able to do any equipment sharing - even a decent sized stage starts to shrink when there's two drum kits set up on it.

By the end of the evening we had sold a good number of singles and T-shirts and had a load of new sign-ups for the mailing list (although I wonder how many thought they were signing up for The Meteors!) The people at The Hairy Dog were well impressed and want to have us back for some more good support slots.

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1467394_765110706838005_1459665344_n_zpsed7e8d69.jpg[/IMG]

Slightly off topic but didn't know where else to put it...

I've got my first gig in over two years tomorrow afternoon. We've had two rehearsals...played most of the set through once...some songs maybe even twice! The last minute addition of Valerie means there will be at least one song I haven't played in years. And in the last thirty minutes of the last rehearsal we decided to play Moves Like Jagger, Get Lucky and What Makes You Beautiful.

Should be fun. Charity gig as well which is nice.

Will file a report tomorrow evening :D

Mixed...

Transport mix-ups meant that I arrived very late at the venue, and once there discovered that what I thought was a lead problem with my Line6 Shortboard (that I had spent a couple of hours in the afternoon struggling with RJ45 connectors to fix) was actually a fault on the Shortboard itself, so I was stuck without any patch changes during the songs.

We were doing a one-off set with both guitarists who have been standing in for recent gigs while we've been getting our new permanent guitarist up to speed. This went really well with some great interplay between the two including doing alternating notes all through the verse of one song! Unfortunately there didn't appear to be anything coming out of the PA except feedback. Vocals were all but inaudible and the Theremin silent... Turns out the sound engineer was completely pissed. We were not at all happy by this point (nor were the venue management who actually hire the guy) because he f***ed up what was otherwise a good set. Several of the songs cycle around the main riff until the vocals come in and all of these had to be done by guess-work.

Luckily there was another sound engineer in the audience who managed to get a decent mix together for the headlining band and rescue the evening...

Reg pub gig, looked oddly quiet for half the first set (we do this venue every month and usually it's pretty busy from the off) and a lot of usual familiar regulars absent. However it soon got up to normal level and by midway through set 2 it was heaving to the point we were backing our mic stands further into the corner to give more dancing room to the 'front row'. We even chucked in a couple of new numbers (unrehearsed) one went fine, the other stuttered to a premature halt thanks to singer not doing his homework. Now I'm as tired as anyone of doing Sex On B@stard Fire but there is something about it when virtually the entire pub comes in on the chorus perfectly and make the windows vibrate. It's almost like being in a real rock n roll band ;)

finally had our first near miss last night with the gear, halfway through the second set this bloke who was obviously 3 sheets to the wind bounced up like he had done thoughout the night and tripped just in front of the pa stack i hide behind, i managed to catch my mic stand in my right hand and the lights which were behind the pa with my left, unfortunately on doing this i hurt my back and my left elbow which im sufferring with tennis elbow at the moment. One death stare later and i never saw the d*ck for the rest of the set, there are times it pays to be an ex goalkeeper!