Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='Monz' post='558216' date='Aug 2 2009, 01:25 AM']Alex... could you put me after Sean Robbinson as he is only a couple of miles away in Rotherham... would make more sense I can just nip round and pick it up

Cheers
Glyn[/quote]

As long as its ok with Alex it sounds good to me :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='561104' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:02 PM']I'm guessing we're responsible for getting it to the next person...?[/quote]

That would be logical as I did the first step. However it's probably best for you to sort it out on an individual basis.

Alex

I would like to add my name down to the list if possible

I live in the middle of Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield just off J26 on the M62 and more than happy to collect and deliver within reasonable distance either way.

Looking to go lightweight and up in quality later in the year when funds permit

Regards

Tony

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='559825' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:47 PM']Are you going to be gigging this? I may check it out.[/quote]

I sure hope to be! I'm right at the bottom of the list, so god knows how long it'll be before it makes it here, probably a good few months, but hopefully it'll turn up at the right time for a gig or two. Although, if you want to do a before-and-after check with my current rig, you could pop down to the Barfly next Monday :)

Due to various things (not least of which being a pallet of woofers vanishing) revised routes as follows:

Route 1:

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral

Route 2:

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
phil the bassist newbury
barelyl4 salisbury
voxpop reading
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
bananaman leamington spa
giblett123 birmingham
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

However, I realise it's going to take a while to get round these routes so once I have some spare cabs I'll subdivide the routes and send them out. I'll also send some Midgets around, stick your hand up if you want to see what a really really small cab can do.

As I said previously, could y'all endeavour to post your experiences directly on this thread, for good or for bad. Photos/video/audio would be a bonus.

Please bear in mind that although the Compact can go very loud it is inherently a smooth fat sounding cab, not a honky midrangey growly bottomless thing. This means that if you want to try it in a rock band where you're up against a couple of 4x12"s you will need an amp with enough power and growl - Musicman20 fell foul of this by using a friend's SVT3, which is top of my hit list for famously wimpy amps at wallet-shocking prices. If you're in a band where you're not doing the dual 4x12" battle then a couple of hundred watts will do fine, and tonally you're not going to need to add colouration to bark through the mix, you can just bring the natural fatness and punch.

So to repeat that, any old solidstate amp of 200W+ will do fine unless you're in a LOUD rock band, in which case bring more like 500W and angrier tone. Anything beyond 1000W is overkill - be careful with the gain and EQ. Low power valve amps don't seem to like the Compact due to the high power motor giving them a difficult impedance curve (which conversely makes it an easier load for solidstate amps). More powerful valve amps are fine. Not sure about the middling (200W) ones, let me know! Oh yes, and some earlier Class D designs appear to be a bit finicky too - UL502 and AI Clarus - so be interesting to know more about them. Other than those curious beasts it really doesn't care what you shove into it, it's easy.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber
+1