Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

[quote name='lowdown' post='55745' date='Sep 5 2007, 09:48 AM']Did a tour show with him...and he was a very clever comic....
In fact to clever...half the time the audiance did not know what
he was going on about...i thought he was great...
Hey 'out toplayjazz'....do you know a drummer from your area called
'Bill Hayton'....??
Garry[/quote]

Name rings a bell... But I've only been in the area for about 3 years, so not that well connected around here yet.

Drummers we use are Dave Armshaw, Brett Hallam & Clive Loveday.

Regards,

Rich.

• 1 month later...

Used to play in a band with Grant Nicholas from Feeder and New York based producer Brian Sperber (at the same time). Used to sleep over at Grant's parents mansion cos I couldn't get a bus home after rehearsals.

Have supported 'Kool & The Gang' at the Hammersmith Odeon and Dr. Feelgood at a festival in Suffolk,

Have played jazz with Stan Sultzman, Jim Mullen, Iain Ballamy, Roy Williams, Janusz Carmello, Hank Shaw, Osian Roberts, Dylan Fowler, Nick Page, Stuart Curtis and a load more. Am now in Bridget Metcalfe's band (Half Moon in Putney - Friday 19th October - be there or don't, see if I care)

Also played in a jazz Quintet with Osian and and a trumpeter called Ceiri Torjussen who is now working as orchestrator for major Hollywood blockbusters like Blade 2, Day After Tomorrow, Die Hard 4, Terminator 3, Hellboy etc.

Jammed with Richie Haywood (Little Feat) and Gary Moore's drummer (can't remember his name), recorded with NWOBHM band No Quarter and blues man Andy Fernbach (Blues In a Hotel Room).

Shared a stage with Ronald Lacey (the Gestapo nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark). Once saw Dr. Legg from Eastenders on a tube station. Saw Eddie Yates in Cardiff once.

Erm. Can I go now?

During the 1980's, the band I was with supported:

Alexei Sayle - even more bonkers off stage than on!
John Otway - nice bloke
Liquid Gold - (can anyone remember 'Dance yourself dizzy'?) an experience!

My bestest claim to fame...... I know it's slightly off topic.... but with the same band we did record in the Rolling Stones Mobile once and for a laugh, when the tape was running, I played the bass line to Smoke on the Water...... :)

Great memories........

Mart

Chatted to Gary Numan once (very short) and stood behind the mighty John Peel on the escaltors in Virgin Megastore in Oxford St.

Was at a lock in at a pub in Andover when the guitarist from The Troggs celebrated his 50th birthday. Of course 'Wild Thing' got played over the pub speakers and my mate in a loud voice shouted "I love The Stones"

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

How 'bout this...On same show with Rush..Kansas..Lynyrd Skynyrd..Rory Gallagher..Pure prairie League..Heart.[as 2nd guitarist with Be Bop Deluxe - see you tube]].Q -Tips...Kilburn & the high Roads....Susan 'twilight cafe'Fassbender-see youtube....Stutz Bear Catz...Drifters & just about every other UK cabaret act around in the 80's/90's....They're the ones I remember!!...Also met Macca,JJ from the Stranglers - If I remember correctly, He needed a strap for his bass and I needed a spliff...Phil Collins etc.etc..TV wise I've done TOTP,Saturday superstore..Cheggers goes pop..In Concert..OGWT..Chasing Rainbows-see youtube....DOES ALL THIS QUALIFY ME AS A FAMOUS PERSON??

Edited by Beneath It All

Stuart Cable played with my band a couple of times a few years ago. We were probably the only Welsh band that would let him at the time, though! After the gig he was a little the worse for wear so we dragged him feet first out the Chinese takeaway and popped him in our van and took him home...

...not with us for keepsies or anything, just back to his mam's place. :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='52317' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:02 PM']I've also played with the original members of Folk Rock band Horslips.[/quote]
Acidbass you are on my list of people who are awesome.

I love Horslips, very underrated in the genre. Or maybe not that underrated, there is some sifting to be done to find the gems on some of their records...

Hmmm... claims to fame...

Once supported Brendan Benson of the Raconteurs, also The Stories, who aren't as well known as they deserve to be but were just back from touring with Elton John. Also someone in a pub who claimed to be a former singer from Toto said he like the band I was playing in.

That is literally the size of it...

Edited by Breakfast

We had Owen (Stereo Mc's) drumming with us for a while...

Way back in the 80's, we had T'Pau support us at The Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road...

I was in the Boys Brigade with Richard Drummie, guitarist with Go West....

I played a gig and used Shakataks PA.....

