Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='639456' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:08 PM']Am I right in thinking that your cabs only have a Speakon input?

I've never used a Speakon cable so do I need a 2 pole or 4 pole Speakon?[/quote]

Yes you are! Either 2 pole or 4 pole Speakon will work fine, needs to be wired 1+ 1- at the speaker end (which is standard wiring for a 2 conductor cable). At the other end of the cable you want Speakon (same wiring unless bridged in which case 1+ 2+) if your amp has it, or 1/4" if not. 8 pole Speakon won't work, it's a different size entirely.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='639738' date='Oct 29 2009, 09:10 AM']Yes you are! Either 2 pole or 4 pole Speakon will work fine, needs to be wired 1+ 1- at the speaker end (which is standard wiring for a 2 conductor cable). At the other end of the cable you want Speakon (same wiring unless bridged in which case 1+ 2+) if your amp has it, or 1/4" if not. 8 pole Speakon won't work, it's a different size entirely.

Alex[/quote]

You lost me at 1+ 1-.

You could have jsut said yes, a speakon to jack cable will work.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='639856' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:01 AM']You lost me at 1+ 1-.

You could have jsut said yes, a speakon to jack cable will work.[/quote]

:)

If you open up a 2 pole Speakon it has two screw-down terminals for the cable, one labelled 1+, one labelled 1-. However if you open up a 4 pole Speakon it has four terminals, 1+, 1-, 2+, 2-. If a cab is wired for biamping (like a GK cab) the woofer gets connected to 1+ 1- whilst the tweeter is connected to 2+ 2-. Whilst if an amp is bridged it uses 1+ 2+ but then that connects at the other end to 1+ 1- (so if you use the cable the wrong way round it doesn't work!).

I only mention this because many Speakon cables are made for PA systems which do often involve biamping and bridging, hence non-standard wiring. OBBM's cables are all wired for standard bass cabs (unless you request otherwise) which avoids that problem!

Alex

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='639698' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:03 AM']Apologies for not sending a review in yet from last weekend's gig with the "northern" compact but I have had such a hectic week at work

I am gigging tonight and Friday and will post my review and pics over the weekend.

Tony

PS Gnasher1993, I work in Wakefield so collection/delivery etc should work well[/quote]

Ok, sounds cool. TPJ lives about 5 minutes away from me and he's said I can borrow his for a few days. So...I may be able to give an opinion on what 2 compacts sound like with my GB Shuttle. Obviously, that's hoping the cabs are here at the same time. Probably mid way through next week would work if possible?

Edited by gnasher1993

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
barelyl4 salisbury
stingrayfan fleet, hants
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
WonderHorse - Peterborough
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Both Bananaman and Giblett123 have asked to be removed from the list after me, so I will be sending the cab on to Adee in Corby after me so long as nobody has any objections.

I've changed the list accordingly.

Just played the cab at a gig last night so thought that I'd add my impressions:

Firstly, I've got to say how light this cab is - unbelieveable! unfortunately, I had to gloat a number of times with the other members of the band by inviting them to pick it up after seeing them struggle with their gear. It looks the part too. My only observations / recommendations for modification (allbeit very picky!) would be : the corner protectors could be a bit more beefy and the addition of a second carry strap, maybe on top.

Now to the important bit, the sound - the response is very smooth, neutral and low, although you do hear the highs quite well. Like many people on here, I use a Markbass LII and using this, the cab had no problem dealing with everything that I could throw at it. I'm more use to the colouration of "other cabs" (Trace / Ashdown) as I like more of an edgy sound and I'm not sure whether the Compact quite gave me what I was looking for, but that's probably more to do with the fact that I did'nt have a lot of time to dial in my sound (which I'm sure that I could achieve with the Compact given a bit more time).

In summary, a great sounding / looking cab at a great price! Score 9/10

Oh, and one other very important point to make - a big thank you to Alex for making this trial possible, not aware of many manufacturers who would support this kind of thing. I know that Alex is obviously keen to promote his product but this cab represents a significant portion of his budget, so all credit to him to making this happen - thanks again!

I'll now make arrangements to pass this cab on to Stingray fan - hopefully later this week.

Rich

Change of plan, scratch me off the list. Sorry guys...

