Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='alexclaber' post='602210' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:41 PM']This was the very first Compact performing alongside a drummer who's playing a big Bonham-style acrylic kit with 26" kick and a guitarist using a 100W 2x12" valve combo. Only vocals and sax through the PA.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=34146&view=findpost&p=357133"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=357133[/url]

Alex[/quote]

That's excellent thanks. It's what I needed to hear, sounds nice and punchy :) .

I'm pretty much sold... The only thing I'm still unsure about is the lack of tweeter... Can you get a compact with a tweeter?

Thanks

OK. One Compact well and truly gigged.

With all the caveats from my post above, I can honestly say it made a big difference to our sound and our working ability on stage. After the first set drummer and lead guitar both commented on how much easier it was to hear the bass, and our sound man was equally enthusiastic. A general recording made from the back of the hall picks up the bass nicely - not dominating the band, but solidly underpinning the music. Changes in tone to match the genre were also audible.

Better treble than my existing set up but if there is any tonal weakness I'd say it was towards the top end of the g-string. Of course, that could be the amp, pups or player instead of the cab. Be interested to read what others think.

My lead guitarist son (who, with the deafness of youth still hasn't understood how I came by the cab in the first place) met me off stage with 'Dad, you gotta keep that cab!"

Gunsfreddy from Cheltenham is next on the list, but is away this week. If it's ok with Alex, if anyone else from the Bristol area wants to try this for a few days before he gets back I'm happy to keep it moving.

Thought I would get my review of the compact down.

I had the compact for a short time as part of the tour that is going on. I used it for a couple of practices (one at an audition with a loud drummer and guitarist) and the others at the church I play at plus one gig (the Church).

Initial thoughts on the compact were that it was light and an okay carry. I thought it was a bit awkward but I think that is just me! Not so sure about the coating I think I prefer my cabs hairy. Thought the corners didn't look up to much abuse but this is not based on any fact as I only had the cab for a couple of weeks. Construction appeared solid.

Okay to the sound. I'm comparing this to the only cabs I have owned - Genz Benz Neox 112, 212 and what is essentially the STL10. It has a lot of low-end and surprising articulation considering it has no tweeter. It’s not got crisp highs but for what I play it was adequate. I had to turn the bass down as it was a bit boomy in church but I think that was down to the acoustics.

I used it at an audition and was a bit disappointed with the volume although I was using it with the combo and I think that this cab excels with more power. I was only putting 150/175 perceived watts through it.

Personally for me it was not as good as I thought it might be considering the hype that surrounds its. My GB cabs are better for what I need and for the church gig the STL10 can put out similar sound and considering the size of the cab compared to the Compact I find it impressive.

If you are used to low end mediocre cabs then the compact will blow you away but I was not. This is only my opinion and I think with more watts the Compact will shine but for me it didn't.

Wahey, the Northern Compact is creeping ever closer towards Liverpool, I might squuze it in before the year is out :)

Really looking forward to having a blast on this, and the feedback so far is really encouraging. Alex, if you're ever up gigging in Liverpool, there's sure to be a pint with your name on it in return for this gentlemanly endeavour!

Apex kindly dropped off the "southern cab" at our rehearsal rooms last night and I used it for a full rehearsal with the band and my observations and opinions are as follows:

Weight - incredibly light for a 15" cab easy to transport and load in and out of the car. If 15" cabs have always put you off due to dimensions and weight then this cab will definitely change your mind!

Finish - I would say very practical and hardwearing but I, like others, would say that I really prefer a carpet covering - it just seems better quality. I would be interested to know why Alex does not opt for carpet covering?

Sound - Last night's rehearsal was with an instrumental jazz/funk band so I am always looking for quite a punchy sound with plenty of middle and highs. I use a GB Rumour 4 string so normally no problem at all getting that really nice high end sizzle. With my Aguilar AG500 head I normally have the EQ set flat and just dial in the extra EQ that I need from the bass as the pre-amp is so powerful. This was my starting point with the Compact but I realised immediately that some adjustments would need to be made! The bottom end from this cab is nothing short of thunderous - really round and fat! However the overall sound was just a little muddy for my liking so I rolled off the bass on the head and increased the treble and high mids. By itself it sounded fine but in the context of the band anything played on the D and G strings just would not cut through and this was commented on by 2 other band members.

I am not sure why this was happening and no amount of fiddling seemed to fix the problem. To sum up I would say that the Compact would probably suit players who are more into the "rock" sound as it powers out the bass and in that environment would probably sound awesome. Whether it was the 15" speaker or perhaps the lack of the tweeter I don't know but I just felt that the sound was not right for me and what I am looking for.

Price - Spot on. A great value when you compare what I have paid for my Epifani cab.

I am hoping to have another rehearsal on Thursday with another band which are a bit louder and if so I will give it another spin just to sense check the sounds again. If not then I will pass on to the next on the list.

Thanks again for Alex for the opportunity and I admire his absolute faith in his product to allow such harsh testing to proceed!

Mark

[quote name='Apex' post='611197' date='Sep 28 2009, 08:09 PM']Southern Compact now with GunsFreddy, who is down in a rehearsal room setting it up as I type...

.....the Sax player observed that "Bass players must be a real nice lot" :)[/quote]

Sounds like the cab simply doesn't suit your sound - something like T'Midget or T'Double Midget would be more up your alley. 'Sizzle' doesn't happen without a tweeter or midrange driver to get those extra highs. The D&G strings getting lost will be due to a lack of high midrange in your tone - but if that's the sound you like then you need a cab that can reproduce your higher treble to give you that cut.

