Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='BassBod' post='569790' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:02 AM']Just a quickie.....but the Clarus (III) worked splendidly with the Compact on a liitle jazzz gig....I'll report in detail in few days[/quote]

Glad to hear it! It's only one negative experience with the Clarus and UL502 I was referring to so maybe I shouldn't write off those pairings just yet (I can't see why it would be a problem either, the impedance curve actually makes Class D amps run even more efficiently as they recycle the back EMF - unlike low power transformer coupled valve amps which run into an impedance matching problem which explains their fussiness).

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='569906' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:42 PM']Glad to hear it! It's only one negative experience with the Clarus and UL502 I was referring to so maybe I shouldn't write off those pairings just yet (I can't see why it would be a problem either, the impedance curve actually makes Class D amps run even more efficiently as they recycle the back EMF - unlike low power transformer coupled valve amps which run into an impedance matching problem which explains their fussiness).

Alex[/quote]
Interesting. This is good to hear as I plan on using a Compact with an AI Focus. Can't wait :)

Just received the Compact for my trial period.
Am using it with a Gallien Krueger 700RB11 head and a Musicman Sterling bass.

Used it last night in a small club with my band. Lineup is voc/guit/keys/trpt/tnr sax/drums and bass, doing covers of all sorts.
The stage was tiny (especially for 7 fat lads), so I was crammed in a corner next to the (incredibly loud)drummer.
Initial impressions very favourable. After altering my eq settings (usually use a 4x10) around a bit, ended up with a good rounded
sound with a surprising amount of lower mids too. Cab performed effortlessly throughout 2x60 min sets, remaing clear and loud.
Had to run my amp slightly up on the master vol to my 'normal' setting (my usual cab is 4 ohm,so guess thats why?), but still had plenty left.
All the band were amazed at the performance of something so compact and light.

Although not ideal testing situation, certainly has made me think it would be able to cope with most of my gigs okay. And how good to be able to walk into the gig with my amp in one hand and speaker in the other,both weighing nearly the same! So important to me following an arm injury which has left me difficulties with handling heavy cabs. Am going to be seriously considering putting an order in.

Will report back from any other gigs before reluctantly passing on to the next guy on the list - Finbar in S.Yorks.
Great idea for getting the cabs heard Alex - good luck with your business mate, and thank you.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='571716' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:52 PM']That's what your guitarist told me. :lol:

Alex[/quote]

Oh I see. He is afraid to fly. That may be why. :rolleyes:

Oh new band reharsals tonight and I'll have to use the studios gear didn't have time pick my beloved compact. That sucks. :)

Some first impressions on the Compact that recently arrived here..on tour.

My usual gigging set is - GK combo (for small/quiet or lazy gigs) EA500 head with either 1 or 2 EA CXL1x10s or single CXL1x12. I also use an Acoustic Image Clarus..more on that in a bit. Basses are Fender jazz types..Alembic Epic or Clifton EUB..sometimes a Warwick Thumb.

I really like the EA cabs, although they have a bit of an unforgiving mid emphasis when heard in isolation..and are not exactly light. The 10s are something like 32lbs and the 12 is 44lbs - not really heavy..but heavier than you'd think from their size. They also have co-ax tweeters which I turn down at least half way. They are also expensive.

The Compact is very light for its size and the "slim but tall" shape makes it easy to move through doors or into cars etc. I thought one handle was a mistake..but it works. You just have to lift it and it all makes sense. For a lot of my work (jazzy bands at functions or restaurants, folky "acoustic"gigs) it is too big - even carrying it into a posh hotel they'll ask you to turn down before you've plugged it in.

Despite that, I took it along to a duo (guitar/bass) restaurant gig, powered by the Clarus, with a Sansamp VT pedal as insurance. With a passive/flatwound jazz bass it was a good sound with a mere tweek of the amp's (limited) eq and a fantastic sound with the VT's eq and emulation. Much bigger low end than I normally use (CXL1x10) but perfectly controlable, even in a boomy acoustic. There are plenty of mids there, and note definition was easy - even at a far lower volume than it was ever intended for.

