Why become a member? ×

Quality Radio

The internet has opened the doors to so much content it's difficult keeping track of it all.

I've found a couple of 'local' BBC shows available on the BBC Sounds application which appeal to me and I suspect might work well for other folk of a similar age and musical disposition.

My tastes were formed in the early seventies and waved goodbye to (most) popular music in the mid 80s. These shows probably reflect this.

It would be great to hear what you've found. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y25s?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p02v9nnp?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

If you’re of a certain age, 50’s,60’s,70’s and a bit, Boom Radio is good. DAB or via Tunin. Many of the presenters are ex pirate radio ship DJ’s broadcasting from their homes. So it’s like listening to the old Radio London, but better quality audio.  

• Thanks 1

I love Pick of the Pops on Radio 2. Currently hosted by Gary Davis. I always find any chart between 1977 and 1982 to be absolutely packed full of superb tunes, and some cracking bass lines. 1978 was one from last week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y2kd?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Baker Street

Wuthering Heights

Night Fever

Everyone’s A Winner

Denis

…oh and Brian and Michael’s Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs…

I was 3 in 1978, so I think this period is fused with my early life and memories. But there did seem to be some high quality music in those five years. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

My tastes were formed in the early seventies and waved goodbye to (most) popular music in the mid 80s. These shows probably reflect this.

My favourite is WSM Radio, home of 'Grand Ole Opry'. Live isn't so good with the time zone differences, but there's an on-demand archive on their website https://wsmradio.com

Closer to home, Absolute Country on DAB is always guaranteed to cheer me up when doing cooking, housework, etc.

• Like 1

Surely curated streaming playlists have taken over from radio?

Not only can they be a lot more focussed but there will be plenty for you even if your taste in music isn't mainstream enough to make it onto radio. Plus you can skip anything you're not enjoying.

• Like 1

Networked HD Jukebox for me, I have the Bluesound Vault 2, rips CDs and plays Hi res master files loaded over the network, you can set up the usual playlists if you can be arsed, I've simply split the playlists into one for me and one for the good lady wife, also a "non-shouty" playlist for late night listening.

It generally sits on random play all day and just serves a steady stream of favourite music, the app allows all the usual editing and control functions and I can add network speakers to other parts of the house if I want to, not that I have as yet.

The library gets shunted into Music on my laptop and converted to 320kbps AAC for the iPhone, which then does the duty in the car via CarPlay.

Very occasionally I'll bung Absolute 80s on for a laugh, and I do listen to a bit of LBC in the daytime, again through the Vault, it'll do all the main streaming services, but I don't subscribe to any,

I appreciate there are other options, but I enjoy listening to radio.

My problem is 99% of what's broadcast is garbage.

6 Music is an obvious exception as are the two I provided links for.

Mickey Bradley has excellent taste, chooses bands I've not heard before as well as some absolute classics, oh and he played bass for the Undertones! Why would I want a Spotify playlist when I can listen to a real human like him?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I appreciate there are other options, but I enjoy listening to radio.

My problem is 99% of what's broadcast is garbage.

6 Music is an obvious exception as are the two I provided links for.

Mickey Bradley has excellent taste, chooses bands I've not heard before as well as some absolute classics, oh and he played bass for the Undertones! Why would I want a Spotify playlist when I can listen to a real human like him?

I suppose everyone has different requirements when it comes to "radio".

If I'm listening to music I don't want a lot (if any) chat between tracks. All I need to know is what the song was called and who it's by, so if it's something I like that I've not heard before that I like I can explore further. On a 3rd party curated playlist that information is all in the play list plus I can skip over anything I'm not interested in. Unfortunately most radio has a very low ratio between what I like and what I don't, so I have to endure a lot of music that isn't to my taste before they play something I've not heard before that I like. Also I've found that 6 Music is fine for a few weeks and then I start to realise that they are playing the same limited selection of songs over and over, and I have to take a break for a couple months.

If I want to listen to people talking I'll pick a podcast.

After being a long time Radio 2 listener, recent presenter changes have led me to Greatest Hits Radio.

However, their playlist is somewhat limited to mainly 70s/80’s/90s so I don’t get to hear newer stuff.

Another +1 for Boom Radio - some presenters a bit staid now but the choice of music is good for

my demographic, with lots of songs I haven’t heard for years rather than the usual obvious oldies

played by GHR. They also play a smattering of new stuff too. Just a shame they’re only on DAB,

as our band bus doesn’t have it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose everyone has different requirements when it comes to "radio".

If I'm listening to music I don't want a lot (if any) chat between tracks. All I need to know is what the song was called and who it's by, so if it's something I like that I've not heard before that I like I can explore further. On a 3rd party curated playlist that information is all in the play list plus I can skip over anything I'm not interested in. Unfortunately most radio has a very low ratio between what I like and what I don't, so I have to endure a lot of music that isn't to my taste before they play something I've not heard before that I like. Also I've found that 6 Music is fine for a few weeks and then I start to realise that they are playing the same limited selection of songs over and over, and I have to take a break for a couple months.

If I want to listen to people talking I'll pick a podcast.

I absolutely agree. Which is why I highlighted the shows which I felt were the exception to this. Not one track that didn't interest or entertain. No unnecessary childish yak, just informed or amusing links from which I learned about stuff beyond just the artist name.

