Why become a member? ×

Volume Control!

Happy Jack

Big discussion in my band at the moment about volume levels and settings, not helped by the fact that I think the guitarists use their controls / pedals / amps in a fundamentally different way to me.

Mutual incomprehension. :)

Interested to find out whether I'm as far off-target as they seem to think I am.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='658506' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:22 PM']Big discussion in my band at the moment about volume levels and settings, not helped by the fact that I think the guitarists use their controls / pedals / amps in a fundamentally different way to me.[/quote]

I could be wrong but that may have something to do with the fact that the volume pot dictates the amount of gain driving the front end of the amp, which for a guitarist means that if they roll off the volume pot they have less overdrive or distortion. It actually doesn't have that much effect on the db volume when running into a high-gain channel until below 5 or so, whereas on a bass the volume pot acts more like a master volume (unless you're also using gain breakup effects).

I'm glad someones posted this. Andy Viccars (well respected local luthier and bass player) always reckons you should roll the volume on the pickup back a bit to find it's sweet spot. I usually have mine full on but do roll it back occasionally for quieter passages - but I'm interested - DOES volume level affect the tone?

I have both of mine slightly rolled off my my Jazz bass as the pups sound nicer like that, it's normally around 75%/95% forward/back split, with my Aerodyne I have to roll off the p-pup otherwise it just overrides the j-pup. T-Bird is similar to the Jazz.

Mostly on full as the envelope filter works better when used if there is a hotter signal going in. I used to have is rolled back slightly, but there's no difference soundwise. Only time I turn it is when I want no sound & it goes right down. An on/off switch would be better.