Why become a member? ×

Concept bands

Is anyone in a band with a very specific concept? Or had a good idea for a concept?

I'm thinking it would be fun to start a band as a side project consisting of the classic four-piece lineup of drums/bass/guitar/vocals playing 70's punk style versions of 70s disco songs - is this a genius idea or a daft idea?

• Like 2

It's a great idea!!!

Just over twenty years ago I had the idea to have a rock band that played covers of songs from the Vietnam war films, all dressed up as American GI's of course. Then there was my acoustic duo where we wanted to do loads of 80s electronics but with acoustic guitars... Didn't get off the ground, sadly.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Is anyone in a band with a very specific concept? Or had a good idea for a concept?

I'm thinking it would be fun to start a band as a side project consisting of the classic four-piece lineup of drums/bass/guitar/vocals playing 70's punk style versions of 70s disco songs - is this a genius idea or a daft idea?

Couldn't be any worse than a reggae band doing Led Zeppelin covers.

• Haha 2

I may have previously mentioned my notional concept band, ABBAration, which would combine the genius of Sweden's two finest musical exports by performing ABBA songs in the style of Opeth, alternating with Opeth songs in the style of ABBA.

• Haha 7

More years ago than I care to recall after a stint depping in a large (six piece) country rock band I decided to do something similar but smaller and nastier and with more of an emphasis on humour. We started The Dooks ( a house hold name in Buzzard County and wanted in three states) and never looked back. 

Most of our set is fairly rowdy , including a countried up version of Ace of Spades.

This is a video we made for one of our original songs based on the characters that inhabit Buzzard County

https://youtu.be/jlD0NWzLYs0?si=8GLV5Kx9fRK1MW1M

Edited by Dom in Dorset
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dom in Dorset said:

More years ago than I care to recall after a stint depping in a large (six piece) country rock band I decided to do something similar but smaller and nastier and with more of an emphasis on humour. We started The Dooks ( a house hold name in Buzzard County and wanted in three states) and never looked back. 

Most of our set is fairly rowdy , including a countried up version of Ace of Spades.

This is a video we made for one of our original songs based on the characters that inhabit Buzzard County

https://youtu.be/jlD0NWzLYs0?si=8GLV5Kx9fRK1MW1M

I think Hayseed Dixie beat you to it....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

No idea if it's daft or genius but I'd pay hard-earned cash to attend every one of your gigs especially if you do One Nation Under a Groove and It's Raining Men.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think Hayseed Dixie beat you to it....

Hayseed Dixie play acoustic bluegrass covers of rock and metal songs. We play electric rocked up country music about 1/3 of which is original material. 

Edited by Dom in Dorset

My mate was in a band that played rockabilly versions of all the standards.  They were a great band in the sense of the playing, arrangements etc but it wore pretty thin pretty quickly.  The first time you heard She Sells Sanctuary played that way it was brilliant, but by the fourth time it was getting dull.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

...but by the fourth time it was getting dull.

That's probably the danger with a tightly set concept. If I do get the idea off the ground I might change it so the band would do covers of any genre/era we fancy doing, but start off with punky disco covers so we don't get painted into a corner. Also I'd probably want to use my Boss SY-1 & AW-3 pedals on certain songs which would make it sound a bit outside the 70s punk style.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

That's probably the danger with a tightly set concept. If I do get the idea off the ground I might change it so the band would do covers of any genre/era we fancy doing, but start off with punky disco covers so we don't get painted into a corner. Also I'd probably want to use my Boss SY-1 & AW-3 pedals on certain songs which would make it sound a bit outside the 70s punk style.

I reckon that as long as it's something you're aware of you should be fine, really.  At least punk and disco have some commonality (as in they're both fun and danceable), whereas rockabilly and moody faux-goth aren't really all that similar!  I can also report that Enter Sandman, Chelsea Dagger and All Day And All Of The Night become pretty wearing when played in that vein, too.

Saw this lot playing in Blackpool donkey's years ago, don't know if they're still going or not. Rocked-up versions of chart / pop stuff e.g. Leaving On A Jet Plane, Video Killed The Radio Star, Waterloo, Crazy Horses as demo'd here...

Maybe not quite what was intended by the OP, but the band Dream Themes strike me as a concept group. 

"Pub covers" band who only play TV theme tunes.

Seen them a couple of times over the years and the crowd always goes bonkers.

• Like 4