Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands. What do you expect?

6 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I must admit , I'm surprised that there's a joy division tribute band . 

Peter Hook and The Light are a Joy Division tribute band and tour relentlessly, world wide and mostly packed out, so the audience is definitely there. He laughs about fronting his own tribute act. 

I like their old school way of touring too, lots and lots of small venues as opposed to a handful of huge ones. 

As for a singalong, jump to 2:30, although I'm still uneasy about the joyous nature everyone sings along to such a sad song. 

As for tribute acts, I feel like you should make as much effort as possible to be like the act without becoming a cartoon of them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I play in an Elton John tribute band - naturally the focus visually is on Elton, with an array of outfits, the onstage banter, the glasses, the voice, the mannerisms etc.

I wonder how many punters know who has been in Elton's band over the decades - I've tended to use a P bass (thinking of Dee Murray) but then his other two bassists - Bob Birch and Matt Bissonette - use five string Stingrays anyway.

I wear something smart and suitable onstage but don't look anything like any of those bassists.

• Like 2

Comparing the two Pink Floyd tributes I've seen in the last year, one was Australian Pink Floyd, 'nuff said. The other  a local band with multiple keyboard players, a woman on keys and main vocals. Two guitarists,  one of whom looks like Roger Waters(!) The other keys players doubled on sax and bass.

Now the interesting thing is, I enjoyed the local band more as it felt more like a real gig, they clearly enjoyed being there and that was infectious. APF was like watching a musical to the extent it felt like a pastiche to me,  and there was almost no audience interaction.

I've also seen an excellent new Steely Dan tribute. They had ten people, eight of whom were wearing check shirts. They can't  have eight Donald Fagens...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Tried to start a Motley Crue tribute band up several years ago, we really were trying to replicate them musically and visually, after lots of auditions for the drummer, Tommy Lee, we had to give up as none of them had a really large penis 😄

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Now the interesting thing is, I enjoyed the local band more as it felt more like a real gig, they clearly enjoyed being there and that was infectious. APF was like watching a musical to the extent it felt like a pastiche to me,  and there was almost no audience interaction.

All the other comments above (mine included) not withstanding, whatever the act the audience has to enjoy it otherwise what is the point? So I get what you're saying. A tribute act at whatever level has to be careful that it doesn't take itself too seriously (however good they are, they are not the original band) but at the same time it has to be good enough to justify the 'tribute' tag. A fine line which will vary depending on the act being tributed as well as the level of venue (e.g. pub or theatre) and the expectations of the audience. 

• Like 1

Some tribute acts pride themselves on how closely they mimic the tributee act.

A well-known tribute act spent thousands of dollars to track down the same silk that was used to line the lead singer's cloak, used on the opening song.

I approached the bassist of said band at an after-show at the Royal Albert Hall. Being left-handed, I asked him if he was learning to play right-handed to look the part (I had been enjoying the free drinks). I, ahem, can't remember his answer unfortunately

• Haha 1

In my classic rock band (the one without a singer) we do a lot of the 70s stuff but really do Dio-era Rainbow well, and could probably do a tribute type band for that. But finding someone who could sing anywhere near like Dio would be practically impossible, and it’s the vox that would sell that.

I did a whole week of tribute bands a few years back - Letz Zep, Think Floud, The ZZ Tops, Livewire, etc. at "Rhodes Rock". Personally I was just into the music, and loved how close to the original sound some of the bands got. How they looked wasn't important to me, though some were very good - e.g. Livewire had a Bon Scott for the first set, and a Brian Johnson for the second, which was kinda cool. The ZZ Tops beards looked real, which is a commitment over and beyond!

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

All the other comments above (mine included) not withstanding, whatever the act the audience has to enjoy it otherwise what is the point? So I get what you're saying. A tribute act at whatever level has to be careful that it doesn't take itself too seriously (however good they are, they are not the original band) but at the same time it has to be good enough to justify the 'tribute' tag. A fine line which will vary depending on the act being tributed as well as the level of venue (e.g. pub or theatre) and the expectations of the audience. 

Yes, to be fair APF were in the Utilita Arena, while Thin Ice were in the Ex-Servicemens' Club.

• Like 1

I've seen a few over the years and to me it's just a fun gig (If you like the music). I don't care how accurate everything is, it's just the vibe I like. Most punters won't have a clue how close to the originals the music is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rosie C said:

I did a whole week of tribute bands a few years back - Letz Zep, Think Floud, The ZZ Tops, Livewire, etc. at "Rhodes Rock". Personally I was just into the music, and loved how close to the original sound some of the bands got. How they looked wasn't important to me, though some were very good - e.g. Livewire had a Bon Scott for the first set, and a Brian Johnson for the second, which was kinda cool. The ZZ Tops beards looked real, which is a commitment over and beyond!

Similar, I saw a Deep Purple tribute a few years back where, after the first set, "Gillan" and "Glover" changed their costumes and wigs, and returned for the second set as "Coverdale" and "Hughes". They then threw in some Rainbow stuff as well, wish I could remember what they were called 'cos they were blooming good.

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Comparing the two Pink Floyd tributes I've seen in the last year, one was Australian Pink Floyd, 'nuff said. The other  a local band with multiple keyboard players, a woman on keys and main vocals. Two guitarists,  one of whom looks like Roger Waters(!) The other keys players doubled on sax and bass.

I've also seen an excellent new Steely Dan tribute. They had ten people, eight of whom were wearing check shirts. They can't  have eight Donald Fagens...

Continuing on the Deep Purple theme, I would suggest that these ladies are a cut above your average tribute band, although obviously there's one major factor which prevents them meeting the criteria of being 100% like the original band! I'd certainly place them in the "real gig" category, and suspect there's not many "tribute" acts would be playing the band's new single, released on 30th April, live on 4th May. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I think that you've got it exactly right there! 

