Why become a member? ×

Claims to fame

charic

[quote name='funkysimon' post='106407' date='Dec 19 2007, 11:29 AM']Nah, it was at a ball in one of the Colleges in Cambridge. Why do you ask?[/quote]

It's just that everyone I've known he's played with or shared a gig with Geno has been at the Road House!! I think he had a residency there for a few years.

Not much in the claim to fame stakes – Boo Hewardine was guitar/lead vocals in my school band (in ‘80’s indie band The Bible and better known now as a songwriter), and I was recently in a South Wales band with the lead guitarist from Lone Star (‘80’s rock band).
However, a couple of years back was this close (hold fingers 1mm apart) to the “Carlsberg don’t do bands, but if they did…….” dream bass job. Temporarily in between bands I looked at the ads in the local guitar emporium, saw one looking for a “pro-minded bassist, own gear, for band playing 70’s-current covers, shortly about to tour”. I phoned the guy out of interest; he was rather cagey about the whole thing but said it was much as the ad said, with some fairly heavy finance behind the project, the band about to tour the North of England, and then possibly Europe. Well, I wasn’t too sure about the touring as I have on-call commitments at the hospital I work at, but he persuaded me too come and audition – the only formal one I’ve ever had. Which I passed, then he fills in a bit more details – the band was to support a troupe of 20 lap-dancers! I had to turn it down because of the length of touring even though the money was great. My mate at work said he’d cover all my on-call just to experience it through me and hear my stories!
Mind you, I guess it’d be like working in a chocolate factory. :)

Ooh if we're talking films then I was an extra in Rob Roy. Spent days in a warehouse (then weeks on location doing the outdoorsy stuff) done out as a Scottish village at night in the company of Liam Neeson, Jessica "Ooh get her" Lange and Jason Flemyng (who by the way had a slight sense of humour failure when I jokingly commented in a Vic Reeves style that he "had an ACTORS cough" as he cleared his throat before an "action". Was hanging around at the bar with a very short and arrogant Tim Roth who glibly commanded that we entertain him - ass! Oh and despite several attempts by make-up to cover it up I got a (coincidently historically accurate) homemade Celt tattoo on my wrist into the movie. Yay!

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='101512' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:08 PM']Garry, can you remember who the guitarist was from that tour?[/quote]

Elvin Richmond for the first part
Who was once the voice for 'Ronald Macdonald' :)
Then Malcom Macfarland for the second bit.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='106677' date='Dec 19 2007, 08:08 PM']Elvin Richmond for the first part
Who was once the voice for 'Ronald Macdonald' :huh:
Then Malcom Macfarland for the second bit.[/quote]
Did you ever hear about a former guitarist called Billy (his surname escapes me but he moved to my home town in NZ and never gave anyone a chance to forget he was ex-Boney M. Wanted to set up his own world class recording studio but, as was the case with many over ambitious immigrants, it died on its feet due to sheer apathy from the rest of the industry because he charged international rates too!)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='106504' date='Dec 19 2007, 02:40 PM']no-one I can think of :) :huh:

but I've just been in a film with Meera Syal ([i]Goodness Gracious Me, The Kumars at 42[/i]) and Gordon Kennedy ([i]Absolutely, Robin Hood[/i]) :huh:[/quote]
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnice!

Welcome to Name Dropping Central.

Some of the more 'known' acts ive shared a stage with:

Kings of Leon - Glastonbury (John Peel Stage)
John Cale - Glastonbury (John Peel Stage)
Big Country / Bonnie Tyler / Roy Wood / Tom Robinson (Heineken Festival)
The Animals

Played in a band with Aled Richards (Drummer) post Catatonia and do the odd bit of session work with him.

Still playing the toilet circuit tho, never quite worked out somehow :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='107338' date='Dec 20 2007, 09:17 PM']Did you ever hear about a former guitarist called Billy (his surname escapes me but he moved to my home town in NZ and never gave anyone a chance to forget he was ex-Boney M. Wanted to set up his own world class recording studio but, as was the case with many over ambitious immigrants, it died on its feet due to sheer apathy from the rest of the industry because he charged international rates too!)

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnice![/quote]

Steve...
Dont remember him...there was a Guitarist called Bobby at some time..
In Fact this Summer i was working in Berlin for the Producer [Frank Farion] who pretty much wrote and
produced all the Boney M stuff [apart from a couple of covers] .He was really Boney M.
I will email him For Billy's second name.. [Was he English..?]

Garry