Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

the ones that spring to mind are Styx, Dokken, Danger danger, statetrooper, mendeed, the jellies, sikth, two bands i forget the names of but both were in the top ten a week later, on two different occasions, im sure there was more in the late 90's, lush i think, something about flowers, loads of indie acts that were big back then for about two years!, Replaced Reef at a festival once. and turned down towers of london, I may have overdone things, my memory is kinda hazy! hehheh

Edited by gafbass02

Lost Prophets - back in the day.

I remember their van broke down on the way over from Wales to Sheffield so they got to the venue really late and were a bit peeved. They had all just got a wireless setup and Lee Glaze ended up having loads of problems and stormed off stage. Still very nice lads apparently - I was a bit scared to talk to them though..

I remember watching them from the side of the stage and thinking they're a cut above us (my band) and were definitely going somewhere!

Despite the bad rap it gets now those nu-metal years ('99 to '01) were good times... plus a lot of good UK bands too...

Edited by Jono

[quote name='gafbass02' post='77831' date='Oct 22 2007, 07:00 PM']and turned down towers of london, I may have overdone things, my memory is kinda hazy! hehheh[/quote]

We were on the same bill as Towers of London about 2 years ago (may have been longer). We watched their set and I've not laughed so much in ages. EVERY Rawk pose you can imagine was pulled!! They were God awful though

Only just starting out here (despite being well into my 30's) but the other day we opened for Adam Bomb - that was an experience, at least it assured me that I've plenty more years left in me yet (unless the beer and kebabs get me first) - hardly a claim to fame I know but it's a start :)

• 1 month later...

Wicked thread guys!!!

Supported Diadre Cartwright's jazz trio a few years back...guess that's the only named artist!!!

Managed to gig at the Jazz Cafe in Camden though, so that's a pretty wicked venue to have on the CV...also gigged at the Yardbird in Birmingham, and got bookings for the HiFi club in Leeds...so for funk/jazz venues...that's like the top 3 *barr Ronnie Scott's :)* Not exactly artists i know...hehe!!!

Jam

Jammed "Hey Joe" with 2 blokes from Def Leopard in a really really small pub somewhere on the Norfolk Broads during the actual bands break and had a heavy breathing session with Rolf Harris in HMV Aberdeen. He drew me a signed Rolf-a-roo on a scrap of paper but I foolishly gave it to some strumpet I was trying to impress at the time.

[quote name='3V17C' post='54065' date='Sep 1 2007, 11:54 PM']woah! they were a cool band with some nice bass playing - saw em at reading and went and bought the album..still sounds quite good[/quote]

I think the gig we did with them was at the Harlow Square, around 1996-ish. Yep, the bassist was also the co-lead singer, and played fretted and fretless 5-string Wals. Great player. We had a short bass-related conversation afterwards, if I recall. I wonder what became of them? They were pretty bloody good back in the day.

[quote name='Hamster' post='52161' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:30 AM']We played at a wedding reception where Steve Hogarth was one of the guests, he stepped up to the mic to sing a couple of numbers. Bit of a shame we didn't know any Marillion songs!

Hamster[/quote]

Lucky you..................Steve Hogarth is my favourite vocalist, huge range and wonderful lyrics. He's at home singing other songs too,what a treat for you to be able to say he sang with you!We just went to see marillion this week, in fact.....at Cardiff and London, and he was certainly on top form both nights.

[quote name='cetera' post='52225' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:05 AM']With my KISS Tribute Band 'Dressed To Kill' I've been lucky enough to share the stage and play alongside various KISS members (Bruce Kulick, Mark St John, Peter Criss & Eric Singer). I've also performed for KISS members Gene Simmons & Ace Frehley and manager Bill Aucoin.[/quote]

Ahh- so it's you.
Much admiration for your band!

I once gigged with a band with major management interest, as a temporary replacement. We did a gig at the Brixton Jamm. Beginning the set was a girl called Adele, who played solo acoustic. She had an amazing voice and she a very strong following. Think Amy Winehouse, but better! Fantastic behind the beat, lazy Sunday type feel. Few months down the line, I see her perform on Later with Jools Holland, and then a live video on MTV2.

Check her out. I love "Hometown Glory".

[url="http://www.myspace.com/adelelondon"]http://www.myspace.com/adelelondon[/url]

Edited by s_u_y_*

• 2 weeks later...

Can't beat that Whigfield one either but......

One time I was playing in a rock covers band and our drummer couldn't make the pub gig, so we were desperately looking for someone to sub.

Don't know how he managed it, but the guitar player got Les Binks (who used to play with Judas Priest) to sub on the gig.

Talk about a stroke of luck.

Needless to say, Les didn't need to rehearse with us beforehand, knew all the tunes, just turned up and played and took the whole band's playing up a gear.

My Dad had a cool one too...

Back in the early 60's he was in a pub in Richmond where a young band was playing.

During the break, he's talking to the singer at the bar (who my Dad described as "a scruffy bugger who didn't look like he had two ha'pennies to rub together" :) )

Anyway, my Dad got talking to this young man and felt sorry for him ('cos he really looked broke) and bought him a drink and they chatted a bit about his band and their ambitions.

My Dad said to the guy, "don't worry Mick, I think your band will make it!"

Turned out he was talking to Jagger. :huh:

Edited by thebassmandave

By Proxy,
did a gig with a drummer the other day who had been in a band that played on a North Sea jazz cruise, and he got to play with a number of the guys who were on the bill, including......... wait for it drrrrrrrrrrrrrr cheiii MARCUS MILLER ladies and gentlemen thats right lets hear it for the man with the golden thumb, our very own boy from Brooklyn MAAAAAAAAARCUUUUUUUUUS MILLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!

thank you :)

[quote name='funkysimon' post='106397' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:09 AM']I've played on stage after Geno Washington and the Ram Jam band did a set. What was particularly nice was that Geno stuck around to listen to us, then came over to say hello after we'd finished. Nice chap.[/quote]

Just out of interest, was that at the Roadhouse in Covent Garden?

Edited by Old Horse Murphy