Why become a member? ×

favourite coloured basses

blazer3

[quote name='blazer3' post='619164' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:46 PM']I"ve just been online looking at basses and found a shedload of different colours.
What is everyones idea of a nice colour for a bass and is there any colours you would stay away from.

Personally i hate the colour black, its boring and looks awful, i also cant stand black or white(brilliant white that is ).

My ideal colour would be "wine red" with an antique white pickguard and all maple neck.

Be interesting to know what other people think[/quote]

I can't stand colours, or wood finishes. I find wine red to be the one I hate most, to me it looks so dowdy.

For me, fretted basses should be black, fretless should be white. But I'm flexible on that :rolleyes: I always use black strings too.

I am the complete opposite of you aren't I :)

I think it completelt depends on the neck wood and the scratchplate etc. I'd agree with not liking black but then when I see an all black jazz with the block inlays and ashtray covers it looks the buisness.

Personally my money is on a walnut P-bass. I'd love one. I reserve the right to prefer something else next week.

Even though im only 28, (only he says!) I really like the classics:

Sunburst
Olympic White, (and the really aged white)
Natural (more so when I was younger)
Black

I have yet to own surf green/sonic light blue....but I really like these colours.

Tort Plates....now we are talking.

I do not like:

Red
Gothic all black basses
Ridiculous over the top colour schemes

Im glad we all like different colours. It would be drab if we all liked the same.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='619748' date='Oct 7 2009, 04:59 PM']Im glad we all like different colours. It would be drab if we all liked the same.[/quote]

It would be easier to sell basses on here if we did though ;-)

Thinking about it i have to admit i would go for the overall look of a bass rather than just the body colour.
A lot of basses that ive brought in the past seem to come with plain whit scratch plates. I always change them and find the bass looks much better
I wonder how many basses ive past on because of this

Personally I like the natural wood look, but then I like Sunburst as well, although some look crap. Never liked Purple either until I bought a Tune.

[attachment=34148:More_bass_002.jpg] [attachment=34149:More_bass_001.jpg]

[attachment=34150:More_bass_004.jpg] [attachment=34151:Copy_of_...2_edited.JPG]

I personally love Ocean Blue stained basses, i had a Streamer LX in high polish ocean blue and it looked beautiful, i bought my first bass solely on its colour, it was a Peavey Dyna EXP and it was in a Dark Cherry Stain over a flamed maple cap with matching head stock, it looked the business, now i go for natural wood finishes as i'm a wood working guy, i don't think i'd ever want anything with a solid body colour or in black, except maybe a white Streamer like Lex's Casper.

[quote name='blazer3' post='619164' date='Oct 6 2009, 11:46 PM']I"ve just been online looking at basses and found a shedload of different colours.
What is everyones idea of a nice colour for a bass and is there any colours you would stay away from.

Personally i hate the colour black, its boring and looks awful, i also cant stand black or white(brilliant white that is ).

My ideal colour would be "wine red" with an antique white pickguard and all maple neck.

Be interesting to know what other people think[/quote]

white
off white
natural but not glossy
sunburst in the reddy shade

[url="http://img66.imageshack.us/i/71953103.jpg/"][/url]

as in my shuker 51P special

I Hate sunburst, Candy Apple Red & black finishes (unless it's an all black Precision with a maple neck, which looks cool as f***).
I like pretty much everything else - I like seeing the lesser used colours like purple, green & blue. I also love most of the Fender custom colours, especially Burgundy Mist.