I'm still amazed at the number of people that comment on it having huge lows - with the proliferation of smaller lightweight rigs has everyone forgotten what real bottom end sounds like?! :) I boost my lows when using a Compact to get closer to the greater bass depth and weight of the Big One.

Anyway, for your next rehearsal, get some more high mids into your sound and/or go towards the back pickup and you should cut through better. Note that adding more higher treble won't do much because the Compact cuts off fairly sharply at ~4kHz, plus it's quite directional in the highs. Getting the cab off the ground will make the treble more audible and reduce the lows, which sounds like a win-win for you! But regardless it's not the cab I'd recommend for you based on what you've said about your tonal leanings.

Alex

P.S. No carpet because lots of players don't like it - hence the ratfur nickname - with its pilling habit, and tendency to collect smells and hairs. And tolex rips too easily. And neither of those can be easily recoated when the cab is looking old and tired.

P.P.S. All the new Compacts are lighter still!

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='mike257' post='611470' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:42 PM']Wahey, the Northern Compact is creeping ever closer towards Liverpool, I might squuze it in before the year is out :)

Really looking forward to having a blast on this, and the feedback so far is really encouraging. Alex, if you're ever up gigging in Liverpool, there's sure to be a pint with your name on it in return for this gentlemanly endeavour![/quote]

Mike, you're more than welcome to try out my Compact- you can borrow it for a rehearsal/gig one night soon when I'm not using it myself... get in touch! :rolleyes:

Hi Alex,

Think you could be right that the cab just does not suit what I am looking to achieve tone wise - will try your suggestions at the next rehearsal to see if that makes any difference to my thoughts.

Thanks again

Mark

[quote name='alexclaber' post='611976' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:01 PM']Sounds like the cab simply doesn't suit your sound - something like T'Midget or T'Double Midget would be more up your alley. 'Sizzle' doesn't happen without a tweeter or midrange driver to get those extra highs. The D&G strings getting lost will be due to a lack of high midrange in your tone - but if that's the sound you like then you need a cab that can reproduce your higher treble to give you that cut.

I'm still amazed at the number of people that comment on it having huge lows - with the proliferation of smaller lightweight rigs has everyone forgotten what real bottom end sounds like?! :) I boost my lows when using a Compact to get closer to the greater bass depth and weight of the Big One.

Anyway, for your next rehearsal, get some more high mids into your sound and/or go towards the back pickup and you should cut through better. Note that adding more higher treble won't do much because the Compact cuts off fairly sharply at ~4kHz, plus it's quite directional in the highs. Getting the cab off the ground will make the treble more audible and reduce the lows, which sounds like a win-win for you! But regardless it's not the cab I'd recommend for you based on what you've said about your tonal leanings.

Alex

P.S. No carpet because lots of players don't like it - hence the ratfur nickname - with its pilling habit, and tendency to collect smells and hairs. And tolex rips too easily. And neither of those can be easily recoated when the cab is looking old and tired.

P.P.S. All the new Compacts are lighter still![/quote]

[quote name='Etienne' post='612090' date='Sep 29 2009, 03:40 PM']Mike, you're more than welcome to try out my Compact- you can borrow it for a rehearsal/gig one night soon when I'm not using it myself... get in touch! :)[/quote]

Etienne, you're truly a gentleman! That'd be ace, I'll definitely take you up on it. I've just realised it's very nearly my turn for the Big One that's doing the rounds, so if you fancy it we could get them together and A/B 'em in a couple of weeks time. I'll give you a shout soon as I know it's coming our way :rolleyes:

[quote name='mike257' post='612755' date='Sep 30 2009, 08:50 AM']Etienne, you're truly a gentleman! That'd be ace, I'll definitely take you up on it. I've just realised it's very nearly my turn for the Big One that's doing the rounds, so if you fancy it we could get them together and A/B 'em in a couple of weeks time. I'll give you a shout soon as I know it's coming our way :)[/quote]

Great, count me in mate! :rolleyes:

Hubrad has been in contact with me and if possible I would like to try it at this weekends gigs if he has finished with it by then.

I am based a few miles west of Leeds and work in Wakefield if that fits with anyone else on the list for collection etc and I am more than happy to drop off/meet half way etc

Tony

I'm not sure where it is now, but i have put my name down and am willing to deliver/pick up around Chester/Warrington/Wirral area.

Route 1:

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='613949' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:26 PM']I'm not sure where it is now...[/quote]

Me either!

By the way gentlemen (and any ladies who'd care to join in) - there is a dearth of photos of the Compacts on their travels - please endeavour to rectify this!

Alex

Just put my name between hubrad who has it now and rik (esa) who is next on the list and fully understand if I am asked to go further down the list rather than jumping in, it's just that the cab is only a mile from my house, I have two gigs over the weekend I could try it out on and get it moving again on Monday

Tony

[quote name='beerdragon' post='613949' date='Oct 1 2009, 04:26 PM']I'm not sure where it is now, but i have put my name down and am willing to deliver/pick up around Chester/Warrington/Wirral area.

Route 1:

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
[b]tonybassplayer bradford[/b]
rik (esa) bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham.[/quote]

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='614455' date='Oct 2 2009, 06:43 AM']Just put my name between hubrad who has it now and rik (esa) who is next on the list and fully understand if I am asked to go further down the list rather than jumping in, it's just that the cab is only a mile from my house, I have two gigs over the weekend I could try it out on and get it moving again on Monday[/quote]

Good move - make sure Hubrad knows!

Alex

Hi, yes he is aware and he is trying to get in touch with Rik to make sure he is ok with this

If all goes well I should have a decent review of the cab in a rock pub at decent levels from Saturday and then a little less volume at a smaller pub on the Sunday. Both gigs will be played in conjunction with the bass going through the pa

I will ensure pics are taken as well

Tony