Why become a member? ×

Mark Knopfler auction in progress

Oh great! Now I’m watching it instead of doing whatever it was I was doing which was incredibly important, probably..

Wonder if they’re actually all just relabelled Harley Benton’s. 

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Oh, I don't know if the world is any madder for doing this kind of thing. Some people have more money than others. Some have more talent and renown than others. In this case, the latter is being rewarded by the former, and a couple of charities get a decent chunk of the proceeds. Is that really such a terrible redistribution of values?

Guess it depends who’s buying them. Inherited wealth? Tax dodging billionaires? Tony Blair?

It’s great that 25% is going to charity and I have nothing against Mark. In fact, he, Clapton and Gilmour are all massive supporters of charity and should be commended.

It’s the explicitly and egregious show of wealth on display. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

We see it all day, every day. It's all around us.

Ain’t that the truth.

On an unrelated note, I wonder why a museum in the Uk doesn’t purchase these and ensure they remain here.

Music and culture is arguably the UK’s biggest gift to the world and we should celebrate it. 

These cultural artefacts have changed more peoples lives than pretty much any modern art piece…

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Guess it depends who’s buying them. Inherited wealth? Tax dodging billionaires? Tony Blair?

It’s great that 25% is going to charity and I have nothing against Mark. In fact, he, Clapton and Gilmour are all massive supporters of charity and should be commended.

It’s the explicitly and egregious show of wealth on display. 

Those prices are sickening. I hope some of them will be played again some day.

13 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Anyone care to do a back-of-a-fag packet calculation of how much the total was?

I didn't watch the whole thing but from the bits I did I wouldn't be at all suprised if this has set some sort of record for a guitar auction.

• Like 1

.even though one of the first solos I learned was Sultans of Swing. I still can't forgive him for dissing Jeff Becks solo on Private Dancer. Saw Beck last year......there is no comparison. So miss Becks playing.....legend and genuine trailblazer. RIP Jeff Beck

i

2 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

.even though one of the first solos I learned was Sultans of Swing. I still can't forgive him for dissing Jeff Becks solo on Private Dancer. Saw Beck in 2022 at Sheffield......there is no comparison. So miss Becks playing.....legend and genuine trailblazer. RIP Jeff Beck

i

6 hours ago, Cato said:

That auctioneer may be the most charismatic person I've even seen in my life 

Essentially all she's doing is reciting numbers but I'm absolutely mesmerised.

It’s a clever mantra that just encourages people to go just one more bid.

6 hours ago, Cato said:

That auctioneer may be the most charismatic person I've even seen in my life 

Essentially all she's doing is reciting numbers but I'm absolutely mesmerised.

She was great. Soooo watchable!

Can’t decide if it was cheesy, crap or brilliant that for the last lot the auctioneer and a load of the phone bidders put on red sweat bands for the last lot… probably all three simultaneously!

14 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I wonder which guitars he’s keeping.

I was looking at the National guitar, lot 37 from memory. But then I read the detail and it's not the one from the Brothers in Arms album. Makes me wonder how many guitars he has!

15 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Ain’t that the truth.

On an unrelated note, I wonder why a museum in the Uk doesn’t purchase these and ensure they remain here.

Music and culture is arguably the UK’s biggest gift to the world and we should celebrate it. 

These cultural artefacts have changed more peoples lives than pretty much any modern art piece…

Very true. But you don't see many paint brushes on the gallery walls, only the masterpieces created with them. 

Maybe our new museum should have headphones to listen to great music, and a couple of rooms with concert-level systems in for the bands whose greatest works were all live?