Why become a member? ×

Eurovision

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Norris said:

I was gigging. Did I miss much?

There have been worse years ! It wasn't too bad...no real yawners, a few rather obvious no-hopers, but overall not bad at all. A nice silly evening.

Armenia, though...robbed ;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

The UK got zero points for the public vote. Time we stopped wasting money on this farce.

Agreed. We should do one last year and then give it up. For our last entry, the song should be called "Yeah We Get It, You All Hate Us".

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

The UK got zero points for the public vote. Time we stopped wasting money on this farce.

Never underestimate the bitterness and resentment felt towards Britain by so many people across the world. 

To us Eurovision is a joke. To a lot of the other nations it's a serious matter of national pride, such is their cultural poverty compared to our own. Those  hapless Eurovision entries that we tune in to laugh at really are the best they can do when it comes to pop music. They can't forgive us for that. 

That said, the UK entry was indeed crap. He got what he deserved. Thank goodness. Do we really want to have to stage Eurovision ever again now that it has become this ridiculous political football?  Switzerland was the default voting choice because of it's  famous history of political neutrality. I'm sure Eurovision will now find a way to try and drag them into World War 3.

Edited by Misdee

48 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agreed. We should do one last year and then give it up. For our last entry, the song should be called "Yeah We Get It, You All Hate Us".

And to spite everyone, it would of course win.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Never underestimate the bitterness and resentment felt towards Britain by so many people across the world. 

To us Eurovision is a joke. To a lot of the other nations it's a serious matter of national pride, such is their cultural poverty compared to our own. Those  hapless Eurovision entries that we tune in to laugh at really are the best they can do when it comes to pop music. They can't forgive us for that. 

That said, the UK entry was indeed crap. He got what he deserved. Thank goodness. Do we really want to have to stage Eurovision ever again now that it has become this ridiculous political football?  Switzerland was the default voting choice because of it's  famous history of political neutrality. I'm sure Eurovision will now find a way to try and drag them into World War 3.

Yeah, agreed, EV is very serously for Latvia, but not for me. I never ever watched any semi or final at tv.

Great show, production was outstanding, no idea why people hate on it so much.  Loved Ireland, Norway was great and Croatia surely should have won.  Switzerland was pretty bang average, no idea how they managed that.

UK was DREADFUL and over-performed really thanks to the jury vote.  The staging was decent but really didn't mask how bland a track it was.

And it's not all about people hating the UK, look at 2 years ago, if Putin hadn't have united the world behind Ukraine, we would have comfortably won it.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Kev said:

Great show, production was outstanding, no idea why people hate on it so much...

I'm not sure that 'hate' is the right word, for me at least. My tastes in music could be described as 'eclectic', but with some notable exceptions, one of which is 'big beat', '1-1-1-1-...' Disco EDM, often accompanied by megatons of over-production. The tasteless lighting, stroboscopic flashing and incomprehensible choreography, each vying with the other to shock, don't inspire me to much more than reach for the 'off' switch. It's true I'm not in the target demographic, and I've never understood the 'disco' craze, either (as a technicien, I've installed too many disco lighting and sound systems to be impressed...), as I don't (read 'can't'...) dance, and don't drink anything stronger than Earl Grey (and even that's weak, when I make it...). 'Hate'..? No; if other folk derive some pleasure from it all, let 'em fill their boots, but don't try to tell me that it's 'quality music', 'cos it's not. It's forgettable pulp, throw-away nonsense that, for almost all of the 'songs' presented, will never be heard of again. To have anything visual needed to 'sell' the stuff says a lot. None of the 'songs' will ever have a performance with that same, or anything like close, backdrop. It's not a problem; it's all forgotten until next year, when, like the Christmas baubles for the tree, the band-wagon is rolled out again. So, Eurovision..? Whatever... :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

I didn't watch it at all this year ... preferring Notts Forest v Chelsea, Clarkson's Farm and a bit of Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm just a curmudgeonly old man, but how anyone in this country would be right-minded enough to even consider entering it is beyond me.  It's a 100% (musical) career killer.

