Why become a member? ×

How do you deal with performance nerves/imposter syndrome

I've been asked to step in to replace a bass player at a monthly jam session (A group leader with a few supporting players ... including bass and a large gang (30ish) of folks who join in).

I received the 'setlist' a week or so back and an familiar with about half the songs, the other I've hit up on youtube.  All the song sheets have simple chords and we'll have them on stands as we play.

I do not imagine that the group is expecting a Guy Pratt level of performance, I suspect that roots/fifths with the occasional twiddly bit will do nicely (And this is in my skill set), but ...

• First time with this group
  • Playing up at front
  • Only bass player ... so flipping obvious if/when I screw up

I sorta know that this is in my capabilities but my tummy is jammed full of butterflies and they are very active!

I wondered what tips/techniques/advice BC massive can offer to help deal with these nerves/imposter feelings?

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

I wondered what tips/techniques/advice BC massive can offer to help deal with these nerves/imposter feelings?

Beligerence.  You are the best bass player in the building at that time playing a bass.  Oi, smartarse heckler, come up here and have a go if you think you're good enough - thought not - back in your box then.

They could have asked anyone to take the gig on, but they asked you.

Don't dwell on mistakes.  Accept that they happen - pick the song up again ASAP and forget about it - the time for analysis is after the gig.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 12

15 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

I've been asked to step in to replace a bass player at a monthly jam session (A group leader with a few supporting players ... including bass and a large gang (30ish) of folks who join in).

I received the 'setlist' a week or so back and an familiar with about half the songs, the other I've hit up on youtube.  All the song sheets have simple chords and we'll have them on stands as we play.

I do not imagine that the group is expecting a Guy Pratt level of performance, I suspect that roots/thirds with the occasional twiddly bit will do nicely (And this is in my skill set), but ...

• First time with this group
  • Playing up at front
  • Only bass player ... so flipping obvious if/when I screw up

I sorta know that this is in my capabilities but my tummy is jammed full of butterflies and they are very active!

Sam x

There was a time that Jaco couldn't play harmonics. There was a time that Victor Wooten couldn't double thumb. There was a time Billy Sheehan couldn't tap.

The point is we all go through a learning process. So don't think of yourself as an imposter, and just enjoy 😎

• Like 5

Go for it Sam! 
As long as you’re well-prepared and supported by the rest, what’s the worst that can happen?

After a few years of those feeling you’re having I gave myself a good talking-to and decided that the worries about battered ego and concerns about what other people thought of me was just a type of narcissism. Do your homework and be yourself and I’m sure you’ll love it.

I’ve been reading about your sailing exploits in “Off Topic” - and you're anxious about playing a bass in front of people? 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len_derby said:

I’ve been reading about your sailing exploits in “Off Topic” - and you're anxious about playing a bass in front of people? 😂

It's odd indeed ... I'm happy to stand up in front of a large audience and talk (And I love it!), but this particular jam ... I'm feeling very nervous!

Sam x

• Like 2

The best way to deal with those kinds of nerves is to remember you are not the focus of attention. It would be different if you were a soloist, but you are very much in a supporting role and most people will hardly notice what you do. And as others say, you won't be the worst bassist in the building.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

It's odd indeed ... I'm happy to stand up in front of a large audience and talk (And I love it!), but this particular jam ... I'm feeling very nervous!

Sam x

I get that. I do a lot of public speaking and I’ve fronted bands but every now and again the self confidence just disappears for an unknown reason.

• Like 1

Keep it simple on your left hand - you haven't said what genre it is but root-5-octave covers a lot of sins, and for blues [1] use a simple walking bass line (root-3-5-3 will do it). Try to avoid being ploddy with your right hand. You just need to get through it and realise that you can manage it, and it'll be easier next time.

[1] For future reference, Folsom Prison Blues is country, not blues.

• Like 1

Despite having done hundreds of gigs prior, I suffered from terrible performance anxiety issues all the way through uni. I came very close a few times to dropping out. It wasn't helped by the fact that some of the tutors shouldn't have been teaching at that level. They were great bassists but awful tutors. Two tutors however were fabulous and gave me loads of advice.

Always prepare well

Do everything you can to avoid unnecessary anxiety. 

Relax properly beforehand. Set up, then remove yourself from the performance space and just sit quietly, focusing on what you have to do. It's a form of meditation.

Avoid alcohol. I don't drink anyway, but it doesn't help. Also, avoid too much caffeine.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 4

I never normally get nerves during a performance, and certainly never imposter syndrome- confidence has never been an issue for me.

