Why become a member? ×

Eurovision

It's back.

2 hours of Binga bonga do do  zippy yakka noo.

Hmm, 5 songs into the preliminary rounds nothing stands out. Our entry is pants. 

Bring back Stock Aitken & Waterman. Never really a fan but they knew how to write a hook in those days.

I haven't watched the Eurovision since 1956 but it's awful every year and I needed to tell you all!

Nah, not really, just wanted to be first to say it, this year.

The bar has been set low so far, but we live in hope there might be something good.

• Like 1

My wife is going (as she has for the past few years). It's easy to be cynical but there's a hugely supportive community of people who love it. They're not judged by their size, sexuality or anything else.  Eurovision isn't my thing, but fair play. And I've been to the final once too and it was pretty cool event. 

Oh, and my cousins used to teach Ollie Alexander and he sent her a nice message as well. 

Good luck to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leschirons said:

Bring back Stock Aitken & Waterman. Never really a fan but they knew how to write a hook in those days.

Nostalgia for Stock Aitken and Waterman. I never thought I would see the day. 

The thing about Eurovision nowadays is it's become too self-conscious.  Put simply, it's not quite good enough to be good, but it's not quite bad enough to be entertaining either.

Eurovision used to be captivating because of it's unintentional quirkiness. Now that it's contrived to be that way it's lost that unique charm it once had.

I

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

The thing about Eurovision nowadays is it's become too self-conscious.  Put simply, it's not quite good enough to be good, but it's not quite bad enough to be entertaining either.

Eurovision used to be captivating because of it's unintentional quirkiness. Now that it's contrived to be that way it's lost that unique charm it once had.

I

This. 

I miss all of the intentionally bonkers entries, though the unintentionally bonkers ones make up for it. 

• Like 1

With the cross-proliferation of media and regular exposure to other cultures and languages, the prospect of being surprised by Latvian quirkiness is probably unlikely. The last few post-covid cancellation editions have had a few very listenable songs sprinkled throughout but last night was a bit of a stinker, I thought, musically. Still entertaining, but there wasn't a song I'd ever want to hear in the future. Roll on tomorrow, though. We go again 😁

9 hours ago, Misdee said:

Now that it's contrived to be that way it's lost that unique charm it once had.

Exactly this ^^^^

Add to this the predictable, dissenting commentary from whomever the BBC employ, makes it even more contrived. 

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I'll be watching the final,as I'm still housebound with my back.

A few beers, some snacks and not taking it seriously is the order of the day

Same. My girlfriend can be hilariously cynical, so that should be entertaining :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, police squad said:

A few beers, some snacks and not taking it seriously is the order of the day

The way to approach life in general, methinks.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, leschirons said:

They did come back, in 2010. Well 2/3rd's of them did and came last with 10 points.

I'm not sure why it came last - Quantized Sequencing at it's very best along with terrific vocals, especially the backing singers... Although, for some reason my cat left the room at the end and I haven't seen him since.

Sorry. I'm being mean...As it happens, I do enjoy the competition and always have done. Plenty of fun, although at times, it can be a case of 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly'.

:D

"That Sounds Good to Me" is a song written and composed by Pete Waterman, Mike Stock and Steve Crosby that finished last when it represented the United Kingdom at the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 held in Oslo, Norway. The song and performer was revealed as Josh Dubovie on 12 March 2010 who won Eurovision: Your Country Needs You.

I'm not sure why it came last - Quantized Sequencing at it's very best along with terrific vocals, especially the backing singers... Although, for some reason my cat left the room at the end and I haven't seen him since.

On 07/05/2024 at 20:53, leschirons said:

Hmm, 5 songs into the preliminary rounds nothing stands out. Our entry is pants. 

Seems we are one of 5 countries who get a free pass to the finals.

"The UK did not have to worry about the public vote on Tuesday. It is one of five countries that qualifies automatically for the final, due to its financial contribution to the contest. Sweden, who were last year's winners, also get a free pass."

Well, I gave it a long, very long, fifteen minutes or so from when the show itself started; I shan't be doing that again soon. I suppose there's a Market for it all that I'm not a part of. Never mind; I've books to read :| ... 

I’m watching it at the moment, not heard anything that I particularly like yet but I do think that our entry is a very Eurovision sounding song, something I think the last few years have missed. We’re still gonna get nil points though.