Why become a member? ×

Do you stare at your neck?

skankdelvar

I'm pretty green when it comes to public performance, but I'm trying really hard to lift my eyes off the neck. In my first gig (which I was barely prepared for) I made sure I knew one song really well and looked up quite a lot and moved around a bit, but it was pretty much head down after the first few songs. With the band I'm in just now, I'm trying not to look at the bass when I'm practising solo, looking up/around the room in the rehearsal room and hopefully that's transferring on stage. I can't verify that though, because I can barely remember being on stage because of the adrenaline!

My wife keeps me right, and I always try to look for her if she's at the gig - a guaranteed friendly, supportive face.

I am also fairly new to gigging and performing live. I have found that as I get more proficient and also more relaxed I have the confidence to to look up a lot more these days and this now adds more to the enjoyment of being up there doing it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='638028' date='Oct 27 2009, 03:27 PM']Been round this one a few times so you'll not be surprised to hear me go on again.

It's a [i]performance[/i].

You have to be entertaining. Yes, you, the bass player. Not just the front person and lead guitarist..

You have to entertain the people or they won't come and see your band.

The people here commenting about no audience may like to try performing a bit more. If the audience is not looking at your band your front person is probably not doing their job and nor are you.

Playing the right notes is about 40% of your job. Looking cool, 20%; Looking like you are having a good time and communicating that to the audience 50% and performing is 100%

How many times do punters go home and tell their mates "hey this band I saw last night were really moody and introspective but all of the bass notes were right" and how many times do they tell their mates "hey this band I saw last night were great. Really entertaining! Come and see them next time."

So .....

Lift up your head. Practice 'til you can play a lot of your set with your eyes closed (but for goodness sake don't do [i]that[/i] on stage) then rehearse playing without looking at your neck. Yup, [i]rehearse[/i] that, in a rehearsal studio, just like your rehearse the lead breaks. It's[i] MORE[/i] important than the lead breaks. No, really, it is.

If you guitarist/lead vocals complains tell him/her you need to rehearse this bit to support him... That should do it.
5 people entertaining the audience is a lot better than one doing it.
Work out routines if you need to.

Hints and tips: look at something [i]just[/i] above the head of the punters. "Exit sign gazing" is a well warn phrase but it works. Don't stare at the telly or the ceiling. You'll look stupid :)

Find a friendly person and smile at them a bit - don't overdo it unless you know them. A boyfriend's fist in the face can often offend ... Look at no one and smile at them a bit. Everyone else in teh room will think you know someone and - goodness, someone came back to see them again!
See Robbie Williams do that last week on teh Electric proms? Did you see anyone he was smiling at? No but you imagine that person don't you.

Scan the tops of the audience's heads. They will feel it is like eye contact (which is what works best) even though it's not.

Also stick your bass neck out towards the audience. Then you can just raise your eyes a little to see the audience's faces..

Always [i]perform to the audience [/i]and not your drummer (you can do this a bit but only once you've mastered performing to the audience skillz)

And slowly the word will get around that you are an entertaining band.......[/quote]

What's wrong about closing your eyes during a cool moment of the song??

[quote name='davidmpires' post='638142' date='Oct 27 2009, 04:38 PM']What's wrong about closing your eyes during a cool moment of the song??[/quote]

Absolutely nothing if it's appropriate ..
I was talking in generalisations.

Try not to nod off though :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Protium' post='638188' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:18 PM']Why is my job 210%?[/quote]

Because you are the bass player and you have to work at least 2.1 times harder than the lead vocalist or lead guitarist to entertain people.
The first 100% is just getting noticed :)

Agree on the entertainment part up to a point but it does depend on the occasion and style of music too. I've come away from plenty of pub gigs being slightly embarassed by overactive looning - sometimes less really is more. I also feel that most (not all) really good bands have a single identifyable focal point, usually the singer but not always so. Some covers bands I've seen might have 2 or 3 people in the band interchangeing doing lead vocals and it can be quite distracting and never as effective as an out and out 'front man'. All personal opinion of course.

[quote name='KevB' post='638205' date='Oct 27 2009, 05:30 PM']Agree on the entertainment part up to a point but it does depend on the occasion and style of music too. I've come away from plenty of pub gigs being slightly embarassed by overactive looning - sometimes less really is more. I also feel that most (not all) really good bands have a single identifyable focal point, usually the singer but not always so. Some covers bands I've seen might have 2 or 3 people in the band interchangeing doing lead vocals and it can be quite distracting and never as effective as an out and out 'front man'. All personal opinion of course.[/quote]

Sure Teh classic example is the Who
With Moon, Townshend and Daltry all going bananas, Entwhistle standing still and playing was a statement all by itself. He even looks at the neck :)
But then again he did wear white suits...

IF you have a great front person you can probably strip naked and wear a sock on your A tuner and still not get noticed.. Most of us don't have the luxury of a top class front person (expecially if tumbleweed is a normal occurrance) so a bit of communication with the audience will help all round.