It has all of the better characteristics of a "good old" 1x15. Plenty of warm sounding lows, and a pleasing traditional voice...but much better clarity and mid range. It doesn't do snappy highs..so no Marcus Miller...but there are enough highs there to sound good (in a 70's disco way..not even MM had tweeters before 1984?). It seems to be an easy load for my amps - maybe 10-15% more volume at the same settings compared to my EA cabs (completely unscientific observation, but noticable).

The Compact is a great all-rounder - a perfect pub rock cab? Maybe not if you play very loud with a 4x10 and still want more...but very good for most gigs. The light weight is fantastic and the sound is great. For me, its too big for a lot of my gigs and I have got used to tweeters, even if I turn them off most of the time. A Midget T would do the job perfectly for a lot of my work...and a sub option would cover the louder stuff. Or a Big Baby??

Thanks to Alex for his work on these cabs - its a good time to be an ageing bass player!

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='571857' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:03 PM']Some first impressions on the Compact that recently arrived here..on tour.

My usual gigging set is - GK combo (for small/quiet or lazy gigs) EA500 head with either 1 or 2 EA CXL1x10s or single CXL1x12. I also use an Acoustic Image Clarus..more on that in a bit. Basses are Fender jazz types..Alembic Epic or Clifton EUB..sometimes a Warwick Thumb.

I really like the EA cabs, although they have a bit of an unforgiving mid emphasis when heard in isolation..and are not exactly light. The 10s are something like 32lbs and the 12 is 44lbs - not really heavy..but heavier than you'd think from their size. They also have co-ax tweeters which I turn down at least half way. They are also expensive.

The Compact is very light for its size and the "slim but tall" shape makes it easy to move through doors or into cars etc. I thought one handle was a mistake..but it works. You just have to lift it and it all makes sense. For a lot of my work (jazzy bands at functions or restaurants, folky "acoustic"gigs) it is too big - even carrying it into a posh hotel they'll ask you to turn down before you've plugged it in.

Despite that, I took it along to a duo (guitar/bass) restaurant gig, powered by the Clarus, with a Sansamp VT pedal as insurance. With a passive/flatwound jazz bass it was a good sound with a mere tweek of the amp's (limited) eq and a fantastic sound with the VT's eq and emulation. Much bigger low end than I normally use (CXL1x10) but perfectly controlable, even in a boomy acoustic. There are plenty of mids there, and note definition was easy - even at a far lower volume than it was ever intended for.

It has all of the better characteristics of a "good old" 1x15. Plenty of warm sounding lows, and a pleasing traditional voice...but much better clarity and mid range. It doesn't do snappy highs..so no Marcus Miller...but there are enough highs there to sound good (in a 70's disco way..not even MM had tweeters before 1984?). It seems to be an easy load for my amps - maybe 10-15% more volume at the same settings compared to my EA cabs (completely unscientific observation, but noticable).

The Compact is a great all-rounder - a perfect pub rock cab? Maybe not if you play very loud with a 4x10 and still want more...but very good for most gigs. The light weight is fantastic and the sound is great. For me, its too big for a lot of my gigs and I have got used to tweeters, even if I turn them off most of the time. A Midget T would do the job perfectly for a lot of my work...and a sub option would cover the louder stuff. Or a Big Baby??

Thanks to Alex for his work on these cabs - its a good time to be an ageing bass player!

BB[/quote]

Looking foward to getting my hands on it, got a unDoom rehearsal/tryout to go for.

Gentlemen (and ladies - this is a very one sided tour at the moment!) - if you want to join the tour, please copy my last post with the two lists and stick yourself in the most geographically logical spot. If I have a problem with it then I'll edit it but that's pretty unlikely!

