Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

[quote name='alexclaber' post='663559' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:02 AM']The same as on the outside would be ideal.[/quote]

Would it be possible to apply the texturing to some suitably-sized veneers, which could then be glued into place at the end of construction? Or would this look sh*te?

S.P.

[quote name='mikek' post='663830' date='Nov 24 2009, 03:03 PM']Perhaps I'm odd. I prefer the inside surfaces of the port to be untextured. I can't explain why. There again, I'm not really bothered either way.[/quote]

Oh yes, I should add that I'm really not fussed about having texturing inside the ports. But for those who do, perhaps it could be a chargeable extra? :)

S.P.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='663428' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:18 AM']The finish inside the bottom ports seems quite poor and perhaps should match the exterior finish.[/quote]

Just been speaking to one of my people - we were using matt paint inside the port, now we're using gloss. So it does look better now.

Alex

Hi y'all

Just a note to say that the Northern Compact is now in my posession for a bit. I have a few gigs coming up so it's going to get quite a run out, but if anyone local wants to take it away for a bit, you're welcome. Just let me know.

Also, if you want to be next in line after me, just shout... anyone north of the Border /Cumbria interested?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='670037' date='Nov 30 2009, 02:41 PM']Hi y'all

Just a note to say that the Northern Compact is now in my posession for a bit. I have a few gigs coming up so it's going to get quite a run out, but if anyone local wants to take it away for a bit, you're welcome. Just let me know.

Also, if you want to be next in line after me, just shout... anyone north of the Border /Cumbria interested?[/quote]
First gig with the Compact & Mesa MPulse last night. It was an acoustic gig at a small venue. I say acoustic, but the acoustic band still kicks, and relies on the bass to drive it along when there's no drums.

It wasnsn't an ideal test as I had to stand to the side of the cab, but I could certainly feel the girth of each note. When I managed to get to the front of the cab, it sounded pretty warm and round. Liking it so far.

I have another gig at the same place tonight, and then next weekend I have three gigs in wildly differing venues with the full band, so that'll give it a heck of a workout. More soon...

By the way, a chap from Fife would like this cab next - is there anyone between here and Edinburgh-ish who would like a go, too?

Did a gig with the southern Compact last night and it did a great job. Normally, I get one of the guys in the band to help me carry in my combo or 4x10 (they're both too heavy for a one man lift) but for the first time, I was able to carry the cab in one hand and the head in another and do it myself. The compact is really light - no need for wheels here. That just left the PA, mixer, cables, stands, lights and oh yeah, my bass, to bring in (when I come back in the next life, I'm not going to own a PA. :)).

Lots of positives about this cab. Gigging, it felt like my Hartke head was working really easily, with little resistance. There was plenty of level (I had to back off) and plenty of tone. Both in rehearsal and at the gig, I found I was having to roll off the bass (it was a bit boomy) but the high notes were all clear and audible. I stood out front of us at a couple of points in the first set and the sound was warm and smooth. Maybe not quite as punchy as I'm used to but pretty close and I'm sure if I fiddled a bit more with the EQ on my bass, I'd get there.

Maybe because of the lightness and maybe because of the lack of cover (I tend to have thick covers for all my stuff), the cab felt a bit fragile and I wondered if it would survive the rigours of cover/function band gigging. The grille is quite fine and I'm thinking it would prob dent quite easily if something fell over and onto it in the car, or it got kicked at a gig. I also agree with earlier comments that the cab could do with some beading around the grille and work on the ports to make it look a little more high-end. The covering looks a bit odd at first (it's a sort of hard textured vinyl) but you get used to it.

But those are minor niggles really. I've actually become quite attached to the cab and don't really want to see it go. In the real world of regular gigging, it works very well. It's light, takes half the space in the car of my regular cab, and sounds really good.

Would I buy one? Probably yes.

Anyone want to buy a 4x10?

:: The cab will soon be onwards to the Sibob - the next on the list. Thanks again to Alex for the loan - great idea.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='Moos3h' post='674818' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:03 AM']I'm teetering on the edge with picking up a Compact, is it possible for me to get on the rotation for the Southern one?[/quote]
It's due to go to Sibob as he's next on the list and has been waiting for a while. Drop him a PM and see if you can sort something between you, maybe. There's also a master list a few posts back, you'll need to add your name to.

assbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
barelyl4 salisbury
stingrayfan fleet, hants
sibob high wycombe
Moos3h St Albans
alien milton keynes
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Updated Southern list - that is, if everyone's happy...I can collect from Sibob without a problem

Edited by Moos3h

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='674812' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:01 AM']Both in rehearsal and at the gig, I found I was having to roll off the bass (it was a bit boomy) but the high notes were all clear and audible.[/quote]

Bear in mind that flat EQ on your Hartke is 2,10,2 not 5,5,5. Would cause much less confusion if Hartke mentioned this in the manual! What looks like flat (i.e. 5,5,5) is actually boosted bass, cut mids, boosted treble.

The finish in the port is now gloss whilst the grill is plenty strong enough to protect the speaker and I couldn't see the point of adding more weight than necessary. An interesting challenge would be to see how a Barefaced cab survives a 6' drop compared to a standard cab - I suspect the lighter cab is likely to suffer less damage.

Other than the minor niggles, glad it worked well in practice! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='674864' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:18 PM']An interesting challenge would be to see how a Barefaced cab survives a 6' drop compared to a standard cab - I suspect the lighter cab is likely to suffer less damage.[/quote]

We used to do that with PCs. Drop each one from a height of 6 feet onto the workbench, and measure the size of the dent. It's called 'benchmarking' ;-)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='674864' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:18 PM']An interesting challenge would be to see how a Barefaced cab survives a 6' drop compared to a standard cab - I suspect the lighter cab is likely to suffer less damage.[/quote]

Or possibly more damage because it is very rigid design.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='674842' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:39 AM']assbod bristol
mr foxen bristol
sk8 bristol
gunsfreddy2003 cheltenham
barelyl4 salisbury
stingrayfan fleet, hants
sibob high wycombe
Moos3h St Albans
alien milton keynes
adee corby
redroque norwich
physcoandy ipswich
pete young ipswich
crez5150 wickford
dannybuoy london/surrey
bythesea shoreham

Updated Southern list - that is, if everyone's happy...I can collect from Sibob without a problem[/quote]

Can I add my name to this list, I'm in Swindon ?

Quick update...

I had a medium-volume rehearsal last night with a funky pop/rock band last night. The room was up some stairs so I was thankful for the lack of weight.

I suspect the Compact was just ticking over, and it handled everything very nicely indeed. Even though my Jazz has flats, I just rolled the treble up a little more than normal and got lots of bite, clarity and definition without the scratch and sizzle. Apart from pushing the treble a little, the EQ was pretty much the same as when I use a single Berg HS210 in the same room.

I could hear myself very well, despite only being a foot or so in front.

So far, so good. Tonight I'm rehearsing with a Chicago Blues band - I suspect it'll get more of a workout.

More soon...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677516' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:05 AM']I suspect the Compact was just ticking over, and it handled everything very nicely indeed. Even though my Jazz has flats, I just rolled the treble up a little more than normal and got lots of bite, clarity and definition without the scratch and sizzle. Apart from pushing the treble a little, the EQ was pretty much the same as when I use a single Berg HS210 in the same room.

I could hear myself very well, despite only being a foot or so in front.[/quote]
So how does it compare to the Vintage? Same colossal low end?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='677554' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:41 AM']So how does it compare to the Vintage? Same colossal low end?[/quote]
It certainly has a similar 'effortless' bottom end - the kind that's just natural to the box without needing to be added with EQ. AKA The 'good' kind!

I'll know more about how it copes in a full gig environment after next weekend.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='677766' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:22 PM']Hello Woody!

The one I have is going up to Fife at the end of Jan. I could ship it to you first?[/quote]
Aye mate that'd be spot on! Fire me off a PM once you're done with it :)