Why become a member? ×

Which bass do you want, even though you shouldn't?

BassAgent

I would love one of these. I have no gig for it at all, and don't envisage a suitable one any time in the future, so it would basically never leave the house. But I would love one anyway.

image.png.dc6b21c7d0039779f5ef4adcb30eacc4.png

• Like 2

Theres a vintage jazz bass doing the rounds on reverb and FB at £3k.  74 sunburst, all the right mojo, mainly original bar the pickguard.  Ive literally just bought a cheap jazzer so i can leave my p bass at home on 'dodgy' gigs but that still doesnt mean im not looking to sell EVERYTHING for the jazz on reverb! :)

I have irrational GAS for a Stingray 5, despite having owned one (and several other MM-style basses) that I never used because I never got it to work for me. I didn't like how it sat in the band mix, I didn't like the midscoop, I didn't like the excessive top end / attack, but I loved the neck, the looks and the stability. I am not a knob fiddler, and the Stingray (for me) is a bass that just needs you to work with the onboard EQ to get it to sound right - whereas I prefer my basses to sound good with all the knobs set to neutral, and just use the onboard EQ for subtle tweaks when I need to. 

I have totally rational GAS for a Mustang Bass and a nice Dingwall 5-string - but I'm not really thrilled by the NG3 and Combustion, which are the only models that are offered in a lefty version. 

24 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Theres a vintage jazz bass doing the rounds on reverb and FB at £3k.  74 sunburst, all the right mojo, mainly original bar the pickguard.  Ive literally just bought a cheap jazzer so i can leave my p bass at home on 'dodgy' gigs but that still doesnt mean im not looking to sell EVERYTHING for the jazz on reverb! :)

I think I know the one you mean, looks pretty good, it’s been for sale for a long while, I’m guessing they would take an offer 

• Like 1

Rickenbacker 4003

Epiphone Classic T Bird

Epiphone EB-O

6 string fretless

Ultimately I always come back to my 2011 US P with flats, so although I like the sound and looks of the others listed above, they wouldn't get used very often..

Already have a collection of 10+ that apart from the odd fretless all sit gathering dust.

I have a G&L L2500 tribute (which is a really versatile and great sounding bass)  but I keep eyeing up L2000s, which is the 4 string version. I'm mainly a 4 string player and bought the 5 because I was playing, at the time, in a covers band which played songs in weird keys.

Logically, I don't need the 4 string version because I've got the 5 string version, so why do I keep on eying up the 4 string ones?

Very odd....

I have little GAS desire or a need for more basses, but there's always going to be the odd thing that is so out of reach they're rarely going to come up for sale.  The good thing is that I actually have funds to pretty much scratch any potential itch.  Anyhow, these:

#1 Mike Lull NR Thunderbird (JAX edition, oversized/chambered body).  This is still out there somewhere.  I know it sold for about $2K in 2018.  It was commissioned by Branden Campbell of Neon Trees.

image.png.0fd9ba2448386bbc2cae00c857ba66b2.png

#2  Hamer B12A, commonly described as the Jeff Ament specification:

kxjyvehfrj2fiqmj49oh.jpg

#3  Kubicki Ex-Factor.  One of the early ones, not the Fender models.  I was offered one of the last handful that Phil made and turned it down.  It was ridiculously cheap

image.thumb.png.7c3c3c4e645eb2c7ee4f2af7ef02cd17.png

EDIT#1  (possibly the first of a few)
#4  Now while I wouldn't necessarily pull the trigger on another Rickenbacker, I would consider a Rickenbacker Blackstar.  200 globally.  Another one that got away.  Had the opportunity to pick one up for £900.00 a few years back, now maybe five times that if you could find one.

2015-rickenbacker-4003s-black-5.jpg

EDIT#2
#5 MusicMan Bongo Stealth 5HH.  I had a 5HH in Desert Gold a few years back.  God it was lovely, but I never really tamed the thing; pre-amp was waaaay too hot, you'd start a session and it would sound great, but then you'd keep notching it up and up, three hours later it would sound like mush.  Fantastic design and playability.

image.thumb.png.7c0e42268cfff28fd14960bc8360a791.png

Edited by NancyJohnson
Duplicate photo post.
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

#3  Kubicki Ex-Factor.  One of the early ones, not the Fender models.  I was offered one of the last handful that Phil made and turned it down.  It was ridiculously cheap.

image.thumb.png.299ae1ae70da001f68e81eb9b8eeef3c.png

This would be on my list too, if Kubicki had made lefties. There is only ONE in existance, but it was built for a guy who plays with the low E at the bottom - so the Extender is at the bottom too and useless for lefties who play with the strings in the correct order. GAS cured. Or rather: GAS unresolved :|

Marleaux Spock

Marleaux-Bass-Guitars-Spock-Bass-1200x45

I've played several Marleaux and owned one. I only sold it because of injuries making it too heavy for me anymore. It was the very best bass I have ever played.

The Spock is a lot lighter in weight, and medium scale.

Marleaux are amazing quality, and I'd have one over any Fodera and Ritter etc and Gerald manages to build at that quality for way under half the price of a Fodera. I suspect the local rent in Bavaria is a bit cheaper than New York!

• Like 1

I've also had this in my eBay watch list for a while. Tempting me. Making me thinking about it at all hours of the day........£300 from China. How bad can it be??

image.thumb.png.d750666786fe8c4b29dd85ce9d75d33e.png

I've got zero use for it, but I do love an SG shape.

3 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

I always like the look of Jazzes but once I get one in my hands...

Yep... most of my playing is sitting down, or slouching on the settee...

The Arse Bump just gets in the way...

Hence my 2 Ibby SR Passive J's.

AriaF2M_FLSTBR-17.thumb.jpg.e4c45e509d1e5729f440eeb5361fff42.jpg

I've one these in the basket a couple of times now and just about managed to talk myself out of it.

I think they're beautiful but oddly it's the budget price tag that puts me off.

You can get them for under £300. I'm not a gear snob and own and play a couple Squiers alongside more expensive instruments but I just worry that this is going to turn out to be not as nice as the stuff I've already got.

Also they're big and I'm running out of guitar/bass space.

• Like 5