Why become a member? ×

Flea - Is he the best bass player?

TMB

No, but he IS an awesome bassist. At the moment my favourite is Richard Bona, he is just brilliant, and a voice to match as well!

I think I'm secretly waiting for a Top Trumps 'Bassists Edition'. Maybe it would be easier to make them myself, although I'm not sure what the categories would be. waist size would have to be one of them, along with weight of backline.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568753' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:37 AM']If you asked [b]the general public [/b]most of them wouldn't even know that Macca played bass.
Alex[/quote]

Infact they would think Bass is some kind of fish they ate in Málaga on holiday.

Garry

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='568732' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:15 AM']For the general public, I reckon Flea could be regarded as the 'best' bass player.

(I reckon he's got more people started playing bass than Jacob Jazzstoryface...)[/quote]

I got started because I loved the doors and really wanted to play some of their songs. wasnt till after I got my first bass I realised the Doors didnt have a bassist (well they hd a session bassist on a few tracks but not many, Peace frog is the only one that comes to mind)

Flea is my fav bassist, but I wouldnt say hes the best in the world.
Definately influnced my playing a lot more then say Jaco or Bootsy.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='568863' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:57 AM']Nah, Pete Way`s your man for chemicals.

Jez[/quote]

Given your profile pic, I'd have thought you'd have gone for Phil Lesh.

p.s. There is no 'best bassist' but if there was he/she would have to be a good allrounder which Flea never seems to be.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='568980' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:18 PM']Flea is a bell-end who needs to grow and stop jumping about like a 14 year old.[/quote]

Yeah, he needs to stand still and play nothing of any interest at all like Guigsy. :) Although Guigsy had good taste in footy teams...

[quote name='4000' post='569431' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:09 PM']Yeah, he needs to stand still and play nothing of any interest at all like Guigsy. :) Although Guigsy had good taste in footy teams...[/quote]

Guigsy needs some sort of a prize for putting possibly the most pointless basslines ever recorded onto a couple of extremely successful and actually rather good albums. Their only redeeming feature is that they're thoroughly lost in the mix - but for lesson in how not to play bass find the isolated tracks on youtube.

Alex