Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

that's pretty cool wateroftyne,,, we drove from Scunthorpe to Edinburgh, played the Playhouse and drove all the way back,, some bright spark shut the A1 at Berwick and suffered a bloody de tour,,have never been so happy to see Newcastle, almost felt like we were nearly home.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1379853912' post='2217407']
What a great gig to play. Can't make out the faces from the pic, who was there from the cast?
[/quote]

Just Tim Healy and Kevin Whately, along with Melanie Hill, Julia Tobin and Lesley Saint John from the cast, and Ian La Frenais, Dick Clement and Franc Roddam. The rest of the surviving cast had done intereviews that were on VT.. It was fantastic.

[quote name='Toddy' timestamp='1379859672' post='2217473']
that's pretty cool wateroftyne,,, we drove from Scunthorpe to Edinburgh, played the Playhouse and drove all the way back,, some bright spark shut the A1 at Berwick and suffered a bloody de tour,,have never been so happy to see Newcastle, almost felt like we were nearly home.
[/quote]

Ouch! I can imagine the detour was a bit nasty..

Street party gig. Had to tune to a small boy:

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/DSCF1705_zps580f2f32.jpg.html][IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/DSCF1705_zps580f2f32.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/DSCF1702_zps784c0d76.jpg.html][IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/DSCF1702_zps784c0d76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Used to venues that can't afford security to stop idiots coming on stage and messing with gear, but usually at those making your own physical arrangements with said persons is regarded standard practice, here, not so much, so my set suffered from a guy coming on stage and kicking the power off.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1379852421' post='2217392']
Last night's gig was at the Auf Wiedersehen Pet 30th Anniversary celebration at The Hilton in Gateshead.

If - like me - you're a lifelong fan of the show, you know how good the songs are.. and I got to play 'em. :-)

It was a big room, 450-ish people, with a lovely PA. I only needed to take a single TKS 112 cab. It filled the stage nicely, and the PA did the rest.

[/quote]
looks like he DI and miked you up,,, proper..

After the SE Bass Bash, we played at the Henry VI in Eton for the first time. It was an intimate space but we went down really well. Only trouble was that I was stood very near one of the PA speakers so had to ensure my lugholes were kept behind the speaker which was tough given the cramped conditions. Nice to have a couple of guest musos do a slot too.

Tonight, another new venue, The Anchor in Faversham. A bit further than we normally go but another good gig. We are on a bit of a roll at the moment and I'm hoping we can keep the momentum up towards recording a CD.

Just got in from country gig with my trio, myself on guitar. The venue has an electrical transformer station behind the back wall of the stage, so hum-cancelling pickups are essential. For that reason I played my Les Paul for the 1st and 3rd sets, and my Strat (in p/u positions 2 and 4) for the 2nd. The LP was a little dark for some numbers, but sounded ace with a bit of analog delay - almost like a fat steel guitar at times.

Trad country crowd, so played mostly trad country songs. Went down very well indeed. Day off now to chill and... er... do tax return! Also one of my stage light didn't work, so will have to get that sorted before next gig.

I got my arse kicked last night. By a girl.

Did a trio gig with pianist Kate Williams. Great tunes and great arrangements but some seriously tough charts including Dienda by Kenny Kirkland (its in the Chuck Sher Real Book if you want to see it), a chart from Eliane Elias and one from Michel Petrucciani. Her website is here:

http://www.kate-williams-quartet.com/

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1379889644' post='2218007']

Tonight, another new venue, The Anchor in Faversham. A bit further than we normally go but another good gig. We are on a bit of a roll at the moment and I'm hoping we can keep the momentum up towards recording a CD.
[/quote]

Which band was that...? they've cancelled us for next week.
Trying to find out what is going on.... not so fussed as we can't get the money there, but it was a very popular gig for us and we do well in the town

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1379946401' post='2218539']
I got my arse kicked last night. By a girl.

