Why become a member? ×

Macca on X Factor

Clarky

[quote name='YouMa' post='683540' date='Dec 13 2009, 11:31 PM']I cant believe he went on the program, more dignity lost....Just not cool.[/quote]

I don't think Macca and cool have been on nodding terms for some decades. (Mull of Kintyre? Frog chorus? Band on the Run?)

I'd be surprised if he got a fee: anyone with anything to plug has been queueing up to play either Xfactor or Strictly because the exposure is huge. Mind if they did pay him, 10m cast votes last night for Xfactor, at £1? per call. no wonder they can afford all those sparklers and lights and Cowell is a millionaire.....

He also appeared a couple of weeks ago on the Children in Need concert at the Albert Hall. Both he and Annie Lennox stole the show. He's still a great performer but more of a national institution nowadays.

I didn't see the show, as I was deeply ensconced in a theatre pit with my inner ear monitors on, listening (in between playing) to the likes of...

[b]Prince Charming[/b] "Inform the Queen that I will await her presence at my camp."

[b]Nurse Nellie[/b] "I didn't know he was camp."

[b]Prince Charming[/b] "I'm not. I just walk with a slightly effeminate manner!"

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I went to see the McCartney show last week in Holland....He played for two hours and three quarters. His voice was excellent and he didn't make it easy on himself (Helter Skelter, Got to get you into my life, etc...).
The man is 67 years old and he was full of energy and the crowd went mad. I have seen him perform live five times and never am I disappointed cause the level of performance is that high.
His voice has changed but what do you expect when you're getting old ? A miracle ? He never sings out of tune and still makes people happy (last week : 29.000 people)
To me he has still more than enough reasons to be on a stage and more than anyone in the world.
Funny that someone from Belgium has to say something about a person you in the UK should be extremely proud of..

[quote name='wombatboter' post='684042' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:43 PM']I went to see the McCartney show last week in Holland....He played for two hours and three quarters. His voice was excellent and he didn't make it easy on himself (Helter Skelter, Got to get you into my life, etc...).
The man is 67 years old and he was full of energy and the crowd went mad. I have seen him perform live five times and never am I disappointed cause the level of performance is that high.
His voice has changed but what do you expect when you're getting old ? A miracle ? He never sings out of tune and still makes people happy (last week : 29.000 people)
To me he has still more than enough reasons to be on a stage and more than anyone in the world.
Funny that someone from Belgium has to say something about a person you in the UK should be extremely proud of..[/quote]
x2
The new live album is very good with a great bass sound.
67 and he can still play . :)

I saw McCartney a few years ago in Dublin and was astounded. The big thing that struck me was - ignore the lights, the stage show, the acrobats, the living legend onstage,etc - this was just five guys playing rock n' roll and LOVING it!!! And they played so damn well too.

I saw the X-Factor and thought the singing was sadly a little dodgy from everyone.

Fee or no fee, I think the fact that The Beatles Guitar Hero was just released and there's millions of teenagers (and nostalgic parents) watching the show might have had something to do with it. Sometimes the idea of a fee is laughable anyway - you're playing to millions of people via tv - can you imagine how much that air-time would cost to buy? For someone like McCartney it's win-win for him all round.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='684042' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:43 PM']I went to see the McCartney show last week in Holland....He played for two hours and three quarters. His voice was excellent and he didn't make it easy on himself (Helter Skelter, Got to get you into my life, etc...).
Funny that someone from Belgium has to say something about a person you in the UK should be extremely proud of..[/quote]
+3

The guy wrote some of the best songs of the 20th Century IMO and will probably be the only electric bass player remembered in 100 or 200 years time..

[quote name='MSL' post='683867' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:27 PM']Did anyone notice if his Hofner bass was plugged in? Couldn't see any evidence of a wireless set up. Must be imagining things.[/quote]

I`m sure I seen a wireless ariel on the right side of his rig as you look at him. I`m not really a big beatles fan but it wasn`t too bad.

And the old Ashdown pounding has returned again-how original. :)

Jez

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='684481' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:51 PM']+3

The guy wrote some of the best songs of the 20th Century IMO and will probably be the only electric bass player remembered in 100 or 200 years time..[/quote]

I'm certainly not going to argue with any of that......

I laughed my head off at a friend's status on Facebook last night. He was arguing about why such an amazing music icon should be on such a show that idolises karaoke and non-originality (his words not mine) when a young girl he obviously knows suddenly wrote:

[i]"Karaoke? Well Macca is no better. He got up and sang a Guns 'N' Roses song".[/i]

At first I thought it was sarcasm, until I read her responses when people tried to correct her.

Classic! :)

EDIT: Sorry corrected it to Guns 'N' Roses, rather than "and". I'm just not down with it!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='685026' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:08 PM']I laughed my head off at a friend's status on Facebook last night. He was arguing about why such an amazing music icon should be on such a show that idolises karaoke and non-originality (his words not mine) when a young girl he obviously knows suddenly wrote:

[i]"Karaoke? Well Macca is no better. He got up and sang a Guns 'N' Roses song".[/i]

At first I thought it was sarcasm, until I read her responses when people tried to correct her.

Classic! :)

EDIT: Sorry corrected it to Guns 'N' Roses, rather than "and". I'm just not down with it![/quote]

PMSL :rolleyes:

[quote name='MSL' post='683867' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:27 PM']Did anyone notice if his Hofner bass was plugged in? Couldn't see any evidence of a wireless set up. Must be imagining things.[/quote]

prob not pluged in, didnt see him on x factor but he looked to be faking playing bass at the children in need thing a couple of weeks back