The only time I ever had a dose of stage fright was the first time I played mandolin live.  Was just about to start and it suddenly all closed on me. Nothing to do other than grit my teeth and get through it, managed it without any massive musical clangers and been fine ever since.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, neepheid said:

They could have asked anyone to take the gig on, but they asked you.

Don't dwell on mistakes.  Accept that they happen - pick the song up again ASAP and forget about it - the time for analysis is after the gig.

^^^^ This.

Also remember, it’s just a jam, most of the other folk will probably be busking to a certain degree.

• Like 1

Ultimately, you're there to have fun! Take it from someone who only in the last few years (been playing almost 20) has stopped beating themselves up for every mistake. 

As others have said you will want to give a good account of yourself but mistakes will always happen, 9/10 the audience don't notice and if its a jam its going to be more relaxed.

• Like 1

Lots of good advice. For me there's three things:

- Pre-gig nerves are about the unknown and by definition there's not a lot you can do about the unknown. So be generally prepared, know the basics (ie the set list). I make crib sheets up for the songs I'm not sure about - they're basically simplified chord charts (or detailed set lists) with only the bits I'm not sure about written in as a prompt. I don't expect to sight read from them.

- On the night nerves: As has been said above, the rest of the band think you're good enough, so you must be, but it sounds like you haven't accepted it yet. Its a jam session so there will be mistakes but let them go. Most people will be concentrating on the folks getting up to jam so you won't be the focus. And most non-musicians will not spot bass mistakes. Once you've made a couple and realised its ok, your confidence will grow and you'll be able to...

- ENJOY! 😃

Good luck

(And don't forget to let us know how it went).

• Like 1

If you lose your place, turn down your volume pot to very low till you work out what to do. 
watch the guitarist’s hand so you can figure out what chord he is on and that might jog you into place. Obviously don’t look for too long as you’ll either barf, or worse, turn into a guitard

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

There's 3 jam nights in my area and all have different formats, you're probably not expected to play on every song. In my experience, jammers are desperate to get up on stage. If there's any decent bass players you can get them up to play, especially if they know the songs you're not 100% sure of. Most jam nights don't attempt to busk through Bohemian Rhapsody, they usually keep things simple. 

• Like 1

Nervous? Not worthy? Doubting yourself?

They asked you to do this. They must think you're OK. Believe in their judgement. Just do whatever it was that got you the gig.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 17:19, tauzero said:

you haven't said what genre

Just about everything! lol 

First Half - Book 19

1. Nowhere Man (Song 1)

2. If Not For You (Song 4)

3. Wanted Man (Song 5)

4. Feeling Groovy (Song 9)

5. Sloop John B (Song 11)

6. Human (Song 13)

7. Chain Reaction (Song 20)

8. Eternal Flame (Song 21)

9. Wonderful Tonight (Song 23)

10. San Francisco Bay Blues (Song 24)

11. Elenore (Song 26)

12. Everywhere (Song 27)

In Reserve -  Gentle On My Mind (Song 31)

Second Half - Book 18

1. Video Killed The Radio Star (Song 1)

2. Up On The Roof (Song 2)

3. Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yester-Day (Song 6)

4. Can’t Get You Out Of MyHead (Song 7)

5. Memories (Song 😎

6. You Can’t Do That (Song 9)

7. My Life (Song 10)

8. Tobacco Road (Song 12)

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling (Song 13)

10. Something In The Air (Song 16)

11. Paradise (Song 24)

12. Things We Said Today (Song 25)

In Reserve -  Everything I Own (Song 29)

Sam x

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

If you lose your place, turn down your volume pot to very low till you work out what to do. 
watch the guitarist’s hand so you can figure out what chord he is on and that might jog you into place. Obviously don’t look for too long as you’ll either barf, or worse, turn into a guitard

Or even stop playing and pick it up again from a known phrase / point / sensible restart point.

• Like 1

How do I deal with it? I am basically doing an act when I'm on stage. I enjoy what I'm doing but I shared video of my last gig with a friend and was told I didn't look comfortable! Need to work on the act!!!

I used to really beat myself up about mistakes, my first ever gig I walked off gutted, turns out the drummer was the only person who realised what was going wrong and it was no biggy. It's not a sport, like it's not the FA Cup Final... If you make a small mistake do it again next time that phrase comes around, people will think you meant it. I think Marcus Miller said that. I do it and it works. If you make a massive mistake turn sideways so the audience can see you mouth "@££&!!!" At the drummer 😎😄😄

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

If you make a small mistake do it again next time that phrase comes around, people will think you meant it. I think Marcus Miller said that.

Yes, 'twas he. I do it too where it's appropriate.

• Haha 1