Did a trio gig with pianist Kate Williams. Great tunes and great arrangements but some seriously tough charts including Dienda by Kenny Kirkland (its in the Chuck Sher Real Book if you want to see it), a chart from Eliane Elias and one from Michel Petrucciani. Her website is here:

[url="http://www.kate-williams-quartet.com/"]http://www.kate-williams-quartet.com/[/url]
[/quote]
Kate's great, as is her partner Pete Whittaker, who is also a stunningly good organ player.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Not last night but Sunday,
I did a charity event for the teenage cancer trust with my good pal Elliot Davis.
Bit of a star studded event at the St James's theatre.
The band: myself, Andy treacey, Ollie Hannifan and Joe Louis Robinson were joined onstage by Elliot on piano. We were backing a load of west end singers and some songwriters.
Jenna Russell, Paul baker, Michael Xavier, Caroline Sheen, Cassie Compton were some of the singers (there were more)
James Rhodes did a solo classical piano piece.
And in the song writer sections we were joined by Graham Gouldman (10cc) and Gary Kemp (spandau ballet)
There were a bunch of composers/producers there too including George Stiles (who also played a number, what a pianist!)
It was a really great, positive event and such a good cause...
Highlights were playing:
Remember Us with George Stiles
Dreadlock Holiday with Graham Gouldman
Through the barricades with Gary Kemp
and Wichita lineman with both Gary and Graham.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Last night's gig was 'interesting'. Our drummer diverted on the way to the gig to the local A&E, so after a few frantic phone calls to other drummers we had to perform without any percussion; the audience was 'young dementia sufferers' (average age about 75) who were lively and enthusiastic.

We played the Alleycat in Denmark Street. Tiny club which was jampacked. Unfortunately the band before us was a loud mod/Oasis type band with a pissed rowdy following. Throughout our half-hour set their drunken crew kept chanting "Zoots, Zoots, Zoots" (the band's name), leading to middle finger salutes from our lady singers. Shame as we had a fair few people who had come to see us and we played pretty well (not having played together for a month). I would play there again but only if the band line-up was better matched

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380365971' post='2224306']
We played the Alleycat in Denmark Street. Tiny club which was jampacked. Unfortunately the band before us was a loud mod/Oasis type band with a pissed rowdy following. Throughout our half-hour set their drunken crew kept chanting "Zoots, Zoots, Zoots" (the band's name), leading to middle finger salutes from our lady singers. Shame as we had a fair few people who had come to see us and we played pretty well (not having played together for a month). I would play there again but only if the band line-up was better matched
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that, that would really wind me up too.

Ours was The Hop Pole Inn, Bromsgrove. Not a bad gig, but one annoying drunk bloke kept heckling. A more sober lady said we were the best band to have ever played there! Not bad seeing as they have live music three times a week every week, and the chaps from Steel Pulse play there :-)
I decided to ignore him and pay attention to her :-)

Edit: the landlord has asked us to book in for another couple of gigs, as "everyone has been asking" - nice feedback

Edited by Roland Rock

Just back from playing my first gig in over eight years.

Enjoyed my brief time onstage, and the audience response was fantastic, but I was also reminded why I dislike gigging so much - so much fannying about for a short period of enjoyment.

Can't see me going back to doing it regularly.

Depping with a country band at a wedding with a free bar! we were on at midnight after two sh*t hot bands ((Motown/soul and latin/flamenco) and what passed for a sound check was ten minutes of confusion while a dj let rip at extreme volume. For the first couple of numbers we couldn't hear a thing , the soundman couldn't seem to find the fader to bring up the lead vocals on stage..After about three songs things seemed to gel and all I could see what a sea of smiley people dancing. I was driving so couldn't take advantage of the. bar. Got home at 4am with money i my pocket.
Not bad, not my usual gig but I'd certainly do i again.

Good night at the Swan in Farnborough last night, DJ in between sets which was good and bad, got them up dancing at halftime and we kept them going but the load out was through the dancers at the end when the DJ took over! Got my arse groped on the way through at one time, now when I was single I would have welcomed this but now I'm happily with my young lady I consider it sexual harassment in the work place, think I might sue......😉