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
tonybassplayer bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham

[quote name='BarelyL4' post='642415' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:31 AM']My only observations / recommendations for modification (allbeit very picky!) would be : the corner protectors could be a bit more beefy and the addition of a second carry strap, maybe on top.[/quote]

All cabs now have metal corners and with the new ply the weight is 6lbs less so I think that gets round the second handle desire! :)

Alex

[quote name='lojo' post='643712' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:50 PM']Is this idea still ongoing

If so, how longs the list?

Love to try one[/quote]

Yes it is. There's a northern tour and a southern tour for the two Compacts. And another for the Big One (which hardly anyone is bothering to provide feedback on - grumble, grumble, grumble...)

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
[b]tonybassplayer bradford[/b]
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
barelyl4 salisbury
[b]stingrayfan fleet, hants[/b]
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
WonderHorse - Peterborough
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Current locations in bold. Add yourself in a geographically logical spot - feel free to push in, don't put yourself at the end of the queue unless that's where you live!

Alex

bassbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
phil the bassist newbury
barelyl4 salisbury
sibob high wycombe
alien milton keynes
bananaman leamington spa
giblett123 birmingham
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Have to pull out due to the fact the band no longer has anywhere to practice so I don't know when I'd get to use it.

Sorry Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='642437' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:55 AM']All cabs now have metal corners and with the new ply the weight is 6lbs less so I think that gets round the second handle desire! :)

Alex[/quote]

Can we have a pic of those protectors, and how much would it cost to get them?

[quote name='davidmpires' post='645689' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:42 PM']Can we have a pic of those protectors, and how much would it cost to get them?[/quote]

They're the same as on the vintageised models and there will be new pics of everything up soon. The problem with retrofitting the metal corners is that they're a different radius and the screws are in different positions so you'd need to round off the corners further with some heavy grit sandpaper and then paint over the old screw holes, so it's not that straightforward a job. However if anyone wants to do that I'm sure I can sort something out!

Alex

Hi Alex

if you can fit me in I would be happy to pick the cab up from Josh in Preston and meet up with guyl from Manchester or drop it off for them as I am halfway between them in Chorley.
I won't get chance to gig it so would be happy mid-week for just a night to give it a thrashing....

cheers...Paul

[quote name='Prosebass' post='647586' date='Nov 6 2009, 08:04 PM']Hi Alex

if you can fit me in I would be happy to pick the cab up from Josh in Preston and meet up with guyl from Manchester or drop it off for them as I am halfway between them in Chorley.
I won't get chance to gig it so would be happy mid-week for just a night to give it a thrashing....

cheers...Paul[/quote]

I'd be happy to try the Cab if Paul gets it, again depending on how it falls I prob won't gig it but will be able to drop off in Manchester no problem. Cheers Si

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
tonybassplayer bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
prosebass chorley
geddys nose chorley
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham

musicman20 cleethorpes
casapete hull
finbar sheffield
sean.robinson rotherham
monz barnsley
hubrad bradford
rik (esa) bradford
tonybassplayer bradford
wateroftyne newcastle
delberhot camelon
lemmywinks blackpool
umcoo lancaster
josh3184 preston
prosebass chorley
geddys nose chorley
guyl manchester
bassbunny manchester
[b]RayFW Manchester[/b]
bass culture chester
protium chester
mike 257 wirral
steve soar wirral
Beerdragon Wrexham

I did add my name earlier in the thread but seem to be missing from this latest list.

Cheers,
Ray

Edited by RayFW

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='654302' date='Nov 14 2009, 10:26 AM']Hmm... just wondering what the chances are of getting this cab to the Nort East Bass Bash...

Any ideas where it's likely to be prior to the weekend of the 29th?[/quote]
Looks like it's still in Bradford with tonybassplayer. There's a few [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63245"]over here[/url] saying they're coming up from that neck o' the woods (Harrogate, York, etc.), so it might be possible for one of them to ferry it up to be guest of honour.

I want to A/B it with the Vintage!

Got a chance to have a first play with the southern Compact at home today (thanks to the loan of one of OBBM's excellent cables - cheers Dave!). For starters, it's the first cab that I've been able to carry up the stairs in one hand. The amp head was heavier - no joking. Set it up in my office and at low levels, it sounded nice and creamy with my Hartke head and G&L/Status basses. Got a rehearsal soon, so will report back on what it sounds like in anger. But overall first impressions are very good. Took some quick snaps to show it on location. They're without flash, so aren't pin sharp. Will do some better ones in the daylight. Matt.