Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

So whats the most famous player you guys have gigged next too. Mine was 4 weeks into learning to play bass. The band I usually sound engineer for had the bassist say he couldnt do the gig so I stepped in. And later on in the gig...... J J Burnell was playing. Thats the nearest to fame ive been. (only gig infact). What about you guys?

Many many years ago, my band played support to a band in which Nick Beggs was guesting. I had a wee slappy solo in one of our songs; after I'd done it, I glanced into the crowd and Nick B was looking at me, & he smiled and raised his pint at me. I was walking on air for the next month after that. :)

Guest subaudio

All a bit eighties metal but I have played in bands with Ian Gillans solo keyboard player Mark Buckle, Statetroopers Steve Glover and Ian Jones from Blitzkrieg

For me, Feeder I think. They were cool. Paradise Lost were dark and very scary lol. Gun were a great bunch of lads, very down to earth. But if we are talking bass player, it would have to be Glenn Hughes. Anyone who can sing that high and play at the sametime.... well.... Awesome!! *sings* "I've ...been... Misssssssstreateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed" !!!

My former guitarist who I grew up playing with in different bands is now the guitarist for Trilok Gurtu, Corinne Bailey Rae and Roisin Murphy. He left my band to play with Nitin Sawhney.

IIRC he asked my opinion on whether he should do it and I threw him out of the band to make the decision easier. :)

With my KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill' I've been lucky enough to share the stage and play alongside various KISS members (Bruce Kulick, Mark St John, Peter Criss & Eric Singer). I've also performed for KISS members Gene Simmons & Ace Frehley and manager Bill Aucoin.

We have had some famous names attend & watch our shows as well..... including Rick Savage, Joe Elliott & Phil Collen (Def Leppard), the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Danger Danger, Terrorvision & Wolfsbane.

With other bands I have been lucky enough to perform on the same bill with Jethro Tull, Paradise Lost, Saxon, Paul Young, Beverly Craven, Motorhead, Dio, Tigertailz. I have also performed for Jimmy Page.....& Rick Wright (Pink Floyd)

Whigfield (of Saturday Night "fame" LOL).

Very bizarrely, the venue was Rock City in Nottingham in 1994. She turned up with two "dancers" and mimed for 10 minutes and my band (The Commandments) followed her and played for a couple of hours.

Weird or what? :) :huh:

Incidentally, the audience that night was just short of 3500 in a venue which was licensed for up to 1750.

Rock and roll eh? LOL

Edited by bassicinstinct

My last band supported Saxon and Blaze Bayley in 2003 (Blaze is a top bloke, but the Saxon guys weren't exactly pleasant), and, in the band I was in before that, we supported a nascent Feeder (their Swim EP had just come out), PJ Harvey, The Crazy Gods Of Endless Noise, Breed 77 (before the 77), and Imogen Heap. Not exactly top-flight stuff, but cool nonetheless.

Oh, nearly forgot... Brotherhood Of Man supported [i]us[/i] at a fest a couple of years ago :huh: 'Save Your Kisses For Me' and all that.
Yes, they're still going... the girls are lovely, very friendly, but one of the blokes [i]may or may not be*[/i] an arrogant tosser. And there [i]might be*[/i] an awful lot on their backing tape, if you see what I mean.

* in the interests of avoiding anything potentially libellous. :)

In the 70's my band at the time supported Medicine Head at Liverpool University. More recently Dave Finnegan (Mickah Wallace in The Commitments) occasionally gets up and sings with us.

*Edit* Nearly forgot - the landlord of one of our regular gigs gets up and beats the skins when we can't fight him off - he was the drummer in Pinkerton's Assorted Colours who were kinda well known in the 60s.

Edited by niceguyhomer

a couple of weeks ago we played with Unklejam, they've been in the charts with the song 'love ya' and their new single is 'stereo'. and they've just been nominated for best newcomer in the MOBO awards.

great guys, great live show, and they digged our music :)

I'm sure this has all been done before but anyway -

I used to jam with Denny Laine (Moody Blues and Wings) when he was resident at the original Blues Tavern in Farnham

A previous band supported Doctor Feelgood on two occasions.

Also supported the Jones Gang (Kenny Jones -Small Faces/The Who, Rick Wills - Small Faces/Foreigner, Robert Hart - Bad Company)

We were also once supported by the Trevor Burton Band. Trevor was an original member of The Move.

Last year I had the pleasure of jamming one number wth Rick Sanders (Violin) of Fairport Convention. Awesome.

Over the years my bands have supported nu-metallers (hed)p.e. , blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa, Ex-Terrorvision singer Tony Wright's new band Laika Dog (twice) and German prog maestros RPWL. Even more tenuously, we've also played with a local (Sheffield) band called Rise To Addiction, whose guitarists both used to play in Blaze Bayley's post-Maiden band Blaze.

At school, we had Squeeze play at our Christmas Dance and I was in the support band.
we in turn were supported by Tony Hatch's (wrote the themes for Crossroads, prisoner cell block h, neighbours) son Darren, and Lee Jenkinson son of Philip who used to present Film 76 with Barry Norman, whose daughters did a one off gig as backing vocalists with a band I was sound engineer for in Belgium. How about that for stretching the theme.

Lately we supported The Heavenly States (from California) on their micro tour of North Africa.

Oh and my daughter's Godfather is in the Drifters.

Pretty crap really apart from supporting Squeeze.