I simply wanted to share them with like minded people 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rosie C said:

My favourite is WSM Radio, home of 'Grand Ole Opry'. Live isn't so good with the time zone differences, but there's an on-demand archive on their website https://wsmradio.com

Closer to home, Absolute Country on DAB is always guaranteed to cheer me up when doing cooking, housework, etc.

WSM’s Americana stream is worth a listen. 

I like Radio 2, and especially the evening/night shows that I listen to on way home from band practice. Also used to love listening to the midnight/early morning shows on the way home from gigs.

• Like 1

I listen to R4 and Magic Soul(DAB) in the car and R4 at home.

One time I found a great station, Roots Radio (DAB), when driving in north London, but haven't been able to find it since.

Occasionally I'll listen to various radio stations in New Orleans. Some great music that'll never be played over here.

The big problem with UK-centric radio is the inconsistency; I detest with the whole BBC playlist model of music-for-the-masses thing, where I simply wouldn't hear one song of merit in a day of output.  Add into this commercial radio and, well, no.

Services like TuneIn and myTuner open the world to you musically.  My go to station is W-EQX, an alternative rock station that broadcasts from Manchester, Vermont.  It's just a wonderful thing.  No song repeats, great music.

https://www.weqx.com/

• Like 1

I enjoy to listen to old fashioned radio too.

Danish National Radio's (DR) "P8 Jazz" channel, which is accessed either from streaming online or via DAB radio, and I have discovered a lot of great music through that.

As the name says it is mostly somewhat Jazz related, but they play a good mix of classic, mainstream, but also a fair deal of more "alternative"/periphery jazz, and even some pretty niche "underground" jazz from time to time, though not exactly much of the avantgarde/free jazz variety. 

I have "P8 Jazz" running most day.

The program "Aftenland" ("Eveningland") on "P8 Jazz" that sends each Sunday evening also features a fair deal of folk and other music in of the more calm and soothing variant.

Sometimes I listen to "P6 Beat" too, which is their rock oriented channel, and I discovered some great music through that as well, they play a lot alternative and indie rock, though predominantly of the more modern/current kind. 

And then there is the "Natsværmeren" ("The Moth") program, that sends every night on DR's "P2 Classic", classical music, channel, which sends on old fashioned FM radio as well, where all kind of calm and soothing music is featured, from classical music pieces, to folk, to ambient, e.t.c, and a lot of less commercial stuff as well, love that program.

"Natsværmeren" is probably my favorite radio program.

Of course the talk in between tracks is in Danish though, but you can find it all here: https://www.dr.dk/lyd

And a lot of archived programs too, so you can actually listen to the mentioned programs, even if not currently sending.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Planet Rock during the day for me, albeit via the app. The app is a brilliant thing for me as it allows me skip those performers whose output drives me crazy. Then, Monday-Thursday, from 6-8pm, it’s Get It On, on Radio Scotland. This features a theme, where listeners message in their suggested tunes to the theme and the presenters (who are often more entertaining than the music) line up the tunes based on the amount of requests they receive, personal preference and whether the song has any offensive lyrics (not that they always succeed in applying this rule :D). It’s not always gold but, more often than not, entertaining.

• Like 1

Another Greatest Hits Radio listener here. I moved to them from Radio 2 a couple of years ago and although the content is only 70/80/90's some gems from these era's come out of the woodwork occaisionally. They also the odd special which can be entertaining.

One of the big advantages is they took on most of the best dj's from Radio 2 so Ken Bruce's Pop Master is always on the listening list.

On 18/04/2024 at 16:30, stewblack said:

The internet has opened the doors to so much content it's difficult keeping track of it all.

I've found a couple of 'local' BBC shows available on the BBC Sounds application which appeal to me and I suspect might work well for other folk of a similar age and musical disposition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y25s?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/p02v9nnp?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

I discovered Boom Radio about six months ago,very fitting as i am a Boomer myself with the same tastes as you by the sounds of it. The dial inj my car has never moved since.

• Like 1

Even before moving to France I’d started listening to FIP online, maybe in 2006 or so. It’s the music stations of France Inter. They have an ad-free, news-free, day long programme with an eclectic mix of new and older music, so you get a bit of everything. It’s not all French music either, I’ve heard Black Sabbath played next to some out-there electronica, then some blues or classical, then some funk or soul, and I’m always hearing tunes that are new to me. Or they’ll broadcast live concerts exclusive to the station. Presenters only occasionally make announcements for future shows or events, otherwise there’s no chat.

They also have a range of ‘genre’ stations so you can pick a rock and metal station for the day, or have reggae or jazz, or classical, or left field techno, or a bit of everything in the main station. The jazz and reggae programming is decent, and often has me checking to see what’s currently playing.

A couple of pirate stations in Brighton used to rebroadcast FIP from Kemptown to Hove. I guess now it’s all online there’s no need. 

https://www.radiofrance.fr/fip

• Like 1

For Americana and roots stuff I often go to Kpig.com. It’s internet only and subscription (I discovered it years ago before they introduced the Sub) but it broadcasts a great variety of old and new. Some quirky presenters too. 

• Like 1