Long gone are (what I suppose) the good old days of entente cordiale, Katie Boyle, fair play and voting for whether a song actually has merit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not sure that 'hate' is the right word, for me at least. My tastes in music could be described as 'eclectic', but with some notable exceptions, one of which is 'big beat', '1-1-1-1-...' Disco EDM, often accompanied by megatons of over-production. The tasteless lighting, stroboscopic flashing and incomprehensible choreography, each vying with the other to shock, don't inspire me to much more than reach for the 'off' switch. It's true I'm not in the target demographic, and I've never understood the 'disco' craze, either (as a technicien, I've installed too many disco lighting and sound systems to be impressed...), as I don't (read 'can't'...) dance, and don't drink anything stronger than Earl Grey (and even that's weak, when I make it...). 'Hate'..? No; if other folk derive some pleasure from it all, let 'em fill their boots, but don't try to tell me that it's 'quality music', 'cos it's not. It's forgettable pulp, throw-away nonsense that, for almost all of the 'songs' presented, will never be heard of again. To have anything visual needed to 'sell' the stuff says a lot. None of the 'songs' will ever have a performance with that same, or anything like close, backdrop. It's not a problem; it's all forgotten until next year, when, like the Christmas baubles for the tree, the band-wagon is rolled out again. So, Eurovision..? Whatever... :|

Yup, it's not for you!

Do I look at it from a quality of musicianship point of view? No.  I listen to progressive metal in my spare time, so eccentric pop isn't my bag.  It's the whole performance, staging and production that entertains me, and if you can criticise particularly the latter two, I don't know what to say! 😅  To do what they do live, it's really impressive, year after year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Great show, production was outstanding, no idea why people hate on it so much.  Loved Ireland, Norway was great and Croatia surely should have won.  Switzerland was pretty bang average, no idea how they managed that.

UK was DREADFUL and over-performed really thanks to the jury vote.  The staging was decent but really didn't mask how bland a track it was.

Agreed, and yes - the UK's was very average chart thump...I was surprised at the votes it got from the juries as well.

Croatia were far better than Switzerland, but neither deserved it as much as Armenia ;)

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Rubbish. had it been sung properly and had a choreografy with less of a 'killroom' vibe, it could have done well enough. 

The jingoism really is a bit of a turn off.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Misdee said:

Send me your narcotics, please!

Where to start?

There is no resentment felt across Europe for Britain, particularly when it comes to the likes of music, comedy and other artistic pursuits, which are massively respected. Your view is a lie sold to you by multiple governments and media sources to make you think Europe was to blame so so many of Britain's recent and not so recent failings. Brexit's not like the brochure, eh? Ever wonder why?

Your second paragraph perfectly illustrates why there should be resentment, however. The Ibiza tourist of posts. Take your head out of your arse, lad. 

As you say, the UK entry was rubbish. Grindr visuals with music not fit for a Wetherspoons advert. Yet you somehow think there's a larger movement at play which was behind other countries not voting for such a terrible song? Was 2022 that long ago? Show some respect, send something entertaining and you get votes. It's oh so simple.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

But the points are awarded by each country for their top 8 songs. Do you honestly think that that song should be in the top 8 songs for anyone?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Send me your narcotics, please!

Where to start?

There is no resentment felt across Europe for Britain, particularly when it comes to the likes of music, comedy and other artistic pursuits, which are massively respected. Your view is a lie sold to you by multiple governments and media sources to make you think Europe was to blame so so many of Britain's recent and not so recent failings. Brexit's not like the brochure, eh? Ever wonder why?

Your second paragraph perfectly illustrates why there should be resentment, however. The Ibiza tourist of posts. Take your head out of your arse, lad. 

As you say, the UK entry was rubbish. Grindr visuals with music not fit for a Wetherspoons advert. Yet you somehow think there's a larger movement at play which was behind other countries not voting for such a terrible song? Was 2022 that long ago? Show some respect, send something entertaining and you get votes. It's oh so simple.

The usual tired and predictable default denigration of Britain as a nation and it's stature in the world. It's not a controversial statement to say that Britain is a great country with an extraordinarily rich history and culture. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

"There is no resentment felt for Britain across Europe..."  None at all? How would you know?  You have your own agenda, regardless of what is actually true, and you have created a false narrative around it, namely that Britain is in a state of crisis whereas the rest of Europe, by comparison, is  both more rational and thriving in every respect. A complete fiction based on feelings not on facts.

