Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger Fans?

chriswilliams666

I've just moved away from GK. I really liked the tone, sounded awesome but I could not resist the temptation of an Orange amp.

I'd happily get another GK though, I thought the build (Backline Series) wasn't perhaps the best (plastic jack sockets etc) but generally speaking I've nothing but positives to heap on the brand.

Cheers,
James

You should give the Artist series hads and RBH cabs a go for the real GK tone. But glad to hear you had a good experiance.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='680785' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:01 PM']I've just moved away from GK. I really liked the tone, sounded awesome but I could not resist the temptation of an Orange amp.

I'd happily get another GK though, I thought the build (Backline Series) wasn't perhaps the best (plastic jack sockets etc) but generally speaking I've nothing but positives to heap on the brand.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

I've used a few and been really impressed. More recently used a 700RB with my double bass and was very happy with the sound. It has filters or contour or something which I could set to keep all the nasty low frequencey feedback at bay.

If I ever need a big rig again I'll definitely look at them.

Edited by ardi100

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='680777' date='Dec 10 2009, 10:56 PM']Hey guys.

Just wondering if there are any fans of GK out there like me? If so, what have you got and why?[/quote]
Just got a 400RB ('87 I believe) off ebay yesterday .. tried it last night .. quite impressed so far .. will let you know after next rehearsal etc ...

Si

Yep, I'm suitably impressed with my GK (see siggie) - have been gigging with it for the last few months, and it's even been into the recording studio in September. Safe to say the recording engineers were mighty impressed with it. Got some positive comments at the SE Bass Bash in October as well (which was nice :))

Out again with it Sunday morning and evening at my local church (yep, I'm lugging my 4x10 [i]and[/i] my PA gear there :rolleyes: )

Very happy with the service I got at Bass Merchant when I went to audition some heads (went up against a Shuttle 3.0 and an LM3)

Micro heads are the way forward!

Ta, Ian

Love GK amps - got a couple of them. 700 RB-11 and a 'vintage' 800RB.

The 700 is my main gigging amp which I've had for over two years with no problems whatsoever.
Its loud & sounds very 'musical' through a variety of cabinets. Its got great tone controls along with the boost facility
which gives a nice bit of growl too.
It is also a very manageable 16.5 lbs in a 2 rack space,so whilst not in the Markbass league still makes it an easy carry-in.

The 800 is just sublime, my fave amp head other than an SVT which I've always regretted selling.
It sounds very similar to the 700, just that bit more old school-y perhaps. Again,works well with most cabs-last night it was running
a 2x15 EV cab and really pumped the sound out great. Not quite as loud/versatile as the 700,but enough for a non-twiddler like me.

The guy who services my gear isn't a massive fan of GK stuff-says they are nothing special in the build dept, and I have to agree with previous
post re the dislike of plastic jack sockets which I believe is across the range (?). However, I've had no reliabilty probs with either amp over
the last few years, and think that the design of their stuff just works whatever!

Cheers.

I have a 700RB 15" combo. I like it, but must admit its the only decent bass amp I've ever tried.

The tweeter stopped working a few months ago - doesn't affect my use because I go for a deep Motown thud when I play, but would be nice to get it sorted. Anyone know any decent techs in North or West Yorkshire? Not sure whether its the tweeter or that part of the amp thats at fault - I had a look at the wiring and it looked solid.

Martin

I've always liked GK's tone. Rather growly and I have played quite a few GK's. Playing a 2001RB was just brutal with an 8x10. You could level small buildings with it. The only thing that put me off them is the backwards way the knobs are (treble to bass from left to right). It's probably I'm just being pedantic but it really is off putting for some strange, unfathomable reason that I can't figure. Maybe because we read left to right not right to left.

Still, they're fantastic amps. The 800RB is a brillaint amp.

I'm very impressed with my recently-acquired 1001RB-II. I gigged it back-to-back with my Barefaced Compact last night and Friday, and was loving the tone with my Jazz Bass! A great sound that sits well in the mix without lots of tweaking, and LOTS of power to put it out there! In fact, it sounds superb with all of my basses- my Sansamp BDDI and VT Bass haven't seen much action since the G-K arrived! Just wish I'd tried this amp out sooner... :)