Why become a member? ×

Good bass for black metal?

rasher80

I have a friend who is in a newly-signed black metal band and he needs a new 4 string bass.

AFAIK the bass he's been using isn't his and he needs one pretty sharpish.

Unfortunately, until the royalties start rolling in, he's constrained by budget the the tune of about £200 ish. He could perhaps get something brand new, or maybe with the budget available he could look at used options? I know nothing about this particular genre of music and what bass would suit it best. At the moment he is using a P bass copy; i think his only stipulation is that it's not a bright colour! Also one of his band has a BC Rich and he's definitely not up for one of those either! Not sure whether he wants active or passive...

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by rasher80

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72476&hl=yamaha"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...6&hl=yamaha[/url]

Maybe something like this?
If it wasn't for the fact I don't need it and haven't really got the spare cash for it I'd go for it. I'll add though I don't play black metal, partly because I don't know what it is. :) :rolleyes: I'm out of touch with all things yuuf you understand.

Anyway, looks the business at a nice sort of price.

[quote name='rasher80' post='725057' date='Jan 26 2010, 12:48 PM']I have a friend who is in a newly-signed black metal band and he needs a new 4 string bass.

AFAIK the bass he's been using isn't his and he needs one pretty sharpish.

Unfortunately, until the royalties start rolling in, he's constrained by budget the the tune of about £200. I know it's unlikely he will pick something up new for that price that will be decent, so maybe he could look at used options? I know nothing about this particular genre of music and what bass would suit it best. At the moment he is using a P bass copy; i think his only stipulation is that it's not a bright colour! Also one of his band has a BC Rich and he's definitely not up for one of those either! Not sure whether he wants active or passive...

Anyone got any ideas?[/quote]

Any thing in Black. Aria, Squire etc. I dont think theres a particular "type" of bass for every genre. If it was me I'd go for one of those Hello Kitty or Hannah Montanna ones just to make an impression! :)

I'd proably be looking for a 2nd hand ESP LTD or Ibanez

I played a really good LTD SG style bass a while ago, had a huge tone from two massive EMG humbuckers, woulda been great for metal.

I'd have a serious look at this one though, very cheap and should sound beastly:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-Ltd-F-104-F104-F-104-Active-Bass-24-fret-Metal_W0QQitemZ250569052409QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3a571450f9"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-Ltd-F-104-F104-F...=item3a571450f9[/url]

[quote name='bassbloke' post='725152' date='Jan 26 2010, 01:57 PM']This is black metal. You don't need great tone :)

Someone on here (badgerific?) is selling a BC Rich beast, in black, for silly money.[/quote]

[i]Everyone[/i] needs great tone!!
Seriously, though, Mog is right when he says there's no specific instrument type or style for a given genre. It's not so much WHAT you play as HOW you play it!
He just needs to try everything, and choose an instrument that is comfortable and sounds good!

Any bass + this:

I've seen live pics of King Ov Hell (Gorgoroth) playing a fretless, possibly a Warwick, really, its down to the player.

If I was playing Black Metal, I'd play a P bass, trashed, spend the rest on new steel strings and be fully prepared to hit people with it if I was really feeling the music.

[quote name='Lorne' post='725819' date='Jan 26 2010, 10:25 PM']You do know who owns Traben right?

Hanser Music Group,owners of B.C.Rich,they're probably all made in the same place

BTW,a new £200 BC Rich will be pretty crap[/quote]

They may be owned by the same company that owns BC Rich, but they aren't the same basses, are they?
The trabens i've played sounded rather good, with plenty of low end and an interesting tone, and could be had for close to £200. Not particularly pointy, but rather erm conspicuous bridge....
Never played a BC Rich bass, so I can't comment on them.

A Yamaha BB414 / BB415 would look good in that setting:

You can get the BB415 5-string for £269 new which is a bit over budget but it's worth checking eBay!

As mentioned previously, Trabens are also a good bet, there's a couple in the for sale section.

Edited by dannybuoy