Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

I could name drop just about every London-based British star-chitect, the Mayor, the Deputy Mayor, a few Lords and Sirs and a handful of Mayor's Advisors as part of my day job but musically I'm less fortunate.

I used to be in a motown pub band with Steve Jackson, co founder of Games Workshop and he co-wrote the Fighting Fantasy game books in the early 80's with Ian Livingstone. The same band had a singer who was briefly with Desmond Decker and the Israelites too (before they made it big).

I've not yet played with any famous musicians yet though although I've met a few like others here. Came close to getting lessons with Julian Crampton at one point, but he kept going on tour...

My old R&B band supported Screaming Lord Such about 10 years ago (if anyone remembers him ?) A very interesting gig indeed, when he turned up they though he was a tramp and tried to throw him out !

Next month I'm supporting Rhino Edwards band - Woodez

Going back to the late '60's, my band supported, in no particular order:

Joe Cocker & Grease Band - Chris Stainton (fretless precision)

Ten Years After - Leo Lyons (1961 Jazz)

Jon Hiseman's Colosseum - Tony Reeves (EB2/Rivoli)

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - John McVie (Precision)

Keef Hartley Band - Gary Thain (Jazz)

Procol Harum - Alan Cartwright

Rhino.

[quote name='The Funk' post='53373' date='Aug 31 2007, 02:19 PM']When Norman Foster walks into a meeting does everyone shout out "Norm!"?[/quote]
Generally in my line of work, shouting at the enobled would be frowned upon. :) I must admit it is interesting finding out how closely talent matches reptuation. Generally, reputations are well deserved.

My Band has been joined on stage by Martha Reeves (without The Vandella's), Edwin Starr, Ben E. King, and an incarnation of The Drifters (Ray Lewis's one I think). Also shared the bill with Paul Jones' Blues Band, (What a miserable person! Allegedly!) and John Otway (raving nutter) (Also allegedly!). And we also played at a function attended by John Prescott, although thats not a claim to fame, thats just embarrasment coming out! Jack Dee hosted an awards ceremony we were playing at (to$$er) allegedly, as did Paul Merton (nice guy)

R.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='52272' date='Aug 29 2007, 12:59 PM']In the 70's my band at the time supported Medicine Head at Liverpool University. More recently Dave Finnegan (Mickah Wallace in The Commitments) occasionally gets up and sings with us.

*Edit* Nearly forgot - the landlord of one of our regular gigs gets up and beats the skins when we can't fight him off - he was the drummer in Pinkerton's Assorted Colours who were kinda well known in the 60s.[/quote]
Thats Spooky Alan,
The band I was playing with in the late 60's did Liverpool Uni supporting Pink Floyd and Traffic, (playing guitar then though). Also supported The Who in the same era and Johhny Johnson & The Bandwagon. Also backed Edwin Starr on one gig.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='52358' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:54 PM']Um, I played bass with Ken McClusky once... he was one of the vocalists in The Bluebells, if anyone remembers them...[/quote]

Aye I remember them dlloyd, they were great on channel 4 programme 'the tube'!

Think the most well known band we supported were London garage band The Wigs at Fulham Greyhound many many moons ago.

Claims

Worked with Roy Hudd (not music but hey...)
Mate Paul is the Harrisons manager
The Bassist from Curve has watched me at a birthday gig in the heart of the South Downs (His kids said I was cooler and better than Dad,coz I enjoyed myself more)

Met the long suffering Pauline Prescott in Hull (Nice lady,warm smile)

was an extra in a video with fish and sam brown...friends and lovers i think the song is called!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tKJ4zzNjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tKJ4zzNjw[/url]

my former bass tutor is the nephew of Jack Bruce...

he also played bass with the proclaimer, danny wilson etc...

also, used to be a cracking rock pub in Edinburgh called the Southern...Nirvana played an accoustic gig in there before an evening show late in 92', the place was quite literally full to overflowing, as you would expect, takings for that night was one the best the pub did ever!!! until...my rock covers band played in there...full, couldn't bloody well move nor get a drop to drink! record takings? beat it by a mile that night..as good as that may sound the advantage we had - was hogmany 92'! Edinburgh was bursting at the seems...................(|||)

Edited by andy67

My band played joe's well in leeds about a year ago and the keyboard player from the kiezer chiefs was there. He told all the bands he'd go check them out and then spent the whole night in the pool room with his mates. I wasnt too fussed as ive always thought his band were bloody awful but a little indie kid from one of the other bands looked really beat up about it. So I went over to him and said i thought it wasnt really on and he shouldnt say stuff liike that if he knew he wasnt going to do it. His excuse was that he didnt have the £3 it cost to get in to see the bands. When I pointed out that his band had just had three sucessive top ten hits and an arena tour of europe and also that he was actually holding a 20 pound note in his left hand, he mumbled something then one of his mates told me to f*** off.

Also met the singer from the kiezer chiefs seperatly but that wasnt at a gig and was before they got big.Plus I accidentally nearly pushed matt bellamy down some stairs once but that was in a music shop :)

I was in a jazz trio with session supremo Big Jim Sullivan for a while. Learned an awful lot fast. Got to meet & play with Herbie Flowers at a few of those gigs (looks like at least 75% of us here have met Herbie though. Nice bloke nonetheless...)

I did an unrehearsed dep for a band at a party at Roger Taylor's enormous Surrey pad (the Queen drumming one). Met Gary Glitter (uurgh...), cool bassman Phil Spalding, Martin Chambers from the Pretenders, etc etc. Tony Hadley wee'd on my foot there... (by accident I hasten to add).

Alvin Stardust.

Richard O'Brien (Crystal Maze, Rocky Horror Show etc) said I played bass like a piano player's left hand. I think it was a compliment...

I performed in a musical with 80s DJ Mike Read & Radio 4's mellifluous voiced announcer Peter Donaldson. He had us howling with laughter at his selections from the shipping forecast (just kidding ;-)

But the best one was with a personal hero from my prog days: David Palmer from Jethro Tull. I remember him as a bearded pipe smoking Bloke behind a pipe organ and bank of synths... I met her shortly after her sex change when she became Dee Palmer. Got a peck on the cheek at the end of 'Locomotive Breath' though...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='52496' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:11 PM']I knew her for years (she went out with one of my best mates) and she always talked about becoming a professional singer. We got together for a few performances and did a version of Sweet Love by Anita Baker. I've never heard anything like it and got so hooked on her voice that I nearly lost my place a few times! A really nice person too.

It's one of those friendships I wish I'd have kept going.

Coat-tailing? Moi?[/quote]

i know how you feel mate, I went to school with her. Played with her a number of times and she always promised me the gig in her band if/when she ever "made it".....

I've backed Bob Monkhouse on three occasions - Very funny man, he was!

Also backed Russell Watson on the "Passion of the Tenors" tour with Richard Courtise & Richard Brierbrook.

Also played with/for many names on the classical circuit... Evilyen Glennie (deaf percussionist), Oliver Knusson (conducts at proms regularly), etc...

We were actually supported by signed band "Twisted Angels" this year as well... Quite odd having the young pretties lapping up our "experience"!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='55733' date='Sep 5 2007, 09:24 AM']I've backed Bob Monkhouse on three occasions - Very funny man, he was![/quote]

Did a tour show with him...and he was a very clever comic....
In fact to clever...half the time the audiance did not know what
he was going on about...i thought he was great...

Hey 'out toplayjazz'....do you know a drummer from your area called
'Bill Hayton'....??

Garry

Edited by lowdown