Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

did a Songs of Praise in a rather old-style chapel on Saturday. We didn't have a drummer which didn't please me but we got away with it.

They have a platform on which we had to fit a piano + player, trumpet, 2 violins, bass (me), singer, and acoustic guitar/singer. They also have an old-fashioned high level pulpit above the platform in which I placed the bass rig and the keyboard combo so we had the backline just above our heads. We placed 3 wedge monitors on the front pew ... but I heard almost nothing from them.

Was on the way to a wedding gig at the China Fleet Club when the guitarist called and said thst his wife had pranged the car. We were supposed to be supplying PA for the opening act and he carries the PA.
Bum.
Much franticness, but we got it sorted. The first act had a small but entirely adequate system with them anyway, so problem much reduced if not entirely solved. And it was a great gig!

Played one of our seaside pubs last night.

Not a bad gig at all - usual 50s/60s set which went down very well and then it happened...................

One of our old super session guitarist mates was there and got forced up to do a number with us.

Bloody Nora! - we did 'Walk On The Wild Side' and it worked :D !

Never played it in our lives before, the crowed went nuts and the landlord smiled.

Wedding in Glasgow last night, had a proper stage which was nice - had a hollow wooden one a few weeks back which destroyed my bass sound. What was nicer was having the proper line-up all present, for the last few gigs we've had stand in drummers and I was away last weekend so it was nice having everyone n the same page knowing all the songs.

Also, I swore that the guy who joined the bride for the first dance was not the guy in the middle of the circle during Loch Lomond at the end of the night - both positions normally taken by the groom. What did I miss?!

And another with massive dreads nearly set himself on fire from the candles onstage

Last two night have been up in Berwick,, filming "Chubbys" New DVD,, must say, having Universal and their film crew with us for two days was pretty cool,, Catering, Make up ladies, Crew etc...Two sell out shows for the big man tho, and as always we were very well looked after, even found a really cool music shop in Berwick with its own Café and chill out area, and again, shown some great gear and stuff......Hats off to Scotty for dressing the stage in lights,,, looked absolutely fantastic....

Edited by Toddy

{Not so) Super secret gig at Mr Venom's house to celebrate the launch of our new single [url=http://www.dickvenom.com/merchandise.html]Invasion Of The SpiderQueen[/url]. We squeezed into the front room:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1001267_10151596597111339_1619030816_n_zps06fe18c8.jpg[/IMG]

the usual contents of which had been moved outside under a temporary gazebo attached to the front of the house, and invited a whole load of fans via Facebook. Mr Venom also went around his street warning/inviting the other residents. It turned out that one of the other houses was also having a party that night and they all turned up to watch us play, so we had about 25 people crammed into the room with us (including a large number of very attractive young ladies who were most definitely getting into the spirit of things) and many more peering in from the kitchen and outside.

It turned out to be a most successful evening. The police didn't show up to to make us stop after 2 songs. The audience composed of both people who knew all the songs and those who'd never seen us play before all loved it. We sold a copies of our new single (and couple of our first one too) and then proceeded to get even more drunk. At some point later today I'll have to go back and pack up all the equipment and help Mr Venom make his house habitable once more. But not yet...

Did a party in Cotswolds which is quite a trek for us. Marquee and barn and the budget was good enough to get all this right.
Power good... DJ good and we complemented well. Stage good, so all the things we ask for were adhered to.
Hard work 'competing' with DJ for a 21st and 25th..and a few others... so that was good.

Also, think we did well enough to get more work with this set who know how to put on a party.
NIce nice nice, allround..and I wasn't looking forward to a 5 hr round trip, so at least we know
now that the next enquiry will be worth looking at.

Decent gig, wedding so you never quite know how it's going to go but they were a good crowd and plenty on the dance floor all night. Groom spotted me heading for the changing room after the gig and specifically thanked us for putting on a good show, said everyone really liked it. Only downer was the mic lead provided by band leader had died and since I only bring one with me I couldn't set up my little Boehringer monitor. Judging by sniffy comment from band leader when I told him I couldnt monitor myself it's quite clear he has a real thing about monitoring full stop which i find quite bizarre, so I've withdrawn from providing bvox for the band. If he prefers to get someone else in it's fine by me I'm just not going to be unnecessarily compromised over something which amounts to an unreasonable phobia on his part.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1379258955' post='2210443']
Decent gig, wedding so you never quite know how it's going to go but they were a good crowd and plenty on the dance floor all night. Groom spotted me heading for the changing room after the gig and specifically thanked us for putting on a good show, said everyone really liked it. Only downer was the mic lead provided by band leader had died and since I only bring one with me I couldn't set up my little Boehringer monitor. Judging by sniffy comment from band leader when I told him I couldnt monitor myself it's quite clear he has a real thing about monitoring full stop which i find quite bizarre, so I've withdrawn from providing bvox for the band. If he prefers to get someone else in it's fine by me I'm just not going to be unnecessarily compromised over something which amounts to an unreasonable phobia on his part.
[/quote]good for you man

Played a belter on Friday i was a bit apprehensive as we hadn't rehearsed properly for a while. Pub gig we hadn't played before. Right from the start the drummer was on fire,loved it did a few requests we hadn't played for a long time. Punters were loving the Official Bass Player Pork Pie Hat, getting pictures taken with it. Place was mobbed and loving life.

Afterwards, the guitarist says he's fed up and wants to jack it in after we've played our last gig this year.That'll be the gig that's almost 30 years to the day that we had our first gig!!

I'm in shock to be honest,feels a bit like your wife/ partner has told you that after many years of what you thought was a rock solid relationship that they're out!

It was a great gig though!