Alex

Due to various things (not least of which being a pallet of woofers vanishing) revised routes as follows:

Route 1:

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
[b]umcoo lancaster[/b]
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral

I'd like to be added in Lancaster if possible? I'm through in Blackpool quite regularly for work and Preston's 30 mins away aswell. Hope that's ok. Cheers

Forgot to say, I'm away most of September so if it's due to come to me in September I'll have to pull out as I don't want to keep hold of the cab for 3 weeks when other people could be using it. I guess we'll know nearer the time whereabouts it is.

[quote name='BassBod' post='572609' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:47 AM']Yes, I wouldn't say the Compact was Doom-worthy..on its own (heh heh..). I'm sure you have a plan?

Have to sort out how/when to get it to you...[/quote]

I can probably bus up one evening if you are passing town on the way somewhere, give me an excuse to play with your nice basses. And if you wanna play with pedals or something too. I'm trying out for some cheesy thing this weekend and might need a sensible cab.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='573328' date='Aug 18 2009, 06:57 PM']I can probably bus up one evening if you are passing town on the way somewhere, give me an excuse to play with your nice basses. And if you wanna play with pedals or something too. I'm trying out for some cheesy thing this weekend and might need a sensible cab.[/quote]

Sensible...does that mean NON-DOOM?! :)

Really like to try one of these when it comes to Bristol. As I'm Bath side I could easily meet up with Gunsfreddy2003 from Cheltenham somewhere and avoid another courier! Got a suitable gig Sept 19th... (oooh that [u]would[/u] be fun!)

Route 2:

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
Apex bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
phil the bassist newbury
barelyl4 salisbury
voxpop reading
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
bananaman leamington spa
giblett123 birmingham
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

[quote name='Apex' post='574763' date='Aug 19 2009, 09:25 PM']Route 2:

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
Apex bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
phil the bassist newbury
barelyl4 salisbury
voxpop reading
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
bananaman leamington spa
giblett123 birmingham
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham[/quote]

Took my name off the list. By 16 weeks I'll have seen everything I want to see at the SE Bass Bash, and if not it's less than 2 hours from Ipswich to Brighton.

[quote name='BassBod' post='576794' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:51 PM']Compact handed over to Mr Foxen in deepest Bristol last night...anyone else interested in the Bristol area get in touch with him quickly before he "melts it" his words, not mine! It might be too late already, of course.

BB[/quote]

Haha. Not if I melt it first! (JOKE)

So I got back late from work last night to find the Compact in my (and Mr. Foxen's) hallway. He's at work now and I couldn't help myself, had to give it a cheeky bash.

I've been practicing at home recently with a 100w EL34 driven Burman (MPA preamp and SL100 powerpack) and a 500w Marshall JCM 800 2x15. Instantly I could see that the Compact handles everything much better than the Marshall. It's louder and lower and just generally sounds more confident, like it's challenging me to really push it. :) Very much initial impressions after 30 mins of play, but with one of Mr Foxens Franken P's, his old 'Storm' distortion and his Bass Exciter (I do have my own stuff here too, haha) it really sounds fantastic. Loads of low end when wanted and really fat and chunky, especially with the Aphex (I like a lot of low and the Burman has simple passive EQ without too much bass boost). We are lucky that we live next to a noisy venue so we can make a fair bit of noise, gotta be one of the loudest I've played here just now. After 30 mins of fun with the Compact I plugged the Marshall 2x15 in with the same settings and it farted and rattled and generally just didn't remotely compare.

Can't believe how good this thing is, then you consider the size and weight. It's a bit silly really.

Gagging to try a Vintage (or two) at gig volume now! Or somehow do a comparison with my GS412's.

Edited by joegarcia

[quote name='joegarcia' post='576802' date='Aug 21 2009, 04:01 PM']...just generally sounds more confident, like it's challenging me to really push it.[/quote]
Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly the phrase I've been searching for to describe the Vintage. You can just tell there's acres of room in it, way beyond the 800W I'm throwing at it. If you [b]need[/b] more than one Vintage, JG, then I for one would like to see your live show. :) :rolleyes: