Why become a member? ×

Barefaced On Tour

So the "Double Midget Bottom" (hereby referred to as DMB :)) is the subbiest thing I'd need for the sub 350Hz solution, although it is still not a true sub?

The PLX 1804 looks like a good amp actually, and lighter than what I'm using now. If that would happily push the DMB for some louder bigger lows than the standard DM, then I'd consider it. I always liked that my current QSC has the filtering option on it, but couldn't tell you if it made an audible difference to the sound, just thought it would be more efficient for the amp? I suppose with the extra power, the filtering becomes less important?

In other news, still waiting for a reply from Sean about picking the Compact up, just to keep people updated on progress! By the way, what the hell did casapete do to the box I received the cab in? There's only half of it o_O

[quote name='Finbar' post='588960' date='Sep 3 2009, 06:39 PM']So the "Double Midget Bottom" (hereby referred to as DMB :)) is the subbiest thing I'd need for the sub 350Hz solution, although it is still not a true sub?

The PLX 1804 looks like a good amp actually, and lighter than what I'm using now. If that would happily push the DMB for some louder bigger lows than the standard DM, then I'd consider it. I always liked that my current QSC has the filtering option on it, but couldn't tell you if it made an audible difference to the sound, just thought it would be more efficient for the amp? I suppose with the extra power, the filtering becomes less important?

In other news, still waiting for a reply from Sean about picking the Compact up, just to keep people updated on progress! By the way, what the hell did casapete do to the box I received the cab in? There's only half of it o_O[/quote]

The other half was falling apart when I got it.
Parcel tape and cardboard should do the job!

[quote name='Finbar' post='589066' date='Sep 3 2009, 08:22 PM']Sean's picking it up from me I think, so no need to post it yet. That problem then falls on his shoulders :)[/quote]

So given the fact that I drove 70 miles to deliver the cab to you, and also that Sean is collecting it from yours,
maybe a few quid spent on some packaging is n't so bad after all? :rolleyes:

I was planning on it being posted both ways and/or paying people for petrol, I'm not that tight about it! Haha ^_^

But no, there's no polystyrene corners left, just the half box. Shouldn't be too hard to rustle something up though.

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='589826' date='Sep 4 2009, 04:32 PM']I was planning on it being posted both ways and/or paying people for petrol, I'm not that tight about it! Haha ^_^

But no, there's no polystyrene corners left, just the half box. Shouldn't be too hard to rustle something up though.[/quote]
If you're anywhere near Wakefield you can have my Compact box and corners...I'm keeping my Compact :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='594762' date='Sep 10 2009, 02:24 PM']So where are the two and how much noise are they making at the moment?

Alex[/quote]

Alex,

sk8 dropped off the 'southern' Compact this evening. I was instantly impressed just by the way he lifted it out of the boot of his car! I have a rehearsal on Wednesday and a gig on Saturday, so I'm really hoping to give it some testing use this week. I know it won't be driven as hard as it could/should be (only running a Mag300) but even so it should be an interesting comparison!

(As silence descends in the room next door...) at last! Daughter's piano practice is done. Now it's my turn... :brow:

It should be making quite a lot of noise this post + 30 seconds. :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='598794' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:38 PM']I don't really know what's going on with Sean to be honest. Is it worth me getting in touch with the person after Sean on the list instead, Alex? Just to keep the ball rolling...[/quote]

Yes, absolutely. Pass it on!

Alex

[quote name='Finbar' post='598794' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:38 PM']I don't really know what's going on with Sean to be honest. Is it worth me getting in touch with the person after Sean on the list instead, Alex? Just to keep the ball rolling...[/quote]

PM'd

Anywhere near Devon at any point? I'm desperate to try one of these! Are there any videos or sound clips of the cab being used?

If anyone could upload a video it would be amazing, I think just the cab with (or VS) a loud drummer would suffice nicely.

