Why become a member? ×

What strings, Stainless or Nickle?

bubinga5

Any opinions on these types of strings...Im in two minds..I love the zingy sound from Stainless, but the feel is very tacky to my fingers sometimes (especially when the humidity is high)...But i love the feel of Nickles (i love the smooth feel) but the tone is not so bright...I do love a bright sounding string that has been played a few times, and has the edge taken off it...

My choice strings have been Elite's Stainless for a while now, as they have a great bright/modern sound to them...
I also like Labella Flats for flat wounds.

Is there anything in the middle of the two?? What are Elixers like?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='495470' date='May 22 2009, 06:49 PM']Any opinions on these types of strings...Im in two minds..I love the zingy sound from Stainless, but the feel is very tacky to my fingers sometimes (especially when the humidity is high)...But i love the feel of Nickles (i love the smooth feel) but the tone is not so bright...I do love a bright sounding string that has been played a few times, and has the edge taken off it...

My choice strings have been Elite's Stainless for a while now, as they have a great bright/modern sound to them...
I also like Labella Flats for flat wounds.

Is there anything in the middle of the two?? What are Elixers like?[/quote]

Seriously, give Thomastik jazz flats a go. If you like Labella flats, but want a livlier tone, you'll love these.

[quote name='pete.young' post='495590' date='May 22 2009, 09:43 PM']I've just put DR Sunbeams on my GL2500. Very very nice, still a bit too bright for me (don't like stainless!) but the feel is perfect.[/quote]

Sunbeams or Thomastik (nickel) Alloys (see Thomann site). If you just want to test some nickels out for cost effectiveness then check out some of the eBay offers on Hartke strings; I got 3 sets of strings for £12. Ideal if you have string eating sweat. :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='495751' date='May 23 2009, 03:06 AM']Without wanting to sound rude...my Q is what string you prefer...Stainless or Nickle....What feels best for you..WarwickHunt, you must have played a few..!![/quote]

When you've lived long enough you get to try most things in life! :lol:

Like most people when I started off I begged, borrowed and stole strings (the last ones a lie officer). When I could afford to buy them I bought what the shop had cheap regardless of material or manufacturers name but as I developed an understanding, I went for the likes of Rotosound and D'Addario Steels as I liked the extra 'grind' they seem to give (all technical terms with me, as you will see). However, your musical style and tastes can change and I gradually got weaned onto Nickels. They are a bit softer from the outset (tonally and feel) and I find that when they have lost a bit of the initial 'zing' they stay consistent for a greater length of time; whereas Steels start of with more snap/bite/grind but they generally loose their best qualities quicker than Nickels; though there are exceptions to every rule!

As for manufacturers... these days there are a lot less duff strings out there (I'm lead to believe that a great many strings are produced in the same factories and just packaged differently) and the days of getting strings that go ping or that are dead when you put them on are pretty rare. You do get marginally better strings the more you pay but there is the law of diminishing returns and once up to £20 you really should be getting a quality string.

Round/Ground/Compressed/Flats... Musical style and genre affects ALL choices really. I can appreciate flats and every now and again I like to give them a try (I have a set on one of my Warwicks, the fault of WoT after I played a couple of his Flats strung Jazzes), a bit like rich blue cheese; nice every now and then but not every day! :D Groundwounds and Pressurewounds can be really nice feeling/sounding strings... in fact I may reacquaint myself with a set soon :) however, every day strings for me would be Roundwounds (Nickel, as above). I like that bit of attack/grind you get that comes naturally with Rounds, though I admit you can still get a bit from Flats (I was around when Iron Maiden were a pub band and I was frankly shocked to hear that Steve Harris used Flats :rolleyes: )

It's a great learning curve and I'm always prepared to be surprised or have my perceptions challenged but for now I'll buy Nickels; probably Thomastik 'Alloys' (from Thomann) or DR Sunbeams BUT I've also bought a bunch of Hartke Nickels off eBay at £4 a set... just to chuck on for some school productions where I'm not too fussed about sacrificing a smidgen of tone for the need to change strings regularly.

Good luck. ;)

Edited by warwickhunt

I prefer nickels. I've never found a set of steels I like the feel or sound of.

I have used Elixirs - to me they sounded more like nickel thans steels. Nice strings, but expensive.

After trying loads of brands, I've got Ernie Ball nickels on all my basses now.

I use different strings on different basses, as some sound better on some instruments than others!
I generally favour 40, 60, 80, 100 or 45, 65, 80, 100 gauges.
As a rule, I go with steels or coated strings. The only exception is my 2004 MIA Fender Jazz (Ash bodied) which wears Fender 7150 Nickels (£13 a set and sound just as I'd want them to!)
Otherwise;

Warwick Infinity SN4 - Elixirs
Squier VM Jazz - DR Fatbeams
Vigier Passion S3 - DR Fatbeams (although I'm still experimenting)
Status Streamline - Status Hotwires (DBall end)
Yamaha Attitude - Still working on this one! Hated EB Slinkies, Elixirs sound odd on the Phenolic fretboard. Might try a DR type.

I don't think flats are for me. I'd use heavier gauges if I were down-tuning.