"This lie you have been sold by multiple governments and media sources..." ect. You sound like a spotty student handing out leaflets outside McDonald's about the evils of corporate capitalism. Do actually believe this half-baked twaddle? Like all conspiracy theorists, the fundamental mistake you make is overestimating the competence and ability of the supposed conspirators. Multiple governments and media sources can't even sell the truth, let alone a lie.

And how you can possibly conflate Brexit with anything in my post is symptomatic of your one-dimensional viewpoint. "He's critical of other European countries so he must believe in that." Brexit or no Brexit, every single country in Eurovision is a non-entity when it comes to making popular music compared to Britain. That is not really up for debate.  We all know it and so do they. What Brexit has to do with that only you can tell us, but I would point out just how bad European pop music has always been.  Brexit is only a recent phenomenon.

We should show some respect by coming up with a better entry?  Why do we owe respect to anyone? I think we show ample respect by participating. Oh,hang on a minute, I see what you mean. Maybe we should get the Beatles or Led Zeppelin to reform in time for next year's competition in Switzerland. This is Eurovision after all. Only the best is good enough.

Just for your information, I don't mind at all that the rest of Europe is rubbish at pop music compared to Britain and the USA. I enjoy their inadequacy.

All countries and all cultures are not equal in terms of achievements. I'm sorry if you find that idea upsetting but that's just the way the world is. 

And by the  way, Ibiza relies on tourism. Without tourism it would be still be an island of poor peasants and fishermen. They should be grateful. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Last year I was criticised on here for saying I always thought Eurovision was a bit of light entertainment. A big spectacle of camp theatrical nonsense. Allegedly this is British arrogance and Europe takes this seriously and enters their best songs and entertainment. 

So I watched a bit this year and can say I feel as the French or Italians might if this was an international food festival and a chance for the nations of Europe to showcase their finest local produce and everyone turned up with processed cheese and boil in the bag fish curry.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

The usual tired and predictable default denigration of Britain as a nation and it's stature in the world. It's not a controversial statement to say that Britain is a great country with an extraordinarily rich history and culture. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

"There is no resentment felt for Britain across Europe..."  None at all? How would you know?  You have your own agenda, regardless of what is actually true, and you have created a false narrative around it, namely that Britain is in a state of crisis whereas the rest of Europe, by comparison, is  both more rational and thriving in every respect. A complete fiction based on feelings not on facts.

"This lie you have been sold by multiple governments and media sources..." ect. You sound like a spotty student handing out leaflets outside McDonald's about the evils of corporate capitalism. Do actually believe this half-baked twaddle? Like all conspiracy theorists, the fundamental mistake you make is overestimating the competence and ability of the supposed conspirators. Multiple governments and media sources can't even sell the truth, let alone a lie.

And how you can possibly conflate Brexit with anything in my post is symptomatic of your one-dimensional viewpoint. "He's critical of other European countries so he must believe in that." Brexit or no Brexit, every single country in Eurovision is a non-entity when it comes to making popular music compared to Britain. That is not really up for debate.  We all know it and so do they. What Brexit has to do with that only you can tell us, but I would point out just how bad European pop music has always been.  Brexit is only a recent phenomenon.

We should show some respect by coming up with a better entry?  Why do we owe respect to anyone? I think we show ample respect by participating. Oh,hang on a minute, I see what you mean. Maybe we should get the Beatles or Led Zeppelin to reform in time for next year's competition in Switzerland. This is Eurovision after all. Only the best is good enough.

Just for your information, I don't mind at all that the rest of Europe is rubbish at pop music compared to Britain and the USA. I enjoy their inadequacy.

All countries and all cultures are not equal in terms of achievements. I'm sorry if you find that idea upsetting but that's just the way the world is. 

And by the  way, Ibiza relies on tourism. Without tourism it would be still be an island of poor peasants and fishermen. They should be grateful. 

Thank you for validating my post 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2