People can like tribute bands for different reasons, just like they can for any other band they go to see. First of all, you've got to be a good band that is worth seeing, and secondly, you have to be a tribute in some way, in terms of image or sound or attitude or whatever. As a tribute band, you are trying to satisfy different sections of the audience at the same time: the hardcore nerds who want to hear some of the more obscure stuff and for it to sound exactly how they think it should, the normal fan of the band who just wants to hear a reasonably accurate version of the songs that they loved when they were growing up and the more casual fan who just want to hear all of the hits and aren't too bothered about anything else! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, tony_m said:

although obviously there's one major factor which prevents them meeting the criteria of being 100% like the original band!

Roger Glover's beard? 

• Haha 1

The first band I was in was not a JD tribute per se (I don't think tribby acts were as yet a 'thing' in the early 80s) but our set was a good 80% JD songs.  This wasn't that long after Ian C had departed us.  I don't think we had the look; the vox certainly didn't try and copy the mannerisms, but we did try and do justice to the originals.  That gave me an appreciation for the effort required to make the songs authentic, the sound was deceptively difficult to reproduce, particularly the 'darkness' on the Unknown Pleasures' tracks.

But time moves on and I agree more is now expected of a tribute act, we expect authenticity in sound, actions and looks I guess and for the top end tributes this is required.  I don't play in a tribute but being genre specific we do aim for authentic sound, actions and dress.  We were once criticised for wearing wigs as opposed to having long 'period correct' hairstyles on one occasion (quite tough for at least one of our number who is follically challenged) so some punters do take this quite seriously.

31 minutes ago, tony_m said:

Continuing on the Deep Purple theme, I would suggest that these ladies are a cut above your average tribute band, although obviously there's one major factor which prevents them meeting the criteria of being 100% like the original band! I'd certainly place them in the "real gig" category, and suspect there's not many "tribute" acts would be playing the band's new single, released on 30th April, live on 4th May. 

There's another all female Purple tribute, also very good indeed, Diva Purple!

• Like 7

Years ago I cut my roadie teeth working for a Stones tribute act who took attention to detail to a whole new level.  They had a plethora of vintage instruments onstage (I think 22 was the most I counted) and all of those were period-correct and song-correct (as in if Keith Richards once played Street Fighting Man on a white 1963 LP Junior, for example, then a guitar of the same type and age would sometimes be used for that song.  If he'd not played the song live with that type of guitar it wouldn't be used by the guy who played his parts).  Their costumes were either original clothing or carefully made replicas. Amps were similarly accurate.  The mannerisms of the actual Stones (or lack thereof where Bill Wyman was concerned) were reproduced by the guys at every show.

It all made for a lot of work to stage and the gear cost a fortune but the band was just brilliant and set the standard I've always judged tribute acts on since.  Whilst tributes generally aren't my thing there was no denying that these guys were not just some guys with wigs who could play Stones tunes.  The song choices were not just the hits, either - sometimes the Stones would play an album track or a deep cut, and those were all features of the set at various points (including Chickensucker Blues...).

If you're going to be in the tribute game  I think this is the way to do it.

• Like 4

On 21/05/2024 at 13:28, Lozz196 said:

A mate of mine really raves about Livewire, says they`re the best AC/DC tribute he`s seen (I will get round to seeing at some point).

My (now deceased) best mate used to be the Malcolm in Livewire. They are a properly committed bunch and well worth a watch if you are a fan of ACDC

As @Rosie C mentions, the 2 part set with different singers is a nice touch. Highly recommended 👌 

• Like 3

This is my old friend and vocalist Paul Henderson who was in the first rock band I played in during the 1980’s.

Paul was always a massive Bowie fan and always sounded very similar vocally, Paul now goes out as Aladdinsane with a full band as a Bowie tribute act, he gigs all over world.

This video is from the Black Star album launch party in Germany, he was specially invited over to perform solo, I presume this was the house band they provided, they have definitely gone big time on the visuals.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2024 at 10:43, cetera said:

and 'between song banter' should also be familiar/in style of.

Interesting you should pick up on this. I have a friend who is a successful, very good (IMO) Prince tribute. Full band, costumes, custom guitar, voice and look all very believable. The above is the only weak link, but I don't think it bothers the vast amount of punters, and he has built up quite a loyal following.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/05/2024 at 14:30, tony_m said:

Had the pleasure of being on a three band blues tour with Eliana, the guitarist as SKOW. Great singer and guitarist, and lovely person. So pleased she is having success with this, but another example of original music not paying the bills! Mind you, she has an amazing work ethic, with at least two other active bands!

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 2

That SKOW Deep purple tribute looked good . I enjoyed that vid .

Actually better than when I saw Deep Purple at Wembley back in the '80s.  Gillan coughing more than singing etc . 
One truly awful gig . 

Another band that deserve a mention is The Iron Maidens . Unfortunately never got round to seeing them . 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 11:11, BigRedX said:

I'm trying not to be critical but to understand what a tribute band audience actually want.

I'd want a tribute band to dress exactly like the original band, and sound exactly like the original band, and have period correct looking instruments and road crew too.

Maybe also comfortable seating and a roast dinner, perhaps with profiteroles or tiramisu for dessert. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, meterman said:

I'd want a tribute band to dress exactly like the original band, and sound exactly like the original band, and have period correct looking instruments and road crew too.

Maybe also comfortable seating and a roast dinner, perhaps with profiteroles or tiramisu for dessert. 

'Go' for the profiteroles. A nice cuppa afterwards, naturally. ^_^

• Like 1