Why become a member? ×

Is there a bass line that you just couldnt do?

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='66433' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:37 PM']Call me a prude (I'm not), but IMO that's inappropriate - smilies or no smilies.

Mark[/quote]

:) aww come on, it was an expression my grandmother used to use.... whats the problem?
'a schoolboys wallet'?!.... hardly a substitute.... 'tight as a ducks arse' perhaps....

....but no offence intended

Rio - Duran Duran (hides head in shame). Never got close to the break.

Also, don't know why but, Daytripper - no problem at the root but never been able to keep it straight at the octave....funny I've watched lots of conver bands play it the same way as me but not like Macca.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='66600' date='Sep 27 2007, 08:16 PM']:) aww come on, it was an expression my grandmother used to use.... whats the problem?
'a schoolboys wallet'?!.... hardly a substitute.... 'tight as a ducks arse' perhaps....

....but no offence intended[/quote]

I wasn't offended Bottomfeed, and I'm pretty sure everyone else (and I) knows you didn't mean to offend.

I just thought it was inappropriate - we live in different times to those of your grandmother's.

IMO, duck's arse would indeed have been better.

Or tighter than a fish's arse?

Or tighter than a gnat's chuff?

Or tighter than a Kerry OAP with his confirmation money?

I don't think less of you nor do I judge you - I just thought it was inappropriate.

Peace. :huh:

Anyway, back OT - I struggled to play some of the simpler songs in our set-list at rehearsal last night - go figure.

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='66428' date='Sep 27 2007, 02:32 PM']Just one? :)

The ones I [i]can[/i] play are in my band's set-list . . . :huh:

Can't but would dearly love to?

YYZ - Geddy
Teen Town - Jaco
Havona - Jaco
I Need More Love - Robert Randolph Band
Lucretia McEvil - Blood, Sweat & Tears
Mr Pink by Level 42

So many more...

Mark[/quote]

I Need More Love - Robert Randolph Band - I managed to nail this track in the end... (if you find tracks like this hard to do, play it to a metronome... start slow, build the speed slowly - and I promise you will get there.... assuming your technique is sound) however, what I can't do is do the falsetto vocal that the dude does whilst playing it! Check it out on YouTube... He's mental!

Mr Pink by Level 42 - tell me about it. Currently learning this... I'm about 80% of the way there. I would dearly love a backing track though. Anybody know where I could get one?

Jaco's stuff is always stuff I am afraid to try. It's like those songs you should never cover...

Good luck to everybody learning stuff... stick with it and you'll get there!

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='66734' date='Sep 28 2007, 09:06 AM']I wasn't offended Bottomfeed, and I'm pretty sure everyone else (and I) knows you didn't mean to offend.

I just thought it was inappropriate - we live in different times to those of your grandmother's.

IMO, duck's arse would indeed have been better.

Or tighter than a fish's arse?

Or tighter than a gnat's chuff?

Or tighter than a Kerry OAP with his confirmation money?

I don't think less of you nor do I judge you - I just thought it was inappropriate.

Peace. :)
Anyway, back OT - I struggled to play some of the simpler songs in our set-list at rehearsal last night - go figure.

Mark[/quote]

lol.. maybe next time I'll try to think of a funnier substitute.. I'm cool if your cool.

I remember when I started about 3 years ago that Hysteria was the Holy Grail and I couldn't play it for ages, then suddenly it became a piece of piss. There are some that I'll probably never master because I have a shoddy technique (no lessons, so I have loads of bad habits, wrong fingers etc)

Rush - YYZ
Dream Theater - YTSE Jam (solo is too damn fast, and I struggle with other bits)
Metallica - Pulling Teeth (can play Master of Puppets, well very nearly)
Primus - Everything!
RHCP - Coffee shop (can play a slightly simplified version, with less ghost/dead notes, but can't nail the final solo)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='66268' date='Sep 27 2007, 07:02 AM']we've (bizarrely) been asked to do a wedding in November and have to learn some covers. I'm struggling with going underground by the Jam and have resorted to winging it now - I've only spent about 5 hours on it and it's not bad, but I can't get the rhythms spot on - it shifts between 3/4, 4/4 and 5/4[/quote]

Break it down ito sections.....learn each individually,then just piece it together.