Cheers Guys

Edited by benzies123

I guess before I pass any comment on the Compact I'd better declare my inexperience - which is considerable! I've been playing bass in an 'occasional' 6pc covers band for about two years. I fairly recently upgraded to an Ashdown Mag 300 with an Ashdown 115 'Deep'. I play a 5er and was taken in the shop with the bottom string response hence choosing the 115 over a 210. I could get a nice tone in the front room, but it seemed to keep getting lost against the drums and keyboard in a gig. The 115 is also too heavy for my aging back!

So some kind, irritating and totally unthinking person offered me the Compact. You b****!

So, my thoughts so far for what they are worth... after a practice session last night.

Stunningly light. I know they are supposed to be but our lead gutarist (ex-bass player) nearly went over backwards when he picked it up!

Finnish / appearance? Neat but uninspiring. Quite 'stealth'. The textured finish doesn't impress, but doesn't detract either, and it is practical.

Tone? In the front room I was disappointed. Sounded rather harsh compared to the Ashdown when run flat.

Usefulness? Cut through the band like a knife, and at half the volume setting I used previously!!!!!!!! :) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: Strolled in, set up and blew them away before I turned it down!

Gigging on Saturday. Will post a further comment after that. I can hardly wait!

Alex I am seriously grateful for the opportunity!

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='601769' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:05 PM']Thats a great report when is it any where near Suffolk?[/quote]

On a galactic scale its right handy.

On the other hand, without the warp factor E Bristol is nearly as far as you can get due west of Suffolk without getting wet feet. :)

[quote name='benzies123' post='601472' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:21 PM']Anywhere near Devon at any point? I'm desperate to try one of these! Are there any videos or sound clips of the cab being used?

If anyone could upload a video it would be amazing, I think just the cab with (or VS) a loud drummer would suffice nicely.

Cheers Guys[/quote]

Not great quality but hey.

It was recorded with a Sony Erickson mobile by our singer on our last rehearsal. It was a video that I converted to MP3

I'm running my T-bass in active mode with a bit of added bass on the preamp and a little cut on the treble as the strings are new. Plugged into a Mark bass F1 all flat with volume at a quarter and through a compact

Edited by davidmpires

I think Alex was a bit wary of posting sound clips as there are so many variables (e.g. quality of recording, type of amp / bass used, computer speakers etc.) and no sound clip can really convey what a fairly neutral sounding cab actually sounds like, how loud it can get, how it responds to EQ etc.

May be worth getting in touch with the nearest person on this list to see if you can arrange to try it out :)

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='602022' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:02 AM']I think Alex was a bit wary of posting sound clips as there are so many variables (e.g. quality of recording, type of amp / bass used, computer speakers etc.) and no sound clip can really convey what a fairly neutral sounding cab actually sounds like, how loud it can get, how it responds to EQ etc.

May be worth getting in touch with the nearest person on this list to see if you can arrange to try it out :)[/quote]

Very true, my sound may not be what you like, and my sound with the band is different to my sound when I'm on my own. Plus I wasn't pushing the cab, just practising for a gig.

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='davidmpires' post='602039' date='Sep 18 2009, 10:37 AM']Very true, my sound may not be what you like, and my sound with the band is different to my sound when I'm on my own. Plus I wasn't pushing the cab, just practising for a gig.[/quote]

Thanks very much David (I assume that's your name!?) for the clip, it's much appreciated.

In response to One Happy Bunny; I understand the variables possible in a recording, but I think it's useful just to have some point of reference so you can get a very vague idea of how capable the cab is. In fact I think that could be very good promotional material if done in say a good quality video of a small concert where the bass is not through the PA. Just so that you know more about what your buying before you pay the very reasonable fee :)

Of course it goes without saying that If Alex is unhappy with the the idea of clips being posted willy nilly then they simply shouldn't be.

Edited by benzies123

This was the very first Compact performing alongside a drummer who's playing a big Bonham-style acrylic kit with 26" kick and a guitarist using a 100W 2x12" valve combo. Only vocals and sax through the PA.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=34146&view=findpost&p=357133"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=357133[/url]

Alex

Edited by alexclaber