Of course if you have three totty trumpets, two women totty singers, a totty bloke singer and a totty lead guitarist as your front line then you are let off the hook, Rich..

I do tend to do both. However, we're a three-piece and I sing BVs, so I have little choice but to engage with the audience to some extent, and that's good, because of all what Oldgit said.
My natural style, however, is neck gazing. To some extent, that's because I'm so happy to be able to do this, and I LIKE seeing myself doing it, as it were...
Cripes, I'm even doing it over there <<<
:)

Edited by Telebass

I spend about 40% of our set singing , the other 40% I try not to be looking down too much , I think I'd do it less if I changed basses less.. Often I pick on a fire exit sign to look at or something similar. I'm not big on direct eye contact. There's always some pissed knuckle dragger won't like it if you stare at him or his bird.

On occassion we get gigs where the punters aren't interested. Being a superior sort of soul I give it my best for a set and a half then switch off and treat them with with the same disinterest. I go almost 100% head down then.

I find to make it look like your not just staring at your neck; read the whats on the bottles behind the bar if you can...
gives people the impression that your looking towards someone at the back when all your doing is deciding what your having when youve finished lol
Thankfully on my jazz i can play alot of things without looking at the neck all of the time, this is just because im so used to it....any other bass however, even another jazz i cant seem to do the same on :)

I'm bit of a natural showoff so I love interacting with the audience. I look at the neck only when I absolutely have to pull off something tricky or a big change in hand position.
I'm not as accurate a player live as I am elsewhere but the tradeoff is definitely worth it. I've had musicians I really respect come up to me after gigs and say words to the effect of "Awesome bass play mate, you were amazing" - eh? Who were you listening to - I cocked up an absolute ton! But the deception is the trick of it. With enough sweat, gurning, dancing and tomfoolery the bum notes go in one ear and right out the other, and all they remember is a great show.

While in practice I tend to dance around like the same as I do playing the gig. It gets me used to playing (fairly) accurately while doing all the stuff I'm going to be doing live.
It's also great cardio training. After lugging the kit in and setting up, then having the lights slow-roasting me while headbanging around, playing my heart out, and finding the breath to sing backup it's physically demanding. No point wanting to do all that and not having the fitness to pull it off - or not be able to play at the same time.

I've been trying put more effort in to my 'performance' recently and to try interact more with the audience much more.

I got some (very rare) female attention on Saturday at a 21st birthday party. She was a very nice twenty-something and I'm 36, going grey and rather married but at least it looks like my efforts are working :)

[quote name='darwin' post='638345' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:17 PM']I've been trying put more effort in to my 'performance' recently and to try interact more with the audience much more.

I got some (very rare) female attention on Saturday at a 21st birthday party. She was a very nice twenty-something and I'm 36, going grey and rather married but at least it looks like my efforts are working :rolleyes:[/quote]

If she has a thing for bass players... Send her my way mate! :)

[quote name='NickH' post='638342' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:12 PM']I'm bit of a natural showoff so I love interacting with the audience. I look at the neck only when I absolutely have to pull off something tricky or a big change in hand position.
I'm not as accurate a player live as I am elsewhere but the tradeoff is definitely worth it. I've had musicians I really respect come up to me after gigs and say words to the effect of "Awesome bass play mate, you were amazing" - eh? Who were you listening to - I cocked up an absolute ton! But the deception is the trick of it. With enough sweat, gurning, dancing and tomfoolery the bum notes go in one ear and right out the other, and all they remember is a great show.

While in practice I tend to dance around like the same as I do playing the gig. It gets me used to playing (fairly) accurately while doing all the stuff I'm going to be doing live.
It's also great cardio training. After lugging the kit in and setting up, then having the lights slow-roasting me while headbanging around, playing my heart out, and finding the breath to sing backup it's physically demanding. No point wanting to do all that and not having the fitness to pull it off - or not be able to play at the same time.[/quote]

Well put!

So many bands forget to rehearse the show bits as well as the music

I'm the frontman, so I have no choice when I'm singing-I generally fix on something at the back of the room, and sing to that, with occasional glances at the fretboard to make sure I'm in the right place. On instrumental sections I look up as much as possible, looking at the fretboard for more complicated bits.

Edited by Deep Thought

The last time I took my eye off the ball, so to speak, was because a pleasingly proportioned woman in a very tight, short black sequinned dress had appeared dancing in the front row. At the end of the gig our keyboard player asked why I had "played the same note for about sixteen bars at the end of 'Northern Song'"

The two things may well have been related.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='638618' date='Oct 27 2009, 11:20 PM']How about wearing shades and pointing the neck at the audience?
maybe?[/quote]

Shades look great on [s]top of the pops[/s] er whatever but on stage you need eye contact with other members of the band, especially if you are a less experienced / no show / no audience type band ... Can't do that with shades on ..

OR

Option B: rehearse with shades on so you can work out non-visual cues ..