"Down in a tube station at midnight" is harder,and Eton rifles is a stamina test.

[quote name='fleamail' post='66287' date='Sep 27 2007, 09:30 AM']Jaco!

You can never come close to his tunes[/quote]....WRONG!...Whilst in no way comparing myself with 'God'...i think I've been pretty close to many of his tunes [in my yoof!]...I think if you listen to someone long enough and try to get inside that persons' head, then assuming you have the talent in the first place,what comes out will inevitably sound
similar...Must admit though,Could never play Havona at tempo!.......Like to bet that Laurence Cottle could do a pretty mean impersonation..

[quote name='E_MaN' post='66660' date='Sep 27 2007, 10:45 PM']I put down yyz perfectly twice but never done it again ever...I hate that song now....[/quote]
This comment exemplifies why I try not to ruin (difficult) songs that I love by spending ages trying to learn them. It can rob them of the Magic.
If I listen to something and have a "lightbulb moment", I may attempt it, but otherwise.. No.

I've solved Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai in that manner , and Selling Jesus (Skunk Anansie) also.
There's lots of tunes I can't play, but lack of time, inability/unwillingness to slap and unwillingness to de-tune/re-tune are the main reasons.
I'm lucky if I can get through a single song uninterrupted (by other people) these days!

[quote name='Bidd' post='67019' date='Sep 28 2007, 05:09 PM']I remember when I started about 3 years ago that Hysteria was the Holy Grail and I couldn't play it for ages, then suddenly it became a piece of piss.[/quote]

I'm glad to here that: That it became a piece of piss. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally be interested in playing, but it seems I've got till the 8th December to learn it! My 11 year old is drumming for it in a concert put on by his drum teacher, and I've been volunteered to play bass for him. His teacher (who also teaches bass) says that its not so much difficult as relentless. From where I'm standing it sounds both difficult and relentless!!

Having cracked it, do you have any hints for someone who's still at the stage of listening to it to get the feel of it into my head?

Clive.

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='68119' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:25 PM']I'm glad to here that: That it became a piece of piss. It's not the sort of thing I'd normally be interested in playing, but it seems I've got till the 8th December to learn it! My 11 year old is drumming for it in a concert put on by his drum teacher, and I've been volunteered to play bass for him. His teacher (who also teaches bass) says that its not so much difficult as relentless. From where I'm standing it sounds both difficult and relentless!!

Having cracked it, do you have any hints for someone who's still at the stage of listening to it to get the feel of it into my head?

Clive.[/quote]

To be honest, I just gave up initially, and ended up learning other Muse songs that were easier to play and various other chart stuff at the time like Arctoc Monkeys, Bloc Party, Foo Fighters etc (not challenging I know, but my mates play guitar to those songs.) About 6 months later I revisited it and found that my finger strength and speed had gone up quite a bit, and after studying a good tab for a few minutes I cracked it.

To get the feel of Hysteria I would recommend learning similar Muse stuff like Citizen Erased & New Born (Origin Of Symmetry album), and maybe the recent Starlight & Supermassive Black Hole

[quote name='JJTee' post='68093' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:50 PM']Everybody Dance - Chic. Who can honestly nail that ludicrous intro?![/quote]
I can! And the fast octaves near the end as well. One of the early instruction videos I got was Nathan East and ever since I have always practiced cross string octave runs.

Sorry, that makes me sound like I'm being a smart Rse. :)

I love that song but don't have a band that I would be able to do it with out of the 3 that I'm in. "What is Hip?" by TOP is kind of similar with the fast cross string octaves.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='66268' date='Sep 27 2007, 06:02 AM']we've (bizarrely) been asked to do a wedding in November and have to learn some covers. I'm struggling with going underground by the Jam and have resorted to winging it now - I've only spent about 5 hours on it and it's not bad, but I can't get the rhythms spot on - it shifts between 3/4, 4/4 and 5/4[/quote]

I struggled for ages with that one, when you finally nail it there's no better feeling. you wonder what all fuss was about.