Once had a long conversation with Chucho Merchán, at Ronnie Scotts, about bass playing and he offered to swap his hat for my Elites Strings "Put the Bass In" T-shirt..

and now one for the old farts..... My first bass cab was made from a 4x12 left at my house by Chas Cronk of the Strawbs.

I think that's it :)

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='70059' date='Oct 5 2007, 05:06 PM']Was at a lock in at a pub in Andover when the guitarist from The Troggs celebrated his 50th birthday. Of course 'Wild Thing' got played over the pub speakers and my mate in a loud voice shouted "I love The Stones"[/quote]

This is really weird...i was in a pub lock in with The Guitarist from the Trogg's in Andover...!!!
When was this...???
Unless he does this all time...to tell the 'Troggs in the studio story' :)

Garry

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' date='Sep 5 2007, 09:24 AM' post='55733']
I've backed Bob Monkhouse on three occasions - Very funny man, he was!

Also backed Russell Watson on the "Passion of the Tenors" tour with Richard Courtise & Richard Brierbrook.

Also played with/for many names on the classical circuit... Evilyen Glennie (deaf percussionist), Oliver Knusson (conducts at proms regularly), etc...

We were actually supported by signed band "Twisted Angels" this year as well... Quite odd having the young pretties lapping up our "experience"!

MB1. :)

Ive just read Bob Monkhouses auto biography did he do the "thats my drink!"routine to get the musicians off stage?
most entertaining book by the way,what was he like to work with?

[quote name='Mikey D' date='Sep 5 2007, 01:52 PM' post='55935']
:) Nothing...Joe Zawinul hasn't called me yet. I think he lost my number! :huh:

MB1. :huh:
Sorry to have to break this to you, but i dont think Joe will be calling you Mike,.............Hes Dead!

[quote name='hipbass' date='Oct 5 2007, 06:18 PM' post='70099']
How 'bout this...On same show with Rush..Kansas..Lynyrd Skynyrd..Rory Gallagher..Pure prairie League..Heart..Q -Tips...Kilburn & the high Roads..As band member with Be Bop Deluxe on 2nd guitar - see you tube..Susan 'twilight cafe'Fassbender-see youtube....Stutz Bear Catz...Drifters & just about every other UK cabaret act around in the 80's/90's....They're the ones I remember!!...Also met Macca,JJ from the Stranglers - If I remember correctly, He needed a strap for his bass and I needed a spliff...Phil Collins etc.etc..TV wise I've done TOTP,Saturday superstore..Cheggers goes pop..In Concert..OGWT..Chasing Rainbows-see youtube....DOES ALL THIS QUALIFY ME AS A FAMOUS PERSON??

MB1. :)

NO!

• 2 weeks later...

How 'bout this...On same show with Rush..Kansas..Lynyrd Skynyrd..Rory Gallagher..Pure prairie League..Heart[as 2nd guitarist with be bop deluxe - see you tube]]..Q -Tips...Kilburn & the high Roads....Susan 'twilight cafe'Fassbender-see youtube....Stutz Bear Catz...Drifters & just about every other UK cabaret act around in the 80's/90's....They're the ones I remember!!...Also met Macca,JJ from the Stranglers - If I remember correctly, He needed a strap for his bass and I needed a spliff...Phil Collins etc.etc..TV wise I've done TOTP,Saturday superstore..Cheggers goes pop..In Concert..OGWT..Chasing Rainbows-see youtube....DOES ALL THIS QUALIFY ME AS A FAMOUS PERSON??

MB1. :huh:

NO!
[/quote]**********************************Sh*t, I'd better change my business card :)

Edited by Beneath It All

Anyone from liverpool might know of pete wylie of the might wah fame from the 80's.
did a gig over the summer at the matthew street festival and the band got asked to play support for him at a small venue in town a few weeks later.
his bassist was martin crawford/ crawly (not too sure what his second name is) who was with the verve during their brief encounter with fame.

Played at a benefit where Tom Robinson was headlining. After I played, he came over and told me "nice bass playing mate". His own set (a solo set) was superb. Fast forward a few years, and the guitarist i had been playing with passed on - Tom came and played a couple of acoustic numbers at his funeral - nice one!

Played, as I've mentioned before, in a Specials tribute having been a two tone fan from back in the year dot. So I suppose of all the people who have been lucky enough to play on stage with me, Roddy Radiation and Neville Staple must be the proudest.
Poor old Neville was then seen trying to revive his career by appearing ion the line up on Buzzcocks. How fleeting his moment basking in the reflected light of my greatness.