Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='678217' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:34 PM']Top banana. I'll hang onto it for a week or so, and then we'll plot'n'scheme.[/quote]

No hurry regards me, i'm eager to compare/contrast with some stuff and know another couple of folk my way that'd be intrigued to hear it too.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677516' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:05 AM']So far, so good. Tonight I'm rehearsing with a Chicago Blues band - I suspect it'll get more of a workout.[/quote]

Okay dokey... that was a fun night. The band weren't very loud at all, which was nice but again the Compact didn't really get pushed.

We rehearsed in a pub - a nice warm, dead sound. Rolled a bit of bass off, pushed the treble a little more, and again got a lovely full, round tone with a bit of bite when digging in.

The fun continues with a trio of gigs this weekend in all different shapes and sizes...

Picking up the southern Compact from stingrayfan on Sunday.

Think I'll get about two electric gigs and an EUB gig with it, so should be fun! :)
Forgot to say to m00sh that picking it up from me in Wycombe is fine if he wants it before Alien :rolleyes:

Si

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='682964' date='Dec 13 2009, 01:25 PM']After meeting Sibob in a car park in Bracknell, he's now in possession of the southern Compact. Enjoy. :)[/quote]

It was a nice car park though!

Si

assbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
barelyl4 salisbury
stingrayfan fleet, hants
sibob high wycombe
Moos3h St Albans
alien milton keynes
adee corby
[b]Wonderhorse - Peterborough[/b]
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

I've wedged myself between Adee and Redroque.

Both of them are aware

Had the Compact for the first gig last night, pub setting, low ceiling, plenty of people (Richmond O'neills). I'll post some more in depth thoughts when i've done some more gigs with it. But first impressions are great!
Enjoyed it a lot more than my two gigs with 'The Big One', perhaps it's just the ommision of the midrange driver. Had good comments from the rest of the band as well, especially the Drummer (who's a very good all-round musician, not just a tub-thumper...great ears).
The venues I'm using this for though are quite different from the gigs I did with the Big One so it's a little bit of an unfair comparison perhaps.

I have a silver hardcase that I carry my cables and Ashdown head around in and my cab always sits on top of that to raise it off the floor and closer to ear level. Because the Compact is taller than my Ashdown Mini48, my 'rig' was taller and therefore closer to my ears, and due to the 15 moving more air (I assume), I really felt the punch in my back....nice feeling!

Comments included, "Full" & "Punchy". All my frequencies were there in abundance, never did I feel that I was lacking anything for using a 15" speaker!. The overall tone was a little bit different than my ashdown, not quite as tight sounding, but it didn't detract at all, like I said, still sounded nice and punchy....just different to what I'm used to.

Anyway, gig 2 tonight :)

Si

I'm calling the three 'on tour' cabs back as they're no longer representative of the current Barefaced cabs. Can whoever has them please get in touch directly to arrange their return. Once they're back they will be updated to the new look (though obviously not the new ply!) and then sold at a discount.

I will then be sending out new cabs to continue the tour.

My apologies if one of the cabs was just about to reach you but I don't think it's right for people to judge the cabs based on models which are both less cosmetically satisfying and significantly heavier than the current Barefaced range.

Alex

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='690725' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:44 PM']Sorry if this has been stated elsewhere, but... what does that entail? Is it just metal corners and gloss in the ports?[/quote]

Kind of. The later cabs also have smaller perforations in the grill and they're all machine cut before powder coating, plus the cabs have rubber feet as well metal corners. The internal bracing and damping has continued to improve with each iteration as well. And we're being generally more anal about the cosmetic side of QC.

Alex

So m00sh is on his way to get the Compact from me.
I've done 3 gigs with it and have enjoyed it very much actually, I think actually the true test will be how I feel when I plug my cab back in at the weekend! :).

I don't really have much to add to my initial thoughts (first post on this page), although I should probably outline that I used my Ashdown ABM EVO II 500 and MIA Jazz Standard with the cab.

I'm going to echo stingrayfans words when he passed the cab to me of: "I'm going to miss it" :rolleyes:.
Based on this test, and Alex's new spec's (assuming the even lighter new cabs don't negate the structural integrity), I'd seriously consider the Compact.
I'll reiterate that I enjoyed using it a lot more over 'The Big One'.

Cheers Alex! :lol:
Si

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be impatient, but its been over six months now since these went on tour, and they seem to get no nearer East Anglia than when they first set off, I realise we are considered a backwater but c'mon give us a fair crack! I know theyve been recalled for newer models but that only makes the wait longer, Rant over........

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='701900' date='Jan 5 2010, 05:26 PM']Sorry to be impatient, but its been over six months now since these went on tour, and they seem to get no nearer East Anglia than when they first set off, I realise we are considered a backwater but c'mon give us a fair crack! I know theyve been recalled for newer models but that only makes the wait longer, Rant over........[/quote]

The original route was to have one cab go to Essex and then onto East Anglia and onwards but as Musicman20 was so keen to try a Compact I elected to send it to him first and thus East Anglia/Essex ended up the other end of the circular-ish route. Unfortunately he tried it with the infamously weedy SVT3 whose tone he doesn't even like so it was rather a pointless exercise!

Alex