Why become a member? ×

Best rehearsal room rig ever?

I use my own amp in our rehearsal space, because it's just a room that the drummer leases from the council.

Any time I've used commercial rehearsal space, it's been a ragtag of mismatched stuff.  Sometimes the heads are OK - notable heads that I remember have been the Ampeg Portaflex PF-500 and Hartke HA3500.  They're usually plugged into something unidentifiable which has long since lost its logo/branding (and half its coating/carpet).

12 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Band rehearsal tonight and this was my rig

IMG_20240130_192212.thumb.jpg.444be58bf7ac42d1c488899bd89c8405.jpg

I expected to be blown away, sadly the sound was very lacklustre despite much knob twiddling. Still, must be £3,000 worth there at new prices.

The other rigs I've used at this rehearsal space are all full-house Markbass stacks. Our two guitarists were salivating over the Fender Reverb's they were using.

Having spent years at Prate using knackered Ashdown gear or other rehearsal spaces with ancient Peavey or Marshall gear, this we're using now place is a luxury

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rich said:

The place we used the other night (Firebird in Bristol) has a range of different bass rigs to choose from. 

https://firebirdstudios.co.uk/category/equipment/amplifiers/bass-amp/

I've never been to Firebird, but it's the place RockSchool's also assigns me for exams, despite being in deepest, darkest Wales.  That does look like a decent line up of equipment though!

Our local studio has an Orange Terror and an orange 1x12" cab.

It looks tiny and when I walked in and saw it I regretted not bringing my amp and cab.

But it's a serious bit of kit for something so small!

• Like 1

Last year, we had a brief rehearsal and video shoot in The Engine Rooms in Bow.  In the main room (where we did the shoot), they'd just piled in backline to make us look big rawk and there was an SWR Workingman's 8004 going into an 8x10 (the photo below is off their website, ignore the thing sitting on top of the 8004).  I just plugged in without any talent boosters and had a noodle.  Quite stunned at how good it sounded, little bit of grunt/dirt, scooped mids.  Quite lovely really. 

image.png.0115ddc708ca324a90a711732d22b258.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I could name and shame too many studios over the years 

I won't name the studio, but my worst experience - I turned up for a classical piano exam and the staff had to explain they didn't have a piano. 

• Haha 1

On 30/01/2024 at 22:19, ricksterphil said:

Band rehearsal tonight and this was my rig

IMG_20240130_192212.thumb.jpg.444be58bf7ac42d1c488899bd89c8405.jpg

I expected to be blown away, sadly the sound was very lacklustre despite much knob twiddling. Still, must be £3,000 worth there at new prices.

Should have mentioned where

https://www.facebook.com/QuadStudios

Lovely rehearsal rooms and great gear

On 31/01/2024 at 11:14, ricksterphil said:

The other rigs I've used at this rehearsal space are all full-house Markbass stacks. Our two guitarists were salivating over the Fender Reverb's they were using.

Having spent years at Prate using knackered Ashdown gear or other rehearsal spaces with ancient Peavey or Marshall gear, this we're using now place is a luxury

Knackered Ashdown gear seems to be the way of it, although the room we normally book has a 40W Rumble combo and a 4x10 Hartke cab outside it - not sure how one is supposed to combine these though!

• Like 1

It's not the studio's fault if the gear is knackered. Testing everything after every band has been in never happens and then chasing bands for busted gear is never going to happen. 

Many years ago I found a Trace Elliot 4x10 where every driver was torn. How does that happen without the bass player hearing it? They swapped the cab out for me. 

We rehearse in the live room of a studio, and they've got an Ashdown 810 in there. I find it's total overkill for the space, but apparently they've had a few 410s and people have destroyed them whereas this has the power handling to cope with the abuse.

• Like 1

the rooms we use have Ampeg STV-3 Pro's in every room, with matching Ampeg cabs, 4x10, 6x10 and 8x10 depending on the room.

personally i've never quite got on with the sound so i take my Barefaced 1x12 and markbass head with me anyway

I've come across some pretty shocking amps in other local rooms though, as well as weird rules, when i was playing guitar in another band i was using an orange tiny terror head and would usually just plug into whichever cab was handy, at one place they had a rule that you weren't allowed to plug your amp into the house cabs so i had to use a Marshall 100w head rather than my little 15w one.

In one band we use Farm Factory in Welwyn Garden City, which has Ampeg 810s and various amps, mostly small Peaveys, easy enough to get a decent sound.

In the other band we use Mill Hill Studios, rather unsurprisingly in Mill Hill, they have all sorts, Orange, Laney, Peavey, Warwick, again easy enough to get a decent sound.

Old Chapel in Leeds has Ashdown 810s in every room - I've been very happy just taking my own head down to run with them. In fact I've been going well out of my way to organise practices there!

On the subject of rental, I did a guitar fly-date in Switzerland and only took pedals - in our rider we asked for two 'clean combos', one guitar with "a trem and 22 frets", and another "telecaster or similar". Turned up to find out the supplied backline was two 60s AC30s, a PRS, and a Custom Shop Telecaster which made me a very happy bunny indeed. Our bassist asked for a short scale and got a Mustang PJ and a MarkBass 410 which didn't have quite the same wow factor but did sound great.