Played an outdoor gig at a market in a tiny village. The stage was so small that we had to put the microphones on the ground. Here is what I noticed:[list]
[*]Playing outside is a lot colder than playing inside.
[*]When the music is an extra (unlike playing a proper gig), people really do not watch
[/list]
Setting up was hilarious. We show up in no few than three cars, one with a trailer. There is a an old lady under a marquee singing songs accompanied by an even older man playing accordion. We then unload an enormous amount of stuff; our drummer does a lot of PA stuff on the side has a lot of PA gear and seemingly brought enough to play Knebworth.

I was not on my best form, though, and fluffed it a few times, including a couple of howlers (played a section in E instead of A, was distracted by the organiser and forgot how to play a part of a song). It also rained for a good part. In our second set, most people had gone and we were playing to the organisers, a few stallholders and our significant others.

We were well received, though, and have been provisionally invited back next year. We got paid too. The gig was arranged months back and the fee was 75% of our unofficial minimum, so I had waived my pay so the other three would get theirs, as this small village is where I live. Annoyingly, we have moved 250km away now and I spent more than what I would have been paid in petrol driving there and back!

First night as the house band dep last night. I managed to dial in a real nice sound and got through the night with not too much bother. Some of the material was tough from a remembering the changes point of view. Pen and paper to make charts and I would have been fine. When I was leaving everyone was very complimentary and someone said they would get me some more work, which is nice.

We played Mold Food festival this lunchtime , it was great fun , only 45min slot but made loads of contacts and added a few party enquires to the diary , we hope to get a double slot call back for next year as all the organisers loved it . It does seem a real guilty pleasure having a pie and pint at a lunchtime gig , a real treat all round .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379241723' post='2210107']
{Not so) Super secret gig at Mr Venom's house to celebrate the launch of our new single [url=http://www.dickvenom.com/merchandise.html]Invasion Of The SpiderQueen[/url]. We squeezed into the front room:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1001267_10151596597111339_1619030816_n_zps06fe18c8.jpg[/IMG]

the usual contents of which had been moved outside under a temporary gazebo attached to the front of the house, and invited a whole load of fans via Facebook. Mr Venom also went around his street warning/inviting the other residents. It turned out that one of the other houses was also having a party that night and they all turned up to watch us play, so we had about 25 people crammed into the room with us (including a large number of very attractive young ladies who were most definitely getting into the spirit of things) and many more peering in from the kitchen and outside.

It turned out to be a most successful evening. The police didn't show up to to make us stop after 2 songs. The audience composed of both people who knew all the songs and those who'd never seen us play before all loved it. We sold a copies of our new single (and couple of our first one too) and then proceeded to get even more drunk. At some point later today I'll have to go back and pack up all the equipment and help Mr Venom make his house habitable once more. But not yet...
[/quote]

I was chatting to a friend today who mentioned that she was at a living room gig at Sherwood Rise last week! It took the briefest of descriptions to figure out that it was you. She really enjoyed it.

BTW, do you really need two cabs in a living room :-D

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1379793822' post='2216897']
I was chatting to a friend today who mentioned that she was at a living room gig at Sherwood Rise last week! It took the briefest of descriptions to figure out that it was you. She really enjoyed it.

BTW, do you really need two cabs in a living room :-D
[/quote]

Thanks! That's always good to know.

Do I really need two cabs in a living room? Probably not, but the amp is two channel so I prefer to run a cab off each side just to be safe and besides it's floor space that's at a premium and the second cab doesn't actually take up any more of it. And that is my small rig!

BTW the PA was composed of 2 home-made 2x12 wedge monitors that are over 30 years old running off a Maplin kit 100+100W Mosfet amp. Quite a few people said we had probably the best sound of any of our recent gigs...

Played a caravan club's end of season party last night, outdoors, but well set-up and with a crowd who were really up for it, so a lot of fun. It was also to celebrate the owner being diagnosed with a terminal illness five years ago, but not succumbing to it.

A couple of firsts last night, I've depped for these guys a fair bit the last couple of years, but have now taken over as the main bassist and last night was my first show officially 'in' the band. Also, my first gig with my new G&L - deep, punchy, clear sound, with a very comfortable neck, loved it.

Played at a small festival at my local pub yesterday afternoon, two one hour sets, then packed our gear and moved to another pub a few miles away for our evening gig, same two sets plus encore. Not bad considering our drummer was dosed up with painkillers to keep his flu symptoms down, the second guitarist could only make the first gig and our main guitarist suffered from cramp in his hand.

Both gigs were paid and it was gratifying that some of the festival audience followed us to the second gig.

Should be the last outing for my Ashdown 410 as its new owner is due to collect it today.

Edited by FinnDave

Officially last of our summer gigs and this was at a Golf club.
Was a bit worried about the age range, but it went really well.

Probably picked up more enquires from this gig than any other
and we have to convert them, but I can already see next year
being pretty busy with the right sort of gigs.

Now we go down to about 2 gigs a months and we have time to sort out a new drummer.

Pub gig last night in Barnes SW London. Not too many there at the start but a packed pub for the second set. Hot and sweaty but good fun. We played one song twice as one of the punters was gutted he'd missed it when we kicked off the first set with it. So SE Bassbash during the day then gig in the evening, great day. :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1379850999' post='2217366']
Pub gig last night in Barnes SW London. Not too many there at the start ....
[/quote]

He's not joking you know.

When we kicked off set #1, apart from the handful of people the band had brought the audience really did comprise one man and a dog.

Then the dog left.

Last night's gig was at the Auf Wiedersehen Pet 30th Anniversary celebration at The Hilton in Gateshead.

If - like me - you're a lifelong fan of the show, you know how good the songs are.. and I got to play 'em. :-)

It was a big room, 450-ish people, with a lovely PA. I only needed to take a single TKS 112 cab. It filled the stage nicely, and the PA did the rest.