In terms of recommendation? DR for absoulute tone. Elixir for durablity.
I'm tempted by Thomastik -Infeld Jazz Rounds, though (at a price!)

Almost always nickel rounds for me as I much prefer the feel (softness) and can get enough zing. Tension is a big issue and I've found d'Addario lights or medium-lights to be fairly good (the tension isn't super-low on 34" but perfectly acceptable). I have Thomastic Infeld flats on my ABG - they're lovely - fantastic, silky, slippy feel, low tension and great depth of tone. I've only tried Elixirs once - they're currently on my Warwick 5. I was prepared to be unimpressed and the Elixirs did take a few days to get used to. Now they've been on a couple of weeks, I'm really pleased. The feel (for me) is slightly odd - they're quite smooth (there's no coarseness at all as you'd commonly experience with Steels) and a feel a bit 'thicker' than I'd expect for the gauge. I find them to be very comfortable in general - the tension is reasonable and they're easy to zip around on (the coating doesn't seem to get sticky in any way). Elixirs are not the brightest sounding string but they seem to work superbly well on the Warwick, bringing out that thick, fat, dry sound the basses are famous for. If you're looking for real zing, I doubt you'd be too impressed - they are full and accurate and reasonably bright, but lacking the zing of a standard nickel set. I can't comment on longevity, I've only had them on for a short period: Elixirs are supposed to last 3-5 times as long as standard strings but I've read some complaints about 'stripping' of the coating

Elixers live quite long on my basses, and they only had to be replaced because of age. Never had a snapping Elixer!
I'm trying out Galii on my Fender-P, and that gave a quite good sound. Really punchy and bright.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the Elixers on my Jazz, it seems to lack that typical jazz sound.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='495609' date='May 22 2009, 10:31 PM']Sunbeams or Thomastik (nickel) Alloys (see Thomann site). If you just want to test some nickels out for cost effectiveness then check out some of the eBay offers on Hartke strings; I got 3 sets of strings for £12. Ideal if you have string eating sweat. :)[/quote]
I got some of these.. not half bad at the closing price, although the low B is horribly woolly - now replaced with a single B costing as much as the whole Hartke set! The E A D and G are fairly nice strings.

Ive been a roto stainless user for years. Now im trying some EB Nickel...just for a change. Im even considering flats on my P bass or one of my MM when they next need a change.

Now I appreciate the bass guitar in more styles of music, I want to try different tones.

I'm currently using Optima Gold Strings so where's your stainless and nickel now then? :)

Seriously though, I cannot believe how good Rotos are when they go dead. Seriously good strings.

It is really going to depend on your bass: With the Stingrays and my '51 P bass reissues, nickel Hybrid Slinkies were where it was at but I absolutely love stainless with my Warmoth.

I'd also have to say a huge +1 to Hartke strings. Cheap as chips and they sound fantastic. When the Optimas die I'll flip a coin to decide if Rotos or Hartkes go back on.

Nickel is softer, as is 24 karat gold, than stainless steel so won't eat your frets as much. For pure finger softness and the ability to play dozens of nights on the trot, nothing can beat TI flats.

My favourite string has always been nickel!! i used steels a long time ago when my gear was less than stellar and wanted a brighter tone, steels just sound harsh to me now, for a very long time i used d,addario xl,s which are nickel plated steel and ive always found them to have a nice balance between warmth and zing as they have a nice brightness to them ( and are fairly reasonably priced) my favourite string for sheer quality of tone and balance is the DR sunbeam absolutely lovely sound and tend to work well with most basses, i know it sounds daft but ive found that some brands of string sound better on diffrent basses for example i used elites steels for a while and quite liked them on my jazz, but when i got my first warwick i stopped using them as i found the brighter sound of the warwick just didnt suit them IMO but when i put d,addarios on, the bass came to life.
I am back using the d,addarios for financial reasons as i like to change them fairly regularly and having 4 basses means DR SUNBEAMS are just too pricey, will get a set for special gigs though!!!
Anyway everyone loves the DR,s give em a go!!! - all the best - lee

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='495609' date='May 22 2009, 10:31 PM']If you just want to test some nickels out for cost effectiveness then check out some of the eBay offers on Hartke strings; I got 3 sets of strings for £12. Ideal if you have string eating sweat. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Just did the same, on your recommendation! :) Can't go wrong at that price really.
I've always used s/s purely from habit - first rotos now DR's, but a couple of years back bought Walbassist's '73 P strung with Fodera nickels and loved the tone - maybe time to change now.
Years ago I had a temp job in a metal plating works where new starters would almost inevitably develop an intolerance for nickel - so very thoughtfully management didn't warn them. Luckily I didn't.

I switched from using Elites Players (Nickels) to D'Addario XL nickels and love them even more - I agree the softer overall tone is great for a multitude of sounds - from NO treble to snappy slap - plus Nickels definitely last longer and have a more consistent tone/playability than steels. I've tried both Elites and D'Addario steels and while they both sound great the rougher under your fingers and feel tigher and less flexible than the nickels for both brands.

Just my £0.02 but I really love my nickels - they just feel and sound so great

Mike

I actually prefer the tone of nickel strings, but couldn't use them as I'm very allergic to it. So, as you're lucky enough not to be, go nickel! They just have a certain smoothness to the high mids I like.