Why become a member? ×

Do you stare at your neck?

skankdelvar

So you're tearing up the boards, the band's hot and the audience is going wild.

Or maybe not. All a bit tepid, really. Punters a bit....flat?

Looking at the gig photos the next day, you're struck by the fact that the [i]only[/i] person looking at the audience is your tiny, bouffant-haired front-man. Everyone else is staring fixedly at their instruments, tongue poking out like a dim child learning his catechisms. And that's pretty much the case for the whole set.

Me, I'm trying to force myself to look [i]up[/i] and [i]out[/i] more than I do. I think it's definitely got to help.

So, do you stare purposefully out at the assembled throng, catching peoples' eyes and acknowledging their presence. Or do you give it the Jazzbo Hunch* and pretend they are't there?

* [i][size=1] (This egregious swipe at the Jazz community does not necessarily represent the views of SkankCom, its employees, shareholders or associates and in no way suggests that adherents of the Jazz genre are deficient in any attribute which may be considered to be entirely commercially, culturally or socially beneficial).[/size][/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

A bit of both really. I used to try to come across as cool and arrogant as this was always the sort of persona I admired in my youth. After hundreds and hundreds of gigs I have something that is relaxed and natural now. I do think it is all about performance onstage - both as a musician and as an entertainer.

[quote name='leschirons' post='637873' date='Oct 27 2009, 01:35 PM']I do 90% of lead vocals in one band and 50% in the other so I need to be looking out, straight ahead at the punters.[/quote]

Ah, but what do you do the other 10% and 50% of the time? Are you a dot-ogler?

I dont really know. I hope that the audience will appreciate the sounds coming from the bass rather than what I look like. I suppose that I do try and looka t the audience, but it's all about confidence. if you don't have confidence, then you will end up staring at the neck, and the crowd will latch onto it (they all have psycic abilities to see if we're nervous) and not join in as much as if you are doing backflips, swinging the bass around your neck

[quote name='davidmpires' post='637846' date='Oct 27 2009, 01:17 PM']I try and connect with the audience alot by looking at them. Smilling singing along, but I play with my eyes shut a lot too... I don't tend to stare at the fretboard that much unless I'm doing a big jump.[/quote]

Very similar thing here. I have my eyed closed for probably 75% - 80% of the time on a gig, and only look at the neck if it is very intricate or I have a large jump in position to make.

[quote name='lowdown' post='638004' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:10 PM']So no one stares at girl singers ar#es then?

Garry[/quote]

Hmmm we have three in our band, and all lovely they are too, the girls I mean. Not saying any more incase I talk myself into a bigger hole :)

[quote name='lowdown' post='638004' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:10 PM']So no one stares at girl singers ar#es then?[/quote]
Our singer is a bald 46 year old Brummy - really don't want to stare at his @rse (see below)

Also I have a terrible habit while staring at neck of Jimmy Page-style pouting (also in photo). For this alone I should try to look at audience more

[attachment=35249:kismetik4.jpg]

Been round this one a few times so you'll not be surprised to hear me go on again.

It's a [i]performance[/i].

You have to be entertaining. Yes, you, the bass player. Not just the front person and lead guitarist..

You have to entertain the people or they won't come and see your band.

The people here commenting about no audience may like to try performing a bit more. If the audience is not looking at your band your front person is probably not doing their job and nor are you.

Playing the right notes is about 40% of your job. Looking cool, 20%; Looking like you are having a good time and communicating that to the audience 50% and performing is 100%

How many times do punters go home and tell their mates "hey this band I saw last night were really moody and introspective but all of the bass notes were right" and how many times do they tell their mates "hey this band I saw last night were great. Really entertaining! Come and see them next time."

So .....

Lift up your head. Practice 'til you can play a lot of your set with your eyes closed (but for goodness sake don't do [i]that[/i] on stage) then rehearse playing without looking at your neck. Yup, [i]rehearse[/i] that, in a rehearsal studio, just like your rehearse the lead breaks. It's[i] MORE[/i] important than the lead breaks. No, really, it is.

If you guitarist/lead vocals complains tell him/her you need to rehearse this bit to support him... That should do it.
5 people entertaining the audience is a lot better than one doing it.
Work out routines if you need to.

Hints and tips: look at something [i]just[/i] above the head of the punters. "Exit sign gazing" is a well warn phrase but it works. Don't stare at the telly or the ceiling. You'll look stupid :)

Find a friendly person and smile at them a bit - don't overdo it unless you know them. A boyfriend's fist in the face can often offend ... Look at no one and smile at them a bit. Everyone else in teh room will think you know someone and - goodness, someone came back to see them again!
See Robbie Williams do that last week on teh Electric proms? Did you see anyone he was smiling at? No but you imagine that person don't you.

Scan the tops of the audience's heads. They will feel it is like eye contact (which is what works best) even though it's not.

Also stick your bass neck out towards the audience. Then you can just raise your eyes a little to see the audience's faces..

Always [i]perform to the audience [/i]and not your drummer (you can do this a bit but only once you've mastered performing to the audience skillz)

And slowly the word will get around that you are an entertaining band.......

Edited by OldGit