Why become a member? ×

Completely wicked drumming

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='629847' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:16 PM']Sorry to be so obvious but........

[b] John bonham [/b]

There, someone had to say it![/quote]

agreed, so many rock drummers lack the groove that he puts into every song.

my favs at the moment are dave turnkrantz from russian circles and chris common from these arms are snakes (and yes, i know they share a bassist).

[quote name='RhysP' post='629510' date='Oct 18 2009, 03:04 PM']Bill Bruford.
Danny Carey.
Gavin Harrison.
Simon Phillips.
Jeff Pocaro.
David Francolini.
And a thousand others.

I love listening to great drummers - I'd far rather hear a drum solo than a bass solo.[/quote]

David Fracnolini - good call!!

I loved the stuff he did with Darkstar, especially[url="http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3a%6ffficial&client=firefox-a&q=youtube+dark+star&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1kPcSpbMBo2y4QbL_M31Bg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBEQqwQwAA#q=youtube+darkstar+Graceidelica&emb=0&client=firefox-a"] Graceidelica[/url]. I love the bit at 17 seconds in where the drum intro pauses for a beat and then just thumps back in

Stewart Copeland's drumming gives me goosebumps.

A friend of mine was driving Stewart Copeland and Bill Bruford one night after they had played a show together in Brighton. Bill was dropped off at Gatwick and my friend then had to carry on with Stewart to Heathrow. Copeland talked and talked to my friend and at some point he managed to ask SC who he thought were the greatest rock drummers (SC had already listed all the Jazz, Latin and Big Band greats) and Copeland said, the man who just got out at Gatwick and Charlie Watts. On being asked about Keith Moon, apparently Copeland was very non-commital and didn't seem to have much to say (must have been a first)!

Edited by Sean

[quote name='silddx' post='630332' date='Oct 19 2009, 01:26 PM']Me too, he is my favourite drummer by quite a distance.[/quote]

Oh yeah. He's the dogs. Always loved Copeland. He seems to have a certain feel that nobody else can copy.

Remember seeing footage of him at a drum clinic. He said "I'm going to do something now that hardly any drummers can do". Of course, everybody was on the edge of their seat expecting some pyrotechnics. He just sat there for 15 minutes playing a straight 4 without deviating. No fills, no movement in tempo nothing.

A great point well made.

Another guy who I love is Steve Gadd. Nobody can nail 50 ways like he...

[quote name='xgsjx' post='632910' date='Oct 21 2009, 10:12 PM']I think this kid is amazing.

[/quote]
That is wickid! Beautiful sounding snare, the whole kit sounds ace though. Great player, I love that style.

Kinda reminds me of this, which has been a favourite of mine for quite a while ..

I just love any drummer (and come to think of it,musician!) who can nail a straight groove that totally complements the song, without endlessly showing off their 'technique'.
Amazing how many players who are technically proficient just don't know how to do this without ruining the whole song/drowning out the vocal etc etc.
In my view, 'simple' is usually the best option,and has the effect of making occasional fills/accents all the more effective.

Masters of this for me are:-

Charlie Watts
Max Weinberg (E Street Band)
Steve